Can I switch contractors at fedex if my old contractor said I'm disqualified?

95amonte

Apparently I'm disqualified for three years but many other contractor's want me to join their team, and my old contractor claims I disqualified for three years? A tree branch did hit the top right corner of the truck causing a small break in the truck! He's saying since I didn't report I'm disqualified for three years but other contractor's at the same terminal are looking to recruit me please help!!

bacha29

Apparently I'm disqualified for three years but many other contractor's want me to join their team, and my old contractor claims I disqualified for three years? A tree branch did hit the top right corner of the truck causing a small break in the truck! He's saying since I didn't report I'm disqualified for three years but other contractor's at the same terminal are looking to recruit me please help!!
Unless the contractor who wants you is willing to fight long and loud in your behalf to get you reinstated I would say that your chances are near zero. You see that contractor may have owned the truck and the damage was minimal and to him it was a nonissue because it's all in a day's work, The fact that X controls everything and imposes it's will on the contractor and you is reason enough to simply move on to a legitimate operation where the contractor says who comes and who goes.

95amonte

I'm thinking my old contractor is just saying that to keep me from working at the termianl, the other contractors wouldn't have bothered to recruit me if they knew I had been disqualified right? The new contractor told me come in this Thursday at 3pm to start the process over and he in fact could find no record me on file at Fedex ??

bacha29

I'm thinking my old contractor is just saying that to keep me from working at the termianl, the other contractors wouldn't have bothered to recruit me if they knew I had been disqualified right? The new contractor told me come in this Thursday at 3pm to start the process over and he in fact could find no record me on file at Fedex ??
Are you sure about that? One of the basic requirements in order to drive for a contractor is that you have to first be approved by X. There's a lot of paperwork that goes with it. Go ask terminal management . They'll give you the 411. That contractor doesn't need to lie if he wants rid of you. You are an " at will employee" Therefore the guy can get rid of you for any number of reasons. He doesn't need to lie to you. Perhaps he wants rid of you because he knows where there's a guy who will work for less than minimum wage.

95amonte

Well I was fired before he noticed the crack in the corner of the truck, I was let go because we couldn't agree on a pay rate. Had nothing to do with the incident, it came after my termination. The New contractor could find no record of me, and my old contractor told me I was disqualified for three years just last week when I asked him if I could work with another contractor

bacha29

Well I was fired before he noticed the crack in the corner of the truck, I was let go because we couldn't agree on a pay rate. Had nothing to do with the incident, it came after my termination. The New contractor could find no record of me, and my old contractor told me I was disqualified for three years just last week when I asked him if I could work with another contractor
No surprise there. They expect you to work 10-12 hours a day sometimes more plus 6 days a week during peak for what amounts to minimum wage all straight time no overtime and no benefits.X is clearly determined to cut contractor settlements to the point where in the not too distant future they won't be able to get anybody to drive those routes. But in this case the guy must have known where that work for nothing guy can be found. As far as your record chances are the terminal has already sent it in to Pittsburgh for processing and final separation.

FedGT

I have known people who claim there driver was disqualified even though they weren't. It is a cowardly way to get someone out and have the employee believe they won't have a work comp claim.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag

If that was the main reason for terminating you, did he also file to FedEx management that you failed to report an accident? Just for hitting a low branch, seems petty but don't have pics to see the extent of the damage & he just doesn't want you in that station. I know of another driver taking out a marker light on the passenger top side due to a low branch as well, but still driving...

Tell your new contractor to verify first before even setting foot this Thursday... Otherwise you just wasted both your time filling out his work forms

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
A tree branch hit the top right corner of your truck?......did it fall off the tree just as you were driving by? What bum luck!

dmac1

If he submitted a claim to repair the damage, you would be disqualified for not reporting the accident. There may be a maximum amount of damage you can not report. The insurance claim may not be final or paid yet, so that might be why there isn't a record of you being disqualified. Technically, you might not be disqualified until a claim is paid. You need to report anything when damage is done. I believe the contractor is required to prevent damage, and it is possible that a manager or assistant saw it before the contractor. Someone at the terminal is suppose to look at each vehicle every day.

95amonte

Everyone has been more than helpful thank You! Yes it was just a tree branch I'm positive, when I was in route it's sometimes impossible to avoid tree branches! I'm gonna check with the new contractor tomorrow to see If I'm still eligible to drive.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Everyone has been more than helpful thank You! Yes it was just a tree branch I'm positive, when I was in route it's sometimes impossible to avoid tree branches! I'm gonna check with the new contractor tomorrow to see If I'm still eligible to drive.

While you are correct in that it is sometimes impossible to avoid tree branches, it is possible to slow down to the point where there would be little to no damage to the pkg car.

NYCFXG

He's lying. You're fine. It doesn't work that way. Go work for someone else. Just do your future contractor a favor and agree on a pay rate and possible future raises before you start working that way you are both on the same page. Nothing is more aggravating than a driver who works for 2 weeks and starts taking days off left and right because they feel like they aren't being compensated properly after everything was negotiated and agreed upon. Ask your new contractor about sick days, holidays, and longer than normal days, etc. These are all things I get out of the way before anyone sits in one of my trucks. Remind him you are selling him your time.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
If that vindictive garbage contractor wants to retaliate and report the OP for not reporting that accident, he may do so just to keep him from working there...

I've seen drivers damage mirrors and it's brushed under the rug since the cost of a replacement is probably less than the deductible

Verify that u are clear before moving on

95amonte

i talked to my new contractor and they said all i have to do is reapply, im pretty sure the new contractor wouldn't waste their time if they in fact knew i was disqualified!

dmac1

i talked to my new contractor and they said all i have to do is reapply, im pretty sure the new contractor wouldn't waste their time if they in fact knew i was disqualified!

Except that it is no extra work for the contractor. I used to send anyone with driving experience into the office, and see if fedex approved them. Didn't cost me anything extra, and if they passed, fine, if not, fine.

It will be fine

Except that it is no extra work for the contractor. I used to send anyone with driving experience into the office, and see if fedex approved them. Didn't cost me anything extra, and if they passed, fine, if not, fine.
I love when mangement asks us to do a more thorough vetting of candidates before sending them in. They complain about how it wastes their staff's time. Why would I care?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

I don't have any problem with you doing it. Go ahead and sign on with the new contractor.