Camping ! Anyone ?

UPS Lifer

I have had enough camping to last a life time.
No more I hope for me.
bondsteel16.jpg

When I was a kid, my brother and I wanted to go camping. My dad had the same feelings as you. He was a WWII Veteran who fought in Battle of the Bulge and said he would never take us camping. I went on a couple of cub scout outings and had to wait until I could drive before camping again. I was a river rat. I camped just about everywhere along the Colorado River and made sure my kids had the experience as well. I miss it terribly. My wife is not a fan of camping :-( - She won't even go in a motorhome (double and triple sad face!).

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
When I was a kid, my brother and I wanted to go camping. My dad had the same feelings as you. He was a WWII Veteran who fought in Battle of the Bulge and said he would never take us camping. I went on a couple of cub scout outings and had to wait until I could drive before camping again. I was a river rat. I camped just about everywhere along the Colorado River and made sure my kids had the experience as well. I miss it terribly. My wife is not a fan of camping :-( - She won't even go in a motorhome (double and triple sad face!).
That sucks. We are planning a trip up to Lake Powell in Aug. with a bunch of friends. I was gonna see if you guys wanted to go. :sad-little:

rod

Retired 22 years

Go with out her. Thats what my wife and I do if our plans aren't mutually agreeable. She has been on lots of "girl" trips and I get my fair share of fishing and racing trips. Lifes too short to have to limit your interests just because someone else don't think its fun.

UPS Lifer

Go with out her. Thats what my wife and I do if our plans aren't mutually agreeable. She has been on lots of "girl" trips and I get my fair share of fishing and racing trips. Lifes too short to have to limit your interests just because someone else don't think its fun.

Believe me, we have done our fair share of separate vacations. Our 40th Anniversary is coming up in August and we are talking about a road trip to Santa Fe.

DS

Fenderbender
Me n the Missy don't camp much no more,years ago I went to Algonquin park with a buddy.
The bear was eating our weiners about 3 feet away,we were in the pup tent ,
he even looked at me but I guess he knew there was lots of easier food to be had and slogged off.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Me n the Missy don't camp much no more,years ago I went to Algonquin park with a buddy.
The bear was eating our weiners about 3 feet away,we were in the pup tent ,
he even looked at me but I guess he knew there was lots of easier food to be had and slogged off.
That would be just a LITTLE scary. We had a camp ground closed a couple of weekends ago (and still is) due to a bear attack. The woman that was attacked suffered only superficial injuries. Game and Fish is still looking for the bear.

klein

Für Meno :)
I'm sure DS and I agree this one is debatable, since we both did some camping in our lives, and saw just as nice places if not even more beautiful.
But according to this, here are the top 10 in Canada :

Best camping destinations in Canada

From cabins to teepees to yurts. These accomodations are not your regular camping affair.

klein

Yet you guys insist upon "camping" in our local Walmart parking lot.

Sorry, but probably the most secure camping spot in the entire USA.
Open 24hrs and they have secuirty cams.
What else can you ask for.
Think we want to go real camping there, where every idiot takes a gun with them ?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Sorry, but probably the most secure camping spot in the entire USA.
Open 24hrs and they have secuirty cams.
What else can you ask for.
Think we want to go real camping there, where every idiot takes a gun with them ?

So, you guys just let the bears maul you and kill you and let the snakes bite you.....that's just stupd!!!

klein

So, you guys just let the bears maul you and kill you and let the snakes bite you.....that's just stupd!!!

No stupid is shooting a bear senseless, and in some case leaving the young ones to survive on their own.
I never owned a gun, and never carried a gun camping. But came across many bears. They really normally don't attack humans. They mind their own business.
Just make sure you don't surprise it, always make a sound, sing, or make whatever sounds, that the Bear knows you're in the area and doesn't get shockingly surprised. Gee, I peed next to one, without even knowing it, was just maybe 3 meters away from me, - I seen it once I done my job and walked away - it was just eating wild berries , didn't care I was there.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Since when are you the bear whisperer ? Bears will rip you apart!!!

You won't kill a bear because it might have cubs....................but you'll kill unborn babies without blinking an eye. Your priorities are screwed up.

Oh, and I wouldn't shoot a bear senseless, I'd shoot it dead!!

klein

I have never killed an unborn baby, and neither have I ever forced a woman to go thru full pregancy against her own will !
That's individual personal freedom that I won't interfere with.

klein

Yup, just like that American couple that went to Newfoundland or PEI, where the wife shot and killed the hubby, said she thought it was a bear she shot at !
She got off scott free, too.
I personally didn't like that court decision.
But, what else is new ?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I have had a few incidents with bears (only black bears) while camping and hunting. 2 of the funnier stories are 1) while back packing and canoeing in the Adirondecks NY a bear stole and ate all our peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches from our canoe while it was pulled up on the beach of Cranberry lake or Lowes lake. while we watched and went hungry for lunch.2) The other time while in a remote hunting camp in the Spraoul State Forest Clinton County Pa.a bear in the middle of the night came up to our cabin threw a pot of chili all over the trucks and jeeps went in to the beer coolers and stuck it's claws in the cans threw beer cans all over,then proceeded to go up on the porch and pull over a an old refrigerator used for cold storage and ate all the pies that were in there for desert,left with a trail of pie tins and beer cans back into the woods. Went thirsty and without desert after dinner that day too LOL