Can anyone.......I mean ANYONE answer this?

mikeyb

Hey guys. I'm not new as I've been with the company for 11+ years and been driving for 8. Still part time and waiting for the next friend/t position (company hasn't replaced the last 9 friend/t drivers that have left) which is "any time now". I hope this hasn't been posted before and my apologies if it has but I haven't found a post regarding this and no one in our center talks or seems to know any reasoning behind it all, so here goes.

Does anyone know why the company refuses to hire any/enough drivers to give everyone (i mean all drivers), say, an 8-9 hour day, plenty of time with no pressure to get air off, sit down and take an hour lunch with no pressure, and a "normal" amount of work without having to go help some other driver that has too much work or having to stay out until 8-9-10pm?!?!? Have drivers in by like 5:30-6:00 so they can enjoy the evening. Do they not understand that the company is still gonna make a killing and the drivers are gonna be more productive, efficient and safer? I mean, what is the meaning of cutting a bulky town route out 2 times a week and then asking others to help the drivers that had to take the slack or even call in a tcd to help? With all of the o/t, extra fuel, miles and man hours, how is this better?

Also, constantly ignoring the 9.5 list and just handing out grievance checks with no problems?!? I'm sure this is common among the other centers but as I said earlier, no one seems to talk or know? I'm sorry but I was wondering if anyone knew why they operate that way? Do they get huge bonuses for running 50 drivers worth of volume with 35 drivers and do not care how it gets done? I have always just sucked it up and took a big one but after so long, I've started trying to see what's behind it all.

Its much cheaper to pay us overtime. you got to factor in healthcare ,pension,vacations and paid holidays.

Also the expense of buying and maintenance of vehicles.

The (dead unproductive time) PCM driving to and from the route. Paid breaks checkout time.

Plus the cost of compliance.

Botton line. MONEY!

Slinging Packages

Because we are no longer a private company. It's all about the numbers since the bean counters started to run the show. We are just another number to them..In 27 yrs I have never seen it this bad!!

Sent using BrownCafe App

jr32bad

In my center they do that to all new hires and some veterans that's why I will be happily going to feeders , don't know how ups expects to keep drivers long term but my guess is that's what they want its called corporate greed

Sent using BrownCafe App

turdbrown

Hey guys. I'm not new as I've been with the company for 11+ years and been driving for 8. Still part time and waiting for the next friend/t position (company hasn't replaced the last 9 friend/t drivers that have left) which is "any time now". I hope this hasn't been posted before and my apologies if it has but I haven't found a post regarding this and no one in our center talks or seems to know any reasoning behind it all, so here goes.

Does anyone know why the company refuses to hire any/enough drivers to give everyone (i mean all drivers), say, an 8-9 hour day, plenty of time with no pressure to get air off, sit down and take an hour lunch with no pressure, and a "normal" amount of work without having to go help some other driver that has too much work or having to stay out until 8-9-10pm?!?!? Have drivers in by like 5:30-6:00 so they can enjoy the evening. Do they not understand that the company is still gonna make a killing and the drivers are gonna be more productive, efficient and safer? I mean, what is the meaning of cutting a bulky town route out 2 times a week and then asking others to help the drivers that had to take the slack or even call in a tcd to help? With all of the o/t, extra fuel, miles and man hours, how is this better?

Also, constantly ignoring the 9.5 list and just handing out grievance checks with no problems?!? I'm sure this is common among the other centers but as I said earlier, no one seems to talk or know? I'm sorry but I was wondering if anyone knew why they operate that way? Do they get huge bonuses for running 50 drivers worth of volume with 35 drivers and do not care how it gets done? I have always just sucked it up and took a big one but after so long, I've started trying to see what's behind it all.
they are stupid! They do not realize that the excessive hrs cause more of a chance of injury. In our ctr. they want the drivers to average 9.5hrs a day min. They do not care about anything,but getting the pkgs delivered. The person who makes the decision to cut cars is home by 5 or 6 everyday. it is all about money in the end.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Your second paragraph describes it well. That is SOP (standard operating procedure) It is normal in almost all operations, rather than the exception. Work you like an army mule, then kick you out the door when you're all used up. Bring a new employee in at a lower pay rate. start procedure all over again. The more you work, the more they will pile onto you. If they would make it easy on you, it would make them look bad to their bosses. Maybe if everybody held hands in a big circle at the AM meeting and sang kumbaya they would see the error in their ways.:biggrin:

Ups calls this logistics. It's also the way they do business.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.

We're not worried about the wear and tear on the chicken's :censored2:....we just want the eggs.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
2014-07-21-20-11-36--1491666784.jpeg

llamainmypocket

I'm pretty new to UPS but i believe the reason why UPS chooses to give overtime over adding new drivers is due to the cost of benefits. It is supposedly cheaper to work two drivers 60 hours than 3 at 40 hours with benefits.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Like "I've" said: It's a formula they use to determine what's more cost effective. They figured out that it's cheaper to have the target dispatch for most routes be 9.1 hours than pay another driver straight time, another vehicle and benefits. The nice thing is there is a point of diminishing returns at which the scale tips and it is no longer cost effective to pay the OT. Dispatch sups know there are people that will run harder and skip their lunches if given too heavy of a dispatch. They also know who will kick them in the wallet if they load them up too much.

I've told my sups and dispatcher straight up that I take my full lunch but with a reasonable dispatch I'll hustle to get home to see my kids. They also know the implied backside of that statement which is if you load me up unreasonably heavy then I'll see you whenever I get done.

Sent from my 28 year old brown truck

Indecisi0n

I work at the same pace no matter how many stops they give me. I really could careless about later air or missed business/house stops. All that is their problem and I keep it that way. I inform them of any missed services and they make correction which normally means sending a runner out to take work off me. They can do that everyday for all I care. They won't break me.