Can I Borrow Some Money? Fedex Settles Lawsuit For $240 million.

bacha29

In it's third quarter 2106 8K report filed on March 16 there was a few brief sentences regarding a settlement. Reuters picked up on the story today. This really isn't news beyond the plaintiffs stated willingness to accept the proposed settlement.Remember the attorney fees come out of the settlement and the proposed fee in the CA case is 22%

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
wouldn't this be huge for you drivers, not just money wise but being able to unionize? i thought that was the major roadblock because Fedex was saying the drivers were contractors and then not allowed to form a union.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
wouldn't this be huge for you drivers, not just money wise but being able to unionize? i thought that was the major roadblock because Fedex was saying the drivers were contractors and then not allowed to form a union.
This is why Express cannot unionize.

The FedEx Corporation’s History of Opposing Unionization

Introduction: The FedEx Express Labor Law Loophole

Ground is a whole different animal. They CAN unionize, it's just a difficult, location by location process.

bacha29

Today's ruling involves contractors/drivers who were contracted during the years 2001-2007. In 2011 Ground made contractors become incorporated entities meaning that they employees of their own corporations and hired themselves. Later the ISP format came along requiring contractors to operate depending on the size of the terminal a minimum of 4 or 5 routes. Now the driver employees of the contractor can vote to go union but as IWBF wisely pointed out X will not contract with a contractor whose employees are union represented and in doing so has created an impressive but not insurmountable firewall.

bacha29

I think it's more a case of X's sophisticated if not intimidating anti- union tactics for which the courts time and time again reprimanded them. But being what they are the law in their opinion doesn't matter. Then again you have drivers who have a lot of personal debt riding on their jobs and are in a poor position when it comes to riding out a strike. That's why you have to tip your cap to the Verizon guys who stood out there on the sidewalk for a month and a half and kept 1300 jobs from going off shore. They put their balls on the anvil and took on one of the world's largest corporations.