Can a p/t double shift?

ups_samurai

I'm a p/t loader and wondering if I can get a double shift?
like do I have to just go around and ask the next sort if they need someone and I'll double shift ? Or they can't allow that unless it's during the peak season?

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Depends on how good/bad the staffing is at the time on the shift you want to double shift on. Me personally, I spent 14 years as a part timer because double shifting was always available, especially on Sundays where it was double time and we got at least 5 hours minimum. Only when the recession of 2008-2009 hit and double shifting kinda dried up that I realized I better go full-time so I could get guaranteed hours.

UPSGUY72

like do I have to just go around and ask the next sort if they need someone and I'll double shift ? Or they can't allow that unless it's during the peak season?

Double shifting is allowed if one of the shifts is short staffed. However it would have to go by seniority. Some building like the one I started in had a list you signed up for once a year if you wanted to be called if another shift needed help.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a preloader who had been double shifting for quite awhile. She was told last week that they had hired some more people for that shift and that she would no longer be able to work both shifts. I think she was getting used to the much larger paychecks as she was rather upset about it.

PT Car Washer

We had a preloader who had been double shifting for quite awhile. She was told last week that they had hired some more people for that shift and that she would no longer be able to work both shifts. I think she was getting used to the much larger paychecks as she was rather upset about it.
A high seniority PTer can make over $1500 a week working doubles.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I worked doubles as much as they would let me.
heck, my helper one year was helping me for 4 hours a day and then going in to work twilight and then would pull a double and work midnight as well. Dude was working 60hrs/week at a PTer.

PT Car Washer

I worked doubles as much as they would let me.
heck, my helper one year was helping me for 4 hours a day and then going in to work twilight and then would pull a double and work midnight as well. Dude was working 60hrs/week at a PTer.
Most PTers normally work 60+ hours a week between a PT job and a FT job.

By The Book

Depends on how good/bad the staffing is at the time on the shift you want to double shift on. Me personally, I spent 14 years as a part timer because double shifting was always available, especially on Sundays where it was double time and we got at least 5 hours minimum. Only when the recession of 2008-2009 hit and double shifting kinda dried up that I realized I better go full-time so I could get guaranteed hours.
How many years did you work part time after you could of had a full time job here?

arice11

Volume is so bad in my building that they won't let anyone in the preload stay for more than 4 hours. Half of my unload crew signed up for twilight and midnight loco sort and not a single one was given any thing.
Getting pretty bad out there I guess. Something about Amazon.
They really aught to have a better option available for those of us that want to work double shifts. Something should be negotiated, implemented...anything!

PT Car Washer

Volume is so bad in my building that they won't let anyone in the preload stay for more than 4 hours. Half of my unload crew signed up for twilight and midnight loco sort and not a single one was given any thing.
Getting pretty bad out there I guess. Something about Amazon.
They really aught to have a better option available for those of us that want to work double shifts. Something should be negotiated, implemented...anything!
Why pay a high seniority PTer $50/hr working doubles when you can hire 5 new guys.

Overpaid Union Thug

I used to work triple shifts. Noonday shift at FexEx Ground followed by a double at UPS. It was easy. It helped having cake jobs at both.

arice11

To you and I....not that hard. To millennials.........it's absolutely torturous.
Hey!
I'm technically millennial.
I tear down 53 foot rail trailers like a boss. Pup trailers in half an hour easy.
Some people just don't know what it means to work. Especially millennials....wait...damn I guess you're right.
Not all of us though.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hey!
I'm technically millennial.
I tear down 53 foot rail trailers like a boss. Pup trailers in half an hour easy.
Some people just don't know what it means to work. Especially millennials....wait...damn I guess you're right.
Not all of us though.
Really?? I'll go back and look at your previous posts...but I could've sworn you said you were a pc loader.