Can seniority be used to leave early?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
In our hub absolutely. It has been contested by sups but union seniority has ruled.In my area if is slow something that does not happen very much these days when we need to cut, by majority agreement we put names into a hat seems to keep everyone happy. I with rare exception always stay and get the guarantee to set an example.

sortAISLErules

Time Is Money And Money Is Scarce
Here, it depends on who you ask and who the center manager is catering to at the time. You never know what is what because the union stewards/representation enjoy gobbling down wings and beer with full-time management so much that you can't get a straight answer out about the contract or past practices.

dudebro

As a young sup, I had a labor manager teach me the "right to work" line 15 years ago. I learned that it isn't so simple. In NJ it has been both in practice. If there are 20 employees and you need 15, there is general agreement between mgmt. and the union that you offer top down, and if you're left with less than 15, you force bottom up.

PT Sup here. Yes, seniority is the right to work. However, it is highly recommended that they go by order of seniority. I usually ask my top seniority guys first, you can't be grieved over it but it's the right thing to do. Now, if none of my higher seniority guys want to go home then unfortunately, I am forced to layoff my low seniority guys for the day.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
If I show up to my shift on time I am guaranteed 8 hours...it's not my problem if some days they give people too much work and some days they don't have enough work to give people...our shop steward tells people not to go home if they offer