can UPS force payout of vacation

chopstic

I'm currently a part-timer. I've been on the PT to FT driver list a while and have been informed that it is very likely I will be given a FT driving opportunity by this coming peak season. I will have two weeks of vacation acrued starting in september of this year (2008), mind you that is PT vacation. I've heard that UPS will try and cash me out of my vacation if i go FT driving. Is this true? If thats the case I will be working a straight two years without any vacation time. At this point the monetary value of my vacation is not nearly as important as the TIME value. A person just needs time off every now and again. Will they really take away my vacation time?

Nitelite

In my HUB, when you go FT, they buyout your vacations for the first year. I and everyone I know who have gone FT have been allowed to take the vacations anyways.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I'm currently a part-timer. I've been on the PT to FT driver list a while and have been informed that it is very likely I will be given a FT driving opportunity by this coming peak season. I will have two weeks of vacation acrued starting in september of this year (2008), mind you that is PT vacation. I've heard that UPS will try and cash me out of my vacation if i go FT driving. Is this true? If thats the case I will be working a straight two years without any vacation time. At this point the monetary value of my vacation is not nearly as important as the TIME value. A person just needs time off every now and again. Will they really take away my vacation time?

Yes, they will pay off all of your vacation and option days.

Whenever your vaca and option picks come back around is the next time you'll have paid vacations.

In the centers and hub I've worked, management usually will allow people in your shoes (and mine when I went full-time a few years ago) to be laid off without pay, so you can have the time. I would just tell management you need time off (in advance) and you simply cannot work that particular day or week, and you do not want to be compensated for those days.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've noticed a lot of the newer drivers in the center get plenty of days off. You'll probably be lucky to drive 3-4 days a week. Your inexperience driving multiple routes gives them a reason to cut you off the manning when they need to.

Overpaid Union Thug

I was hired full-time right after peak but my vacations weren't cashed out because I had already qualified for full-time vacation pay for this year because I had more than enough reports as a part-time cover driver in 2007. A couple of other guys had their vacations paid out to them but they still get the time off during the weeks they had chosen.

brownrodster

In our building, all pt's going to ft keep their scheduled weeks but are paid at pt rate.

When I went full time driver my first year of driving I was allowed no vacations. I scheduled my 4 weeks of vacation as a PTer and went driving soon after that. All weeks were paid to me at driver scale the week before the scheduled vacation but I worked through them. I thought it was pretty cool to get driver scale for vacation weeks I scheduled as a PTer.

Fullhouse

They will let you off if they do not need you. I remember guys trying to make their 30 days. I have seen these guys take their vacation if it feel in that time frame and again I have seen guys skip them also.

M

miasoudis

it is not a matter of forcing you out of your vacation time. you are going driving because there is a need for you to start training. you signed the list and it is your turn to start. If i were you , i would talk to your assigned center and talk about the possibilities of taking a week of so that you get mentally ready for the job, mention it to the manager. you will be surprised how communication will help you succeed. set aside a moment and propose it to your new manager start talking to him and his/her supervisors. if you report to your new assignment rested, the chances are that you will grasp the great amount of knowledge that will be thrown at you is greater.