Can they really fire you over this?

Falcon7

So today I came into work as I usually do, I clocked in and started getting my belt ready when the boss or supervisor or whatever the heck he was. I had already noticed something was different just by the fact that the supervisor who gives me a warm greeting every day avoided eye contact with me as did the other four eyed trainer who looks like a bootleg Rick Moranis did. Hell even the guy who fired me couldn't even look at me, he had to actually work up the nerve to talk to me... I swear all the guys there are a bunch of scared guys.

So anyway, as I was getting my belt the main boss came to me and pulled me to the side and informed me and I quote "Eagleking, you don't meet the safety requirements for seniority and I'm going to have to let you go." Then I had to give him my work I.D on the spot and he tells me good luck and that he is sorry. I was just so shocked and embarrassed I didn't really ask any questions and just gave him my I.D and left quickly. I still don't really understand what I did wrong or if I even did anything wrong. My thing is, how is that possible that I don't meet the supposed "safety requirements"when just last week a supervisor told me I was doing a good job following them after observing me alone? It all just seems weird as hell to me.

I wonder if it had anything to do with yesterday though when the bootleg Rick Moranis quizzed me on the steps on stopping the conveyor belts. I got most of them right but I missed like two of them. He is very strict and by the book when it comes to the rules so I'm wondering if he caused this with his sneaky self. I noticed whenever I had him watching over me things went wrong. This guy stopped me over any little thing and then when we got stuffed with boxes he starts yapping at me to speed up. When I think about it I really start to get pretty angry now because nobody even really follows the rules to the T. Seriously every veteran they put me in with were not following the safety guidelines. They tell me all the time to treat the boxes gently so I did and to move fast which I also did, I did the best I could and worked my butt off. All the bosses said I did a good job so I don't understand the issue. I pretty much followed every safety rule, so as long as I show it I should be good. The supervisor who observed me said I did a good job and that I just need to bend more often and I promised him I would.

Anyways, I saw veteran guys throwing boxes and bags on the top when they are suppose to be using the steps, also not bending at the knees. Even SUPERVISORS who were training me weren't utilizing the safety steps through and through, of course they spent a lot of time telling me how to be safe when I was the most safe worker there. A lot of those workers who have been there for years need a review session or something. Practice what you preach honestly! Another thing, the guy who looks over the trailers talked to me after work earlier last week and tells me I haven't been properly trained. I just feel it's nonsense as many times I was sent home because trainers weren't showing up when they were suppose to. And the trainer that actually did show up didn't even train me correctly. At any rate, I'm just so angry and disappointed cause I was supposed to be on my 23rd day today and I was close to seniority and I just get let go just like that. I only ever got to work on my own once or twice, and I never even got to work the full part time hours. In fact I never worked a full week because they kept cutting me, I only dealt with it because they told me I wouldn't have to once I reach seniority. I feel like I was used and thrown away like trash, all that time working my butt off doing the best I can and this crap happens. And to think I was so enthusiastic on my first job, what a disaster...

GetTacosOrDieTrying

What's in the box!!!!!?
So today I came into work as I usually do, I clocked in and started getting my belt ready when the boss or supervisor or whatever the heck he was. I had already noticed something was different just by the fact that the supervisor who gives me a warm greeting every day avoided eye contact with me as did the other four eyed trainer who looks like a bootleg Rick Moranis did. Hell even the guy who fired me couldn't even look at me, he had to actually work up the nerve to talk to me... I swear all the guys there are a bunch of scared guys.

So anyway, as I was getting my belt the main boss came to me and pulled me to the side and informed me and I quote "Eagleking, you don't meet the safety requirements for seniority and I'm going to have to let you go." Then I had to give him my work I.D on the spot and he tells me good luck and that he is sorry. I was just so shocked and embarrassed I didn't really ask any questions and just gave him my I.D and left quickly. I still don't really understand what I did wrong or if I even did anything wrong. My thing is, how is that possible that I don't meet the supposed "safety requirements"when just last week a supervisor told me I was doing a good job following them after observing me alone? It all just seems weird as hell to me.

I wonder if it had anything to do with yesterday though when the bootleg Rick Moranis quizzed me on the steps on stopping the conveyor belts. I got most of them right but I missed like two of them. He is very strict and by the book when it comes to the rules so I'm wondering if he caused this with his sneaky self. I noticed whenever I had him watching over me things went wrong. This guy stopped me over any little thing and then when we got stuffed with boxes he starts yapping at me to speed up. When I think about it I really start to get pretty angry now because nobody even really follows the rules to the T. Seriously every veteran they put me in with were not following the safety guidelines. They tell me all the time to treat the boxes gently so I did and to move fast which I also did, I did the best I could and worked my butt off. All the bosses said I did a good job so I don't understand the issue. I pretty much followed every safety rule, so as long as I show it I should be good. The supervisor who observed me said I did a good job and that I just need to bend more often and I promised him I would.

