Can i collect unemployment

I am a full time driver that got laid off until April. I have elected to do the split shift to keep my benefits and seniority but due to the long drive from my home i am unable to work both shifts, so i am only doing the preload right now. Can i collect unemployment on the other 4 hours to get me to my 8 hours? I cant make ends meet working 4-5 hrs a day.

upschuck

My state you can file on the difference, other states, maybe so, maybe not. Check your states unemployment office for the answer.

PT Car Washer

I am a full time driver that got laid off until April. I have elected to do the split shift to keep my benefits and seniority but due to the long drive from my home i am unable to work both shifts, so i am only doing the preload right now. Can i collect unemployment on the other 4 hours to get me to my 8 hours? I cant make ends meet working 4-5 hrs a day.
Find a second job closer to your home.

llamainmypocket

It's iffy. I'm not sure all states allow part time work and collecting benefits. The ones that do will subtract something from your weekly benefits. Furthermore, if you technically refused work by not doing the whole split and that becomes apparent to the abjucator then you will be denied.

It's a risky claim and a little dishonest. Perhaps if you could successfully argue your inability to work the other shift but arguments are generally taken to appeals. Benefits if delayed and taken to appeals would have you recieving them well after returning to work.

You never know though. You could luck out. But I'd consider a temp agency close to home and juggle both jobs.

bumped

You should be able to file for partial unemployment. Not working a split shift is not turning down work. You, as a full time driver, cannot turn down driving work. You won't get much money for partial unemployment, but worth checking out if you choose to.

rod

Retired 22 years

When I got out of the Army in 1970 I filed for unemployment. At the time all I wanted was just one summer of goofing around. Back then you had to go to the employment office with proof that you had actively looked for work. You had to tell them which places you had applied at. You could be on unemployement compensation for 13 weeks. At the end of 13 weeks you could "TRY" to sign up ONE more time for 13 weeks. (I don't know anyone who was successful at getting the second 13 weeks. Twenty-six weeks was MAX. While on unemployment compensations you HAD to show up at the employment office to get your check. While there they would assign you labor jobs that you couldn't refuse. The times sure have changed. P.S. I think I lasted about 5 weeks on unemployment during which time I was assigned at least a half a dozen small jobs.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Check your state laws. Even if you could though, you will only get the difference between max unemployment and what you are making now.

In Ohio, your max unemployment is about half of your weekly pay if working. That is probably what you are getting working 4 hours, so unemployment would not pay you a dime.

Your state may be different. Call.

undies

If you're a full time driver, get with your BA and Make sure no cover/part time drivers are working in any other buildings in your local. You are guaranteed driving work over them, even if it's in another building. I've filed on this many times and been paid for the hours of part timers. You bet their asses I was called and offered driving work after that.

PT Car Washer

If you're a full time driver, get with your BA and Make sure no cover/part time drivers are working in any other buildings in your local. You are guaranteed driving work over them, even if it's in another building. I've filed on this many times and been paid for the hours of part timers. You bet their asses I was called and offered driving work after that.
PT air drivers can do delivery and pick ups under Art. 40. Art 40 supersede language on the same subjects in the Supplements, Riders and Addenda's.

barnyard

KTM rider
Seems to me that the smartest place to ask, would be the Illinois unemployment web page. I would also be that you are denied. UPS is offering you work and you are turning it down.

clean hairy

Isn't a split shift working 4 hours, take a 1 hour lunch, and work the second 4 hours?
If so, what is keeping you from staying and working the 2nd half of the split shift?

PT Car Washer

Isn't a split shift working 4 hours, take a 1 hour lunch, and work the second 4 hours?
If so, what is keeping you from staying and working the 2nd half of the split shift?
Sometimes a split shift could mean two or four hour difference. Our Art 22.3 midnight/preload routinely have an hour and a half or more break between sorts.

UPSGUY72

according to you states "What Every Worker Should Know About Unemployment Insurance" Pamphlet.

Yes you can file.

3. You must either be entirely out of work or be working less than full-time because no more work is available. Your earnings must fall below a certain threshold determined at the time you file your claim.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Sometimes a split shift could mean two or four hour difference. Our Art 22.3 midnight/preload routinely have an hour and a half or more break between sorts.
Sometimes a split shift could be more than 8 hours between shifts.

Most centers only run 2 PT shifts. Preload and reload, or whatever it is called where you work. You could end up working 4:00-8:00 AM and then 5:00-9:00 PM.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
according to you states "What Every Worker Should Know About Unemployment Insurance" Pamphlet.

Yes you can file.

3. You must either be entirely out of work or be working less than full-time because no more work is available. Your earnings must fall below a certain threshold determined at the time you file your claim.
He may have a problem. Your post says no more work available. There is more work available, but the OP decided not to do it.

clean hairy

Sometimes a split shift could be more than 8 hours between shifts.

Most centers only run 2 PT shifts. Preload and reload, or whatever it is called where you work. You could end up working 4:00-8:00 AM and then 5:00-9:00 PM.
What I must be missing, is that the drive is not an issue for the first part of the shift, but it becomes an issue for second half of the shift.
Sounds like he only wants to work 4 hours and find a means to get $ for not working the other 4 hours.
I apologize in advance if I have misunderstood.