Can I be fired?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Posted on behalf of member UPS A

Hey,

I just started as a pre loader a little while ago. ( not in the union yet)
My area just got hit with a snow storm and I was supposed to work today 3/21 at 430 am. I called in and said my road wasn't plowed yet and I couldn't make it in.

The person who picked up said "okay" ( I called about 90 mins before start time)

I believe my hub was closed today..... I never got an official word but my buddy received an email from UPS (he doesn't work for ups, but was expecting a package today) saying due to weather there would be no package deliveries today (3/21) and listed a bunch of zip codes including the hub zip.

I assume nobody called me to inform me of the closure because I already called in...

Now my issue is that my street still isn't plowed at least not enough that my rear wheel drive car could make it to the hub..... If I call out again today do you think I'll be fired?

I figure today 3/21 was a freebie and prob won't count as a call out because I think the hub was closed. So 3/22 if my road isn't plowed by the time I get up will be my only call out...

Just trying to get some thoughts from people who have worked for UPS for a while...

I obviously know they are within their right legally to fire me... but I can't physically make it to the hub and the $12 an hour isn't worth destroying my car or my self.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Dude I live in MN i drove a rear wheel drive vechile to work every day for many years and still drive a rear wheel package car through snow. If you don't want to risk smashing ur car or just don't want to work, call In. But the 3 call in requires a doctors note. I can't make it because rear wheel drive, please don't ever use that excuse to a UPS driver.

Box Ox

Thought this was gonna be an introspective thread in which OP/site owner is questioning her own BC omnipotence. Nope? No problem!

(Backs out)

UPS A

Dude I live in MN i drove a rear wheel drive vechile to work every day for many years and still drive a rear wheel package car through snow. If you don't want to risk smashing ur car or just don't want to work, call In. But the 3 call in requires a doctors note. I can't make it because rear wheel drive, please don't ever use that excuse to a UPS driver.

thats fair but I'm not a driver...lol
and it was more that I couldn't get to work without getting stuck. I have few steep hills that my car couldn't handle...

UPS A

You won't be fired if you call. Take pictures just incase. You may be fired of you lie.
I called in and they gave me ton of S but didn't say anything after I said I'm more then willing to come if someone can pick me up as my car won't make it and I tried. I also reminded them I'd take public transportation but they were on an emergency snow schedule and also not operating.

upschuck

I called in and they gave me ton of S but didn't say anything after I said I'm more then willing to come if someone can pick me up as my car won't make it and I tried. I also reminded them I'd take public transportation but they were on an emergency snow schedule and also not operating.
Don't worry about it, they do that to everybody who calls in. Probably 10/15 of the others did the same thing.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Hey,

My area just got hit with a snow storm and I was supposed to work today 3/21 at 430 am. I called in and said my road wasn't plowed yet and I couldn't make it in.

The person who picked up said "okay" ( I called about 90 mins before start time)

I believe my hub was closed today..... I never got an official word but my buddy received an email from UPS (he doesn't work for ups, but was expecting a package today) saying due to weather there would be no package deliveries today (3/21) and listed a bunch of zip codes including the hub zip.

I assume nobody called me to inform me of the closure because I already called in...

Now my issue is that my street still isn't plowed at least not enough that my rear wheel drive car could make it to the hub..... If I call out again today do you think I'll be fired?

I figure today 3/21 was a freebie and prob won't count as a call out because I think the hub was closed. So 3/22 if my road isn't plowed by the time I get up will be my only call out...

Just trying to get some thoughts from people who have worked for UPS for a while...

I obviously know they are within their right legally to fire me... but I can't physically make it to the hub and the $12 an hour isn't worth destroying my car or my self.
You should be fine.
If that is your real name you need to change it. It is a TOS violation
8.) You are responsible for protecting your own privacy and respecting the privacy of others. This means no posting of your own or any other person's full name, last name, photos, email addresses, work or home locations, job titles, phone numbers, addresses, Social Security numbers, or any other personally identifiable or private information. No posting screenshots or text from private conversations, text messages, email, or any other private communication. This also means your full name cannot be used as your username or posted anywhere on our site.
Post reported

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Hey,

@cheryl , I didn't know it snowed in southern California?

Ripp

No one shows up here, on sunny 70 degree days. They'll probably give you a hat and sweatshirt. I wish they honestly would fire your friend but they won't.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
You should be fine.
If that is your real name you need to change it. It is a TOS violation
8.) You are responsible for protecting your own privacy and respecting the privacy of others. This means no posting of your own or any other person's full name, last name, photos, email addresses, work or home locations, job titles, phone numbers, addresses, Social Security numbers, or any other personally identifiable or private information. No posting screenshots or text from private conversations, text messages, email, or any other private communication. This also means your full name cannot be used as your username or posted anywhere on our site.
Post reported
She has not appreciated this type of humor lately.
Put Turd in the queue.

F

Frankie's Friend

Dude-do u know what kind of car tje op drives? Comeon dude.