Anyways, I saw veteran guys throwing boxes and bags on the top when they are suppose to be using the steps, also not bending at the knees. Even SUPERVISORS who were training me weren't utilizing the safety steps through and through, of course they spent a lot of time telling me how to be safe when I was the most safe worker there. A lot of those workers who have been there for years need a review session or something. Practice what you preach honestly! Another thing, the guy who looks over the trailers talked to me after work earlier last week and tells me I haven't been properly trained. I just feel it's nonsense as many times I was sent home because trainers weren't showing up when they were suppose to. And the trainer that actually did show up didn't even train me correctly. At any rate, I'm just so angry and disappointed cause I was supposed to be on my 23rd day today and I was close to seniority and I just get let go just like that. I only ever got to work on my own once or twice, and I never even got to work the full part time hours. In fact I never worked a full week because they kept cutting me, I only dealt with it because they told me I wouldn't have to once I reach seniority. I feel like I was used and thrown away like trash, all that time working my butt off doing the best I can and this crap happens. And to think I was so enthusiastic on my first job, what a disaster...
Yea if you mess up on DOKs and still working towards seniority they can let you go. That's why in the "training" you sit through in the beginning they push that on you so much.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

ea if you mess up on DOKs and still working towards seniority they can let you go. That's why in the "training" you sit through in the beginning they push that on you so much.
I find it amazing they would let people go over it. If you are a good worker and you are just having trouble with DOK I'm not going to let you go. I'm working with you every single night until you get it. But maybe some places just get higher quality new hires than I do.

GetTacosOrDieTrying

What's in the box!!!!!?
I find it amazing they would let people go over it. If you are a good worker and you are just having trouble with DOK I'm not going to let you go. I'm working with you every single night until you get it. But maybe some places just get higher quality new hires than I do.[/Qas
The only time I've seen employees get canned pre seniority on DOKs is if they get injured for mishandling and don't know them. Most sups will try to help in my experience.

Morsi

It's true that the union wont represent because you never made seniority but you can file whats called a ULP (unfair labor practice) with the federal govt agency NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) and if they think you got a good case their lawyers will represent you in court pro bono against UPS to try and get your job back (or settle)

The downside to this is that the legal process can take quite some time for the courts to process your case before reaching a decision, this typically cost the company more money than they are willing to spend and often times they'll offer you a settlement just to stop paying for the court costs.

The plus side is that you have nothing to lose by filing and based off of what you say it sounds like you've got a pretty solid case. I had a friend who was fired for the same reason and he got his job back by filing the ULP, of course the managers were not happy about this and tried to make his life miserable until they realized he was staying and transfered him. Send me a private message if you want more details. There's a link to their website below;

http://www.nlrb.gov/what-we-do

Last edited:
F

FrigidAdCorrector

I didn't even know we had to know dok until well after I got seniority. my whole time as a part timer I never had it memorized
They push it hard in my center. center manager is close to retirement and is worried he's gonna get canned over a Keter before he files the paperwork

F

FrigidAdCorrector

It's true that the union wont represent because you never made seniority but you can file whats called a ULP (unfair labor practice) with the federal govt agency NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) and if they think you got a good case their lawyers will represent you in court pro bono against UPS to try and get your job back (or settle)

The downside to this is that the legal process can take quite some time for the courts to process your case before reaching a decision, this typically cost the company more money than they are willing to spend and often times they'll offer you a settlement just to stop paying for the court costs.

The plus side is that you have nothing to lose by filing and based off of what you say it sounds like you've got a pretty solid case. I had a friend who was fired for the same reason and he got his job back by filing the ULP, of course the managers were not happy about this and tried to make his life miserable until they realized he was staying and transfered him. Send me a private message if you want more details. There's a link to their website below;

http://www.nlrb.gov/what-we-do
It's a term of employment. They can fire him because he agreed to it when he was hired.

oldngray

nowhere special
I remember when they fired a bunch of teachers at my school after a strike. Wait! Not fired. Their contracts were not renewed. Effectively the same result.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Keter is management getting graded. Hourlies could care less. Management freaks out every time but hourlies are "so what?".
Tell that to our hub. They lost 40% of their hourlies last time Keter audited them. We had late and crap loads for 6 weeks after that