Can the government really come to a UPS Hub?

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
I was told that the government can come at any time to ask questions to the loaders, unloaders, pick off guys..etc. If we answer a question wrong, we cause UPS over $10,000 or something of the like. This was told by me in the very beginning by my "teacher" who was teaching us about UPS..etc. Can this really happen? Has it ever happened?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The "government" that I believe you are referring to is OSHA and yes they have the right to do this.

When I first read the title to your thread I thought you were referring to the random inspection of packages by drug dogs. We have the drug dogs come through our center at least once or twice each year and it is actually quite interesting watching them work, especially when they have a "hit".

ogrelord

Ground Down
UPS hires a company called ketter or something close to that. that comes around and asks you the same questions that OSHA will. you'll get the same old , you need to know this stuff or it's your job speech. In fact, it's stuff you really do need to know, like your emergency evocation plan, what to do if you see a package smoking. where to go for a hurricane or tornado, and how are you notified. Has the fire alarm been sounded in the last 12 months.

I was told that the government can come at any time to ask questions to the loaders, unloaders, pick off guys..etc. If we answer a question wrong, we cause UPS over $10,000 or something of the like. This was told by me in the very beginning by my "teacher" who was teaching us about UPS..etc. Can this really happen? Has it ever happened?

If they charged us for every wrong answer we would have been out of business years ago. It`s outright violations that will bring on the fines.

drewed

Shankman
Id say more on the air side of things.....and its mostly i dont know the exact question but i know where to find the answer type thing

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
UPS pays Keter to audit their facilities and warn them ahead of time if there is a lack of knowledge in their buildings. These are all questions/answers that UPS/OSHA have agreed should be known by every UPS employee who works in their buildings. UPS basically polices themselves which keeps OSHA happy.

They are all easy simple answers. If these questions scare or confuse you, then never become a driver because you have to answer way more harder questions exactly.

UPS pays Keter to audit their facilities and warn them ahead of time if there is a lack of knowledge in their buildings. These are all questions/answers that UPS/OSHA have agreed should be known by every UPS employee who works in their buildings. UPS basically polices themselves which keeps OSHA happy.

They are all easy simple answers. If these questions scare or confuse you, then never become a driver because you have to answer way more harder questions exactly.

Actually your allowed to show "general working knowledge". The "exact" answer part is something management would like but is not guaranteed.

drewed

Shankman
I dont think hes talking about about ketter, I think hes asking about FAA, customs, DOT that reguarly audit our operations make sure we re on top of regs and what not. Which could fine us if we have mutiple finindings

Leftinbuilding

In extreme cases, OSHA could shut down any UPS facility and keep it closed until violations are corrected. And, they can randomly drop in at anytime. Very powerful entity. That is why the Keter audits are such a big deal.

gandydancer

UPS hires a company called ketter or something close to that. that comes around and asks you the same questions that OSHA will. you'll get the same old , you need to know this stuff or it's your job speech. In fact, it's stuff you really do need to know, like your emergency evocation plan, what to do if you see a package smoking. where to go for a hurricane or tornado, and how are you notified. Has the fire alarm been sounded in the last 12 months.

Keter is a subsidiary of Liberty Mutual that audits the OSHA-required safety program (see the OSHA poster posted at your workplace). At one point UPS entered into a complance settlement with OSHA, around HazMats I believe, that required 50 outside audits over a specified period of time, which have already taken place so that that requirement has expired. And there may have been some other CSAs (corporate-wide settlements), but the HazMat one is is the one referenced on every safety certification roster, even those unrelated to HazMats (hence the reference to the 49 CFR section specific to HazMat education).

So far as I know neither the certification questions or the ones Keter asks are OSHA approved nor will they be the same as those asked by OSHA, except in the most general sense. OSHA requires that (for a company of UPS' size) that the safety program be written and efffective, and Keter's job is to convince OSHA that it doesn't need to show up very often. Hence the blizzard of BS paperwork. Keter pretends to be supplying an "outside audit", but like the real property appraisers whose employment depended on hitting the number needed by the mortgage brokers who employed them rather than on reaching an accurate assessment of the real value of the properties underlying the real estate bubble, Keter's employment depends on UPS being happy with how it is portrayed in Keter's audits.

