Can they do this? Can I say no?

JLennea

I was recently hired on at ups after 4 years of seasonal driving. Over peak this year I trained golf routes, drove, and helped on an international contract Ups has with another company.
Currently I'm Pm OMS and training for hazmat cert, occasionally still helping at the other company.
I was hired specifically for the OMS position and found out today the center manager wants to send me back to the international job permanently and hire a temp for my desk.
Can the do that? Can I say no? Do I talk to HR.
I like my job, and I do it right and efficiently.
I don't understand why they'd want to give my desk back to a temp when they :censored2: everything up and they have to train a new one every year.

:/ I'm not union so I can't talk to a steward.

PT Car Washer

I was recently hired on at ups after 4 years of seasonal driving. Over peak this year I trained golf routes, drove, and helped on an international contract Ups has with another company.
Currently I'm Pm OMS and training for hazmat cert, occasionally still helping at the other company.
I was hired specifically for the OMS position and found out today the center manager wants to send me back to the international job permanently and hire a temp for my desk.
I don't understand why they'd want to give my desk back to a temp when they :censored2: everything up and they have to train a new one every year.

Even Union members have to work as directed. Why did you seasonal drive for 4 years and not be offered a PT package handler position and then a FT driver job?

JLennea

Even Union members have to work as directed. Why did you seasonal drive for 4 years and not be offered a PT package handler position and then a FT driver job?

I was offered pkg handler and declined and stuck with summer/winter seasonal.
When pm OMS position opened and they called me I took it.

PT Car Washer

I was offered pkg handler and declined and stuck with summer/winter seasonal.
When pm OMS position opened and they called me I took it.
You can certainly explain your position to your manager and to HR but you really have no rights to turn down the position. Only to threaten to resign over the transfer. Should have taken the PT job and moved up to a driving position. But that is only my opinion.

JLennea

You can certainly explain your position to your manager and to HR but you really have no rights to turn down the position. Only to threaten to resign over the transfer. Should have taken the PT job and moved up to a driving position. But that is only my opinion.

It's not that I don't want to be a driver. But I'm the wife to a fire fighter who works 24 hour shifts and mom to two young kids. Driving hours don't really work for my family right now.

The new position is union. So I guess I could just take it and then hope I win a bid on a different job down the road if they force me to do it. :/

PT Car Washer

It's not that I don't want to be a driver. But I'm the wife to a fire fighter who works 24 hour shifts and mom to two young kids. Driving hours don't really work for my family right now.

The new position is union. So I guess I could just take it and then hope I win a bid on a different job down the road if they force me to do it. :/
Sorry. I just assumed you were a young male who thought working PT as a package handler until a FT driver job opened up would be beneath him. Never heard of a non union worker being forced to take a Union position before. You sure about this?

JLennea

Sorry. I just assumed you were a young male who thought working PT as a package handler until a FT driver job opened up would be beneath him. Never heard of a non union worker being forced to take a Union position before. You sure about this?

That's ok. UPS is a male dominated work force, so it's to be expected.
It was brought up today to me as a possibility and I didn't really have the chance to respond.

The person working there now is 22.3 I believe.

If I go union I can't go back to pt sup can I? If it's a union issue maybe they can't do anything if I say I don't want to.

I talked about it with some people in the office tonight and no one really seemed to know the answer. I thought I'd try here

ManInBrown

Once you're management they can send you wherever they want

I can't wait to see the look on his face when they ship our new 22 year old snotty on car to Newark

Indecisi0n

How you doin....

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Not Union?
screw.gif

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
That's ok. UPS is a male dominated work force, so it's to be expected.
It was brought up today to me as a possibility and I didn't really have the chance to respond.

The person working there now is 22.3 I believe.

If I go union I can't go back to pt sup can I? If it's a union issue maybe they can't do anything if I say I don't want to.

I talked about it with some people in the office tonight and no one really seemed to know the answer. I thought I'd try here
I think something has been lost in translation. The only scenario where a management person can jump ship into union is if you are qualifying to be a driver. The more likely scenario is you are being switched to a data sup with a focus on internationals. They aren't going to force you into a union job. It doesn't work that way. You need to get with your center manager and get the whole story

Dragon

Package Center Manager
So is the job the center manager wanting you to take a part-time supervisor in the International area of the building or work off site?