Calling in Sick

vantexan

We have an old guy, and I mean old, 71, who has called in 3 times in last 3 weeks, once a week. He doesn't look any worse when he comes back the next day and since he's off Monday's he's getting a 4 day weekend each week. There's just the three of us plus guy who brings freight so we end up running. We suspect he's about to retire and having a little fun at company's expense. This is a new one for me, had never considered taking my unused sick days before I quit.

dezguy

Why would you end up running if this guy calls in sick? Seems to me, that isn't your problem and something that your manager should be taking care of...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We have an old guy, and I mean old, 71, who has called in 3 times in last 3 weeks, once a week. He doesn't look any worse when he comes back the next day and since he's off Monday's he's getting a 4 day weekend each week. There's just the three of us plus guy who brings freight so we end up running. We suspect he's about to retire and having a little fun at company's expense. This is a new one for me, had never considered taking my unused sick days before I quit.

I say hooray for him. Don't be a fool/tool and run. WAD.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

What?! You walked away from money when you left? I will take every sick day and any other day they won't want to pay me for, before I leave. I will leave nothing on the table. Not one minute worth.

Goldilocks

Van, both me and my spouse will be using all of our sick pay together

l22

who gives a sh1t? Just WAD and don't hit anything.

vantexan

van is off his Passive/Aggressive meds again. For awhile, he was kicking butt.
No, I'm just reporting on something I hadn't seen before. It's irritating having to cover for someone who isn't sick, and not something I'd do to my coworkers. If in a station where swings are looking for work then no problem. But you are misinterpreting my intent.

vantexan

What?! You walked away from money when you left? I will take every sick day and any other day they won't want to pay me for, before I leave. I will leave nothing on the table. Not one minute worth.
Unfortunately my birthday is Jan. 2nd, and I have to work that one last Peak before I can get the retiree airline discount, something I really want. So I started out getting screwed because my courier class was in the city I worked in way back in '88, and will leave with their boot up my rear. So a few sick days don't mean anything, I just want to get through it.

vantexan

Ok? Who cares? Do the work same as any other day. You finish when you finish. What's not done is missed what's late is late.
Except we get our freight late and finish late, in the dark, on normal days. Sometimes I'm off at 2230. It really depends on the particular situation, and in this situation it's a problem.

dezguy

Well Kelsy, you might feel differently if your day got blown up by someone playing hooky.
Why would your day get blown up???? Either the manager sends out help or the packages the courier who called in sick was supposed to have stay with the shuttle driver and go for a ride.

Goldilocks

Why would your day get blown up???? Either the manager sends out help or the packages the courier who called in sick was supposed to have stay with the shuttle driver and go for a ride.

This is a common problem at small stations. When someone calls in then everyone has to absorb that route.