Can anyone tell me if UPS has ever granted a leave of absence to someone who is jail?

phantom

I need to know if UPS has ever granted a leave of absence to someone who is incarcerated. The person who this concerns cannot make bail and the chances of most if not all of the charges other than a simple possession charge being dropped are very high. He was denied on the grounds that UPS has never done so.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Re: Can anyone tell me if UPS has ever granted a leave of absence to someone who is j

Simple answer is no. Unauthorized leave of absence.

The company does not have to hold their position open.

-Bug-

rod

Retired 22 years
Re: Can anyone tell me if UPS has ever granted a leave of absence to someone who is j

Simple answer is "maybe". This all goes back to what kind of numbers you are producing. UPS operates under 2 totally different sets of rules--------rules for those they like vs. those they don't like. NOTHING is carved in granite.

upsman2940

You have to secure written permission from the union and company. Max leave is 90 days and can be extended 90 days at a time.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"

I did represent an employee once for a no call no show because he was in jail for a couple of days. It worked out ok .Had to go to bat for him a few times after that also for other "percieved" infractions. He has been a model citizen latly though.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I need to know if UPS has ever granted a leave of absence to someone who is incarcerated. The person who this concerns cannot make bail

Umm.... One more time.... No

-Bug-

steward71

Sounds like the dead beat we have in our area. He is in jail for another A and B. This was dating a part time sup and two years ago he hit her and had to call the police to get him out of her home. They did let him go, but the union got his job back he was gone for 30 days for "treatment". He now again has another A and B on his ex-wife. So he sets again in lock up. So here we go again the union making him out to be some kind of victim of his childhood. The center manager stated today my get his job back again. He has been let go twice for not coming to work, once for repeated missloads over 57 and told the center manager he did it because he knows they will put him in the unload, got his job back and in the unload. So your freind could get his job back.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Simple answer is "maybe". This all goes back to what kind of numbers you are producing. UPS operates under 2 totally different sets of rules--------rules for those they like vs. those they don't like. NOTHING is carved in granite.

You are so clueless ... UPS has dozens of different sets of rules and my all time favorite is Double Standards.

over9five

Staff member

You are so clueless ... UPS has dozens of different sets of rules and my all time favorite is Double Standards.
Really? Why have you never bought that term up before???

ibt

About the same chance as getting caught stealing. Sorry ain't going to happen

JonFrum

First, take all your Sick Days. You don't need permission, and you don't need to actually be sick.

Second, request all your Option Days (Personal Holidays.)

Third, ask to take Voluntary Layoffs.

Fourth, ask to use up your Vacation Weeks now rather than when they were scheduled.

These last three may not be granted, but the Union can later argue that UPS wouldn't give you the days off, yet they send people home on the same days because they are so overstaffed.

- - - -

Won't the Judge grant a reduced bail, or release on no bail, if he is told the guy may loose his job?

How can someone not afford bail???

Borrow the money from friends and relatives, take up a collection at work, sell some personal items, whatever.

- - - -

If you wanted to be a Union Official, leave would automatically be granted for as many months or years as needed.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

First, take all your Sick Days. You don't need permission, and you don't need to actually be sick.

Second, request all your Option Days (Personal Holidays.)

Third, ask to take Voluntary Layoffs.

Fourth, ask to use up your Vacation Weeks now rather than when they were scheduled.

These last three may not be granted, but the Union can later argue that UPS wouldn't give you the days off, yet they send people home on the same days because they are so overstaffed.

- - - -

If you wanted to be a Union Official, leave would automatically be granted for as many months or years as needed.

Those are a few interesting ideas....

In the Central Region, there are no sick days.... Option Days (2) have to be requested (in writing) 8 days in advance.... then are granted by

seniority.

Asking for a voluntary layoff or burning vacation time.... Don't see the company honoring that request, from a phone call while in jail.

For someone being elected into office, the leave is automatically granted for "Official Union Business"

Not because you are in jail on multiple counts, including a drug charge.

-Bug-

UPSGUY72

I need to know if UPS has ever granted a leave of absence to someone who is incarcerated. The person who this concerns cannot make bail and the chances of most if not all of the charges other than a simple possession charge being dropped are very high. He was denied on the grounds that UPS has never done so.

YES they have. However, it's permanent.

L

Loufan

I remember a few years ago a guy i worked with didn't come into work for 3 weeks, it was similar to your question. When he finally came back he learned he was fired but talked to the union and a manager he was close with and ended up getting his job back, so i would just find a FT guy that he get's along with when he gets out and go from there.

Unless it's something like months or years then he's probably not coming back.

lookingatyou

They really do have two sets of rules.....drug dealer and his accomplice are still working at Brush Ave in the Bronx......Integrity is a joke at Brush Avenue.....

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

about 20 years ago we had a guy in our building take 6 weeks of vakay while he was in the Grey Bar Hilton.

rocket man

why are you asking on this ? thats a queston for your (bail bondsman.

Island

On two occasions I am aware of people in my sort going to jail and getting their jobs back. One was a convicted felon (DWI) but he got his charges reduced by agreeing to a lot of concessions - house arrest, ankle monitor, etc. I'm in an airport operation so this was a gray area but the company let it go. He got arrested a couple more times but because he was a model citizen the rest of the time, the courts never did much, and the company didn't try to fire him again because both times were just one or two days. When he disappeared for a couple of months and then came back, it was because he had been convicted of another felony. He spent part of the day chatting with management but they were finally against a wall, he was convicted and the charges were public knowledge, not removed from his record or anything, so he couldn't be allowed to work in the airport. He was friendly with management, though, and got a lot of favors, so I wouldn't doubt it if they gave him a transfer to another building.

Another fellow was having some trouble at home and turned to liquor. He ended up getting a DWI as well and spent a couple months in jail. When he got out, the union got his job back and the felony had been taken off his record, but the company didn't try very hard to fight it. They liked him because he's productive. Angry workers tend to be very good for numbers. So I don't know why management even tried to file the termination if they were going to roll over so easily. The truth is, though, that the people pushing for his termination are the management types who hate the workers and perceive them as the enemy that must be killed at all cost, and the management folks who get to sit in the room with the union rep are the ones who recognize the numbers that this employee brings to their sort.

I completely agree, there are no rules that the company uses for all situations like this. It really depends on if management likes that person or not.