Can I file a grievance regarding trying to go full time

Observer

I was trying out for a full time combo position. All during the training time - I have been overly supervised in addition to numerous violations of article 37. Also, the supervisors have suggested that I self disqualify after a week of "training" and they also told me I wasn't capable even though I loaded trailers previously. I found out that the supervisor in this dept. is notorious about not allowing part timers to qualify. I overheard other people talking about this sup by using their name - so that made me aware of this sups tactics. This person yells loudly unnecessarily (probably for effect) and tries to beat any self-esteem out of you. Then the other supervisor will come up and do the same. Don't tell me to man up. I've put up with a lot **it all these years. They made comments about the fact that I'm not one of the "younger" ones. One of the sups suggested to me that I need to look for something else after I've been there for several years. All these comments during training.
On my 29th day, the area mgr. disqualified me for my full time because when he asked me to come out of the trailer I had to move some boxes over to the left against the wall of the trailer and he caught me not bending my knees.
The question is will I be able to file a grievance regarding how I was mistreated during my training period of 30 days? How many times can I be scrutinized during my training period? Whenever boxes fall off the rollers I was expected to stop loading the trailer and pick up the boxes. Is this normal during the training period? Do you really think I was disqualified because I was trying out for night pre-loader and I don't have a hub sort certification? How do I get blamed for a mis-scanned pkg. whenever someone else is scanning pkgs. while I'm doing the loading? Does anyone have any opinions on whether or not to file?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is not Google. Supervisors here will yell at you. You either need to toughen up or find employment elsewhere.

As for the misload, you are right in that you cannot be blamed for a misload when you are not the one doing the scanning.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I was trying out for a full time combo position. All during the training time - I have been overly supervised in addition to numerous violations of article 37. Also, the supervisors have suggested that I self disqualify after a week of "training" and they also told me I wasn't capable even though I loaded trailers previously. I found out that the supervisor in this dept. is notorious about not allowing part timers to qualify. I overheard other people talking about this sup by using their name - so that made me aware of this sups tactics. This person yells loudly unnecessarily (probably for effect) and tries to beat any self-esteem out of you. Then the other supervisor will come up and do the same. Don't tell me to man up. I've put up with a lot **it all these years. They made comments about the fact that I'm not one of the "younger" ones. One of the sups suggested to me that I need to look for something else after I've been there for several years. All these comments during training.
On my 29th day, the area mgr. disqualified me for my full time because when he asked me to come out of the trailer I had to move some boxes over to the left against the wall of the trailer and he caught me not bending my knees.
The question is will I be able to file a grievance regarding how I was mistreated during my training period of 30 days? How many times can I be scrutinized during my training period? Whenever boxes fall off the rollers I was expected to stop loading the trailer and pick up the boxes. Is this normal during the training period? Do you really think I was disqualified because I was trying out for night pre-loader and I don't have a hub sort certification? How do I get blamed for a mis-scanned pkg. whenever someone else is scanning pkgs. while I'm doing the loading? Does anyone have any opinions on whether or not to file?
Talk to a steward about it. Without actually seeing what happened I can't really say, it's possible that you were set up to fail and over supervised but it's also possible that you just didn't do the job. The company gets a lot of latitude as far as qualifying peeps for new jobs so winning a grievance on this can be tough without some really overwhelming evidence in your favor.

Overpaid Union Thug

This is not Google. Supervisors here will yell at you. You either need to toughen up or find employment elsewhere.

As for the misload, you are right in that you cannot be blamed for a misload when you are not the one doing the scanning.

WTF? Supervisors should not be yelling at anyone. And no employee should have to "toughen up" to withstand getting yelled at nor should they have to find employment elsewhere to avoid something that shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Damn man do you even think before you rattle off such nonsense?

Anthonysg0113

We still have a pt sup in the unload who yells at everybody. Even other sups.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

Did you ever load trailers before at ups? No? Exactly.

You are so full of contradictions that you are a walking lie.

And yes supervisors will yell but the employee doesn't have to take that treatment. That's why there is a contract. You know that thing you despise but love all the benefits from?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

WTF? Supervisors should not be yelling at anyone. And no employee should have to "toughen up" to withstand getting yelled at nor should they have to find employment elsewhere to avoid something that shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Damn man do you even think before you rattle off such nonsense?

Did I say that they should be yelling at hourlies?

UPSGUY72

Go talk to your shop steward they will have the correct answer for you. However your not going to grieve your way into a job. IF you where able to win the grievance which is very doubtful you would only get to try to qualify again you wouldn't automatically get the position and I would almost guarantee your wouldn't qualify... Just saying. Try again next time a FT position opens up....

Try keeping that big target off your back until your make it FT....

PT Car Washer

Go talk to your shop steward they will have the correct answer for you. However your not going to grieve your way into a job. IF you where able to win the grievance which is very doubtful you would only get to try to qualify again you wouldn't automatically get the position and I would almost guarantee your wouldn't qualify... Just saying. Try again next time a FT position opens up....

Try keeping that big target off your back until your make it FT....
The job is an Art 22.3 loading trailers. What is there to qualify? He was harassed out of taking the job.

SquirrelBoggie

Nobody should be yelling at anybody, that's a nice way of starting some insubordination for that ass

SquirrelBoggie

Never said it was acceptable----I said he needs to either grow thicker skin or find employment elsewhere as we all know how heated it can get in the hub.
It's all about respect, when somebody begins to yell at they are showing they have no respect for you. Having thick skin is all about dealing with criticism and :censored2: talking. Our hub we all talk trash to one and another but once a Supervisor begins to yell at a person, it means they are crossing a fine line, in my opinion

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
It's all about respect, when somebody begins to yell at they are showing they have no respect for you. Having thick skin is all about dealing with criticism and :censored2: talking. Our hub we all talk trash to one and another but once a Supervisor begins to yell at a person, it means they are crossing a fine line, in my opinion
Yelling only creates resentment. It destroys good faith between the supervisor and employees forever.

ibleedbrown

could be an age discrimination issue. it's pretty bs the numbers they expect you to put up considering by the time you have enough seniority to win a full time bid you are no longer a "spring chicken."

even though we have all been there having to put up with the harassment and hazing of having to qualify unfortunately when bidding on a full time position you have to go through it all over again. once you qualify they can't discipline you for production, but when you are in your qualification period they can use that against you when deciding whether to keep you or not, they will always use it against you in order to harass you.

its a messed up game they play and you have to learn how to play it. you must learn to work hard and safe enough to stay off their radar.

talk to a steward and see what they can do for you, good luck!