And does front-line management at UPS care about safety? Well, it's been a few years now since UPS ramped up Revenue Recovery around here, but I only recently switched from ODC to that for my first shift, and only this week was assigned to audit packages picked up by one of our centers. The work station turned out to be located at the junction of two belt segments, where a high-speed went from horizontal to sloped upwards. On the side of the belt where the auditor is to pull packages from the belt the yellow "Do Not Handle Packages in This Area" label that is supposed to warn you against handling packages within 2' of the teflon strip covering the junction...had been scraped off. 'Nuf said.

In extreme cases, OSHA could shut down any UPS facility and keep it closed until violations are corrected. And, they can randomly drop in at anytime. Very powerful entity. That is why the Keter audits are such a big deal.

I`ll try and tell this story as short as possible. A few years ago UPS decided to do some concrete cutting work at our building,during the day in the middle of our work. This set off a cloud of dust like Mt. St. Helen. We asked for dust masks and to have the workers use water when they cut to keep the dust down which is what they were supposed to do. UPS said no. We called OSHA. OSHA came out,said supply proper dust masks,use water when cutting, oh and pay this $30k fine as soon as possible or else. The last two years all the concrete work has been done on the weekends when no one is around.

bluehdmc

I think OSHA would have a field day if they ever went into one of the large buildings in the middle/toward the end of a sort. Exits and evacuation routes blocked by irreg carts and packages, etc. I would really hate to see what would happen if there ever was a fire at one of those time. A lot of buildings the only way out of the trailers is down steps to the path of the irreg cart, usually theres maybe 10in on either side of the cart to squeeze through. some buildings it's a maze and to go from an outside entrance to a door. Some buildings there's 15 or more trailer doors between outside entrances.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I wish OSHA would inspect one of the older package cars and honestly determine whether or not it is safe for a human being to sit in, work out of, and drive. For the life of me I cannot understand why it is legal to provide a vehicle that has been designed to allow its drivers head to be propelled at high speed thru the windshield in the event of a collision.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I wish OSHA would inspect one of the older package cars and honestly determine whether or not it is safe for a human being to sit in, work out of, and drive. For the life of me I cannot understand why it is legal to provide a vehicle that has been designed to allow its drivers head to be propelled at high speed thru the windshield in the event of a collision.

GAWDAMMIT SOBER

Can't we have a thread without you bringing up 3-point seatbelts again !!!!!:rolleyes2:

/
/
/
J/K SOBER ----- MERRY XMAS

drewed

Shankman
IDK our building gets walked by OSHA every 6 months or so they walk with the compliance people and the work area sups to find concerns do work orders etc

gandydancer

IDK our building gets walked by OSHA every 6 months or so they walk with the compliance people and the work area sups to find concerns do work orders etc

"do work orders"??

The job of the "compliance people" is to CONCEAL concerns. The facility concerns of the Night Hub Safety Committee here disappeared between the November and December "Minutes" because, we were told, only "approved" concerns could be posted on the Safety Boards, and the only concerns that were approved were those related to employee behavior. "Unloaders are not using load stands", yes, "Untrained loaders are forced to lift 450 lb roller assemblies bodily back onto carrier ramps because bad ramp entrance design makes it easy for the roller assembly wheels to miss the ramps and fall into the gap between trailer and dock", not so much.

HBGPreloader

OSHA is a joke, but that's a rant for another time.
I've heard rumors of the $10k fines, but I doubt they happen until its too late and someone gets seriously hurt.
Just a heads up though, knowing the answers to the safety questions are a condition of your employment. However, where I work, they give you every possible opportunity to learn them and will go as far as (indirectly) giving you the answers while you're taking the written test. I know the answers to the questions, but the last time I was tested, they sat me in a desk where the test with the answers was posted on a board right in front of me.
One more thing, ask your safety person for one of the cards pictured below. It contains most of the answers to your typical safety questions.

Checkers
Graphic1.gif

OSHA is a joke, but that's a rant for another time.
I've heard rumors of the $10k fines, but I doubt they happen until its too late and someone gets seriously hurt.
false the reason osha does these inspections is to prevent accidents (and to fine the companys for revenue) i use to work as a security guard on the side and we had a random osha inspection one sunday, and our company got fined like $100,000 for all kinds of **** by the way ups wont help you get a CDL :)

Last edited by a moderator: