can someone please describe a typical road test?

I know it's different depending on center and supervisor but can anyone help me with some general information, typically what they look for the most , I have my road test soon and I want to nail it on my first try. I'm 21 years old and I'm eager to start my career as a usper
Thanks you guys!!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
as
I know it's different depending on center and supervisor but can anyone help me with some general information, typically what they look for the most , I have my road test soon and I want to nail it on my first try. I'm 21 years old and I'm eager to start my career as a usper
Thanks you guys!!
ask someone at YOUR center. ( since as you mention that it's different at every center )

1Low59

Thanks you guys!!
They want to make sure you can handle the vehicle in a safe manor and are applying all the safety tools to your driving. Biggest thing is the space cushion. Good luck.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Thanks you guys!!

Any Tips
Didn't you already ask this question?

Tough Guy

They typically will find one of the older sticks to take out. I had mine in p800 4 speed. The 4 speeds seem to have been phased out over the past few years though. We have some 5's still.

Anyway, on my test, the sup had me go around the yard for a few minutes to make sure I could handle the vehicle, before going into live traffic. After that, he basically took me on a 10-15 minute trip and just told me where to turn and so on.

There's as a pretty extensive list of things they're supposed to make you do though. They're supposed to make you park on a hill, and observe if you cut your wheels against the curb, and make sure you start up on a hill with no roll back. They're also supposed to make you back to a dock between two trailers.

Everyone is different but I imagine as long as you show you can safely handle the vehicle they'll probably skip most of the other stuff. I remember watching him just put a bunch of check marks off on all the things we didn't do. Most of the sups probably see road tests as an inconvenience and interruption from their regular work and just want to get through them asap.

Eye To Eye Contact.

I k
Thanks you guys!!
I literally took a ramp to the highway. Took an exit . Headed in. Maybe drove 4-5 miles

DriverNerd

The above is correct, every place will be different.

I will give you a description of what mine entailed: Took an old cattle car (box truck) with 5 speed manual. Supervisor and I did a short pre trip inside building. He drove it out into the yard. We switched spots. He had me familiarize myself with controls, seat position, and gear lever. Took a couple minute spin around the yard to get used to clutch pick up point. When comfortable with that we headed out onto the road.

On road - just followed his directions on where to go. Make sure to stop completely at every stop sign, red light, pedestrian crossing (with people waiting), etc. Obey all traffic laws. Use turn signals religiously. Check your mirrors a lot. DO NOT TAILGATE STAY WAY BACK! Take wide turns (if you're not used to larger vehicles) so you don't hit any curbs.

We made one long loop over highway, busy 4 lane with no median, and some easy residential. Got back to building and had to do a short back just making sure I could back semi-straight. Parked it outside in open area and secured vehicle. We went inside the building, he finished the paperwork, went over things I did well and things needed to work on. Told me I passed and to schedule my training with HR. That was it.

Geo926

They are giving road tests in automatics in my area. WTF. I remember my road test. Stick shift and no power steering.

Ughhh sitting out in the yard like a dark cloud waiting for peak. Such a joke they even go out on the road.