Calling all mechanics

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
Hello, is there any other mechanics out there on the BC?
If not, thats o.k too. I'll enjoy any conversation with anyone else, just have not met any mechanics on the BC yet!
As a new guy around here I would love to hear and chat with other users from around the country and see what it's like in your area.
Also any solid advice for a 3 year newbie like me to survive in the world of UPS until retirement would be helpful, and I understand I'm not a driver or loader/un loader, or a Teamster member but I think we're all brothers and sisters and would appreciate any good advice!

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
Oh I thought mechanics were union members lol. You guys are just regular mechanics? How did you get hired on at UPS?

bluehdmc

I thought mechanics were teamsters also. There's a section in the master agreement for trailer shop. I know the supplementals are all different. In NJ mechanics can transfer to feeders. (Not sure if any have transferred to package car drivers). I know that doesn't apply everywhere though.

Some locations the mechanics are members of a different union. Here they are teamsters. Over the years our best stewards have been mechanics.

A

anonymous6

I have never met a bunch of better guys than the UPS mechanics. I almost always take my lunch break with them at the shop lunch room.

op

I have never met a bunch of better guys than the UPS mechanics. I almost always take my lunch break with them at the shop lunch room.

op
One of our mech's is one of my ole' drinkin' buddies. I have since reformed from going clubbing and drinking and chasing wild women....getting a wife you want to spend all your spare time with does that for ya. But he is still a good friend.
One of the other mechs though....wouldn't put him out if he was on fire.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Hello, is there any other mechanics out there on the BC?:happy-very:

I can think of about a dozen off the top of my head. Pip and dragracer66 are two that post from time to time.

I have a great mechanic. I haven't had a roadcall in my regular package car in about ten years.

I did have a problem a couple of months ago though. I took off in a P5 to run EAMs and the clutch went out. I jammed it into gear and made it back to the building, I was only a couple of miles away. I still had one stop left, so I went back to the shop and got a P1000 that was sitting there. I made it about a half mile before the engine went dead and wouldn't start back up. This was two breakdowns before 7:15 in the morning. I called and got another driver to come get that last stop, I wasn't going back out until I got my regular P7.

MechanicForBrown

Oh I thought mechanics were union members lol. You guys are just regular mechanics? How did you get hired on at UPS?
We are union, just not teamster, were International Association of Machinists and Aerospace workers. I got hired into a temp position for peak and then full time after.

Last edited:

MechanicForBrown

One of our mech's is one of my ole' drinkin' buddies. I have since reformed from going clubbing and drinking and chasing wild women....getting a wife you want to spend all your spare time with does that for ya. But he is still a good friend.
One of the other mechs though....wouldn't put him out if he was on fire.
I here that brotha, I know a few colleagues I wouldn't piss on either.:no_flames:

chargedformula

Parts on order, will schedule
fellow mechanic here. i worked the sort for about 6 years then got hired into the trailer shop. been in the shop for about 6 months now. i am also an IAM member. they had no idea what to do or how to move me from teamsters to IAM, but it all got figured out in the end.

MechanicForBrown

fellow mechanic here. i worked the sort for about 6 years then got hired into the trailer shop. been in the shop for about 6 months now. i am also an IAM member. they had no idea what to do or how to move me from teamsters to IAM, but it all got figured out in the end.

Well, welcome to the IAM charged!! How do you like being a trailer rat? LOL What part of the world do you work? And what rate are you at?:happy2:

MechanicForBrown

Yes I am, thank you very much. I'm also enjoying the crappy pay, crappy hours, and crappy working conditions.

What do you mean? What do you do for the company and where in the country? I can agree with the crappy hours but I got used to it real quick! What about your pay? Driver? mechanic? 23.5? loader/unloader? small sort? what? I just want to get a better idea of why your kind of upset.:dissapointed:

chargedformula

Parts on order, will schedule
i like it alot. it is a whole nother world compared to the sort. i work in oak creek wi. my pay is still in my 12 month progression, i am currently at $22 something with a top pay around $25. i previously worked full time at an international truck dealership as a mechanic so i am waiting to go to the journeyman side of things and work on the tractors. there are a couple journeymen retiring this summer but i am thinking with this economy that they will not be filling those positions right away. on the brighter side of things i guess it is better to not be promoted as soon as i would have hoped than to get laid off.