Can a driver asked to be moved off a route?

gingerkat

Sorry for asking this question. I don't really know how to even word this properly. The regular driver has been on and off because of medical issues for about 7 months now and the back-up driver is always the same, until 3 days ago. I was wondering if a driver/back-up driver can ask for a different route or if that is something that only management can do?

brett636

I've never worked package car, but that sounds like something that is different by region. May want to ask a steward.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Depends if he's a bid x driver (you bid what vacation or comp u cover). He would of bid that route for the total time the driver is on comp. the head driver tech can't even bump him off his route. Now if he wanted off the route management could of let him break his bid it's their world after all.

Depends if he's a bid x driver (you bid what vacation or comp u cover). He would of bid that route for the total time the driver is on comp. the head driver tech can't even bump him off his route. Now if he wanted off the route management could of let him break his bid it's their world after all.
What the hell is a head driver tech??????

Brownslave688

Oh head driver, technically can't bump. Sometimes my fingers move faster than my brain and when u type it u often read it how it was meant to be.

gingerkat

Since I'm a customer, maybe you guys can clarify a little more for me. Cover driver has always been on this route when regular driver was out and I was just wondering if maybe they took him off because he appears to be a lot slower than regular guy or maybe he requested different route for a change of pace. Why do I care you ask? Oh my, how embarrassing.. because I have a mad crush on my little UPS boy and I miss seeing him. Oh and that is my last question, is there a policy against customers dating drivers, etc? Sorry guys, I know this is a bit ridiculous.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
First off, what state are you in. Every area in the country is different. And no, there is no company policy saying customers and drivers can't date.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Western Conference. Here is what I know based on where I am, and I am in the Western Conference as well. There may be other considerations based on your drivers Local but they shouldn't be too much different than mine.

If your driver is bidding on the route (to cover the regular driver) he is most likely bidding week to week. Management cannot (by contract) take him off that bid. That doesn't mean they won't. If they do, they are in violation of the contract. Your driver may have done mgt a favor by filling in on another rte but technically this is also a violation. Once the driver takes a bid he has to stay on that bid. It also could be that someone else (more senior) bid on the rte but the other driver was out for a few days, meaning the other driver would get the bid when he came back to work. There are many nuances that I cannot account for because I do not know the center, the driver, the management. This is a very basic jist of how things work.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
​No, we bid everything week to week.

Brownslave688

Yeah I'm in the Midwest if driver has consecutive weeks off u must bid them all here. Looks like the boys in brown got it going on this week. A thread about a customer and a preloader diggin the short shorts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, everything that is open for a week is put up for bid. Anything that is open day to day is still assigned out by driver seniority. Anything else is a contractual violation.

No, casuals in my center are assigned to runs based on seniority and area knowledge. When I am on vacation it is not uncommon to have all 4 of the casuals who know my area to run it during that week. It's all based on the staffing needs for the week.

We have only 1 FT bid cover driver.

Casuals do not bid for work---they are assigned.

UPSGUY72

No, casuals in my center are assigned to runs based on seniority and area knowledge. When I am on vacation it is not uncommon to have all 4 of the casuals who know my area to run it during that week. It's all based on the staffing needs for the week.

We have only 1 FT bid cover driver.

Casuals do not bid for work---they are assigned.

Same in my Area.

We have 10 FT cover Drivers which I am one of. Some weeks I do 5 different routes and some weeks I'm on the same one all week. We don't bid open routes we are assigned a route if we have a problem we work it with each other. I know 17 different routes.

We also have 4 casuals this year they are stuck where management puts them.

menotyou

bella amicizia
My center added 2 FT cover route while I was out. They cover a route, hence the name. I might bid one of these, depending on what is left to bid on come Feb.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

FT bid cover does not mean that they cover a specific route. It is a bid position which guarantees 8 hours of work every day--it does not guarantee that you will run the same run for a week or even two days in a row. Our FT bid cover works the preload and then runs air when there are no runs to cover so that he can get his 8.