Can UPS make the bottom 10 FULL TIME Into 22.4

Big Rigger

I've given you enough to steal... So find your own! ;)
beat_dead_horse2.jpg

I will never understand how the rules vary this much depending on locale. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

Because local agreements were separately negotiated for ages, until the NMA was born. People don't wanna give up what they have to make things equal. People think giving up their cool :censored2: to have other people's dog :censored2: sounds dumb. People like me.

35years

Gravy route
The West is the Best...
View attachment 341147
On most things but...

In the Central I get at least (3) 8 hour requests a month....Real 8 hour days...If they dispatch too many stops, I have the right to bring them back and punch. No working late and filing.

For me, that means Fridays are short whenever I want them to be. I know, it's a morsel

Sure, you guys get 10 more paid days off a year, get to retire earlier at 25% higher payouts.

But let me cherish my precious morsel.
1624164429896.png

Last edited:

542thruNthru

On most things but...

In the Central I get at least (3) 8 hour requests a month....Real 8 hour days...If they dispatch too many stops, I have the right to bring them back and punch. No working late and filing.

For me, that means Fridays are short whenever I want them to be. I know, it's a morsel

Sure, you guys get 10 more paid days off a year, get to retire earlier at 25% higher payouts.

But let me cherish my precious morsel.
View attachment 341509
That is amazing language that I keep proposing but remember your language also says..

"No employee shall be granted the same day of the week on a continuous basis."

That language sucks! ;)

35years

Gravy route
That is amazing language that I keep proposing but remember your language also says..

That language sucks! ;)
Not based on language in the Central supplement, but a panel decision in the Central...The panel decision was based on language in the National...So the same could happen in the other regions, but who has the guts to put thier job at stake by "abandoning their route"?

As to " a continuous basis"....Throw in a random Wednesday and many Fridays are not "continuous ".

542thruNthru

Not based on language in the Central supplement, but a panel decision in the Central...The panel decision was based on language in the National...So the same could happen in the other regions, but who has the guts to put thier job at stake by "abandoning their route"?

As to " a continuous basis"....Throw in a random Wednesday and many Fridays are not "continuous ".
To my knowledge the decision was based off of language in the central. Though I could be wrong.

35years

Gravy route
To my knowledge the decision was based off of language in the central. Though I could be wrong.
I could also be wrong but I was told this by a guy who really knows his stuff. I do not have the decision in front of me.

Our other morsel is that they can't require us to go back out once we finish our day and return to the building. And only 24 hour notice needed for an 8 hr request

Both of these combined is not nearly as valuable as 8 more paid days off.

Big Rigger

The language in the decision says that the driver just "can not give a less than normal performance on that given day".
Otherwise, the driver shall not be subject to disciplinary action.
Int#63/Case #147-79... Local 332 grievance...Oct 1979.
Letter of interpretation May 8, 1980
Prior Article 21
Central Región JAC

We've brought back a few unfinished routes and no driver was subject to discipline. And the company asks the driver to run orion trace 100% minus ods and breaking for air commits on the day of the eight hr request.

Funny thing is...
The union doesn't recognize standards but agrees with them here...."less than normal performance"?

I don't have a newer decision. Maybe someone in the CR does.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

That language sucks! ;)
You can have the same day 3 times a month
I was number 1 on the seniority list for a few years only worked late 1 Friday a month

Staydryitsraining

The language in the decision says that the driver just "can not give a less than normal performance on that given day".
Otherwise, the driver shall not be subject to disciplinary action.
Int#63/Case #147-79... Local 332 grievance...Oct 1979.
Letter of interpretation May 8, 1980
Prior Article 21
Central Región JAC

We've brought back a few unfinished routes and no driver was subject to discipline. And the company asks the driver to run orion trace 100% minus ods and breaking for air commits on the day of the eight hr request.

Funny thing is...
The union doesn't recognize standards but agrees with them here...."less than normal performance"?

I don't have a newer decision. Maybe someone in the CR does.
Drivers have brought back the unfinished route in under 14 hours and not been disciplined?

Big Rigger

Drivers have brought back the unfinished route in under 14 hours and not been disciplined?
Eight hr requests was the topic.
Only for over 8 hr dispatch on an approved 8 hr day request, proven inclement weather and sickness, safety related issues, or a DOT hours violation have I seen a driver bring back work and not be disciplined for it.
Better make sure you communicate the issue(s) multiple times with the management in any of those scenarios thru diad messages and/or direct texts that you can retrieve before you just show up at the building with uncompleted work onboard..

35years

Gravy route
I have many times.
You have to follow the rules.

This is how it goes down...
1. Submit a valid 8 hr request ahead of time (here it is by start time the prior day)

2. The 8 hr is not denied (10% of the center by seniority here)

3 The morning of the request inform your supervisor you can't get that many done and he can adjust your dispatch before you start. Come to an agreement (give a reasonable stop count) or tell him you will call telling them how many you will not be finishing.

4. If dispatch is not adjusted, send a diad text in the morning saying you are over dispatched and will need help.

5. Send a text at noon repeating you need stops taken off to make your 8.

6. Call the Union hall before the B.A. goes to lunch telling him you have a valid 8 hr, you informed them and will again. And you intend to bring back the extra stops. Ask him if it comes down to it, should you sheet them as missed or just bring them in.

7. Call the center before pickups (aprox 3 p.m.) and tell them how many you will be bringing back. Ask them if you should sheet them as missed or just bring them back. Tell them the deadline time they have to meet in order to take stops off you, if they so desire. Send a diad text saying how many you can't get done and will have to bring back. Make sure you allow time to either sheet as missed or meet another driver.

8 Before bringing them in call the B.A. and tell him you will be bringing them back to the building. Send a diad text to the center that you are out of time and are now bringing back X number of stops.

9 Sheet the stops as missed if they want you to. If no response sheet them by default. Good service crosses on every package. Put the diad in the cradle and drive back to the center. Put the missed stops where ever the center normally puts missed stops.
Punch out

Only takes a time or two for them to realize you are not kidding around. They will adjust your dispatch each time you say so in the morning.
You may have to repeat the process with new managers.

In the Central your B.A. knows this is the way it works. Confirm it with him. The company prefers this to the penalty pay grievances anyway.

Last edited:

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I have many times.
You have to follow the rules.

This is how it goes down...
1. Submit a valid 8 hr request ahead of time (here it is by start time the prior day)

2. The 8 hr is not denied (10% of the center by seniority here)

3 The morning of the request inform your supervisor you can't get that many done and he can adjust your dispatch before you start. Come to an agreement (give a reasonable stop count) or tell him you will call telling them how many you will not be finishing.

4. If dispatch is not adjusted, send a diad text in the morning saying you are over dispatched and will need help.

5. Send a text at noon repeating you need stops taken off to make your 8.

6. Call the Union hall before the B.A. goes to lunch telling him you have a valid 8 hr, you informed them and will again. And you intend to bring back the extra stops. Ask him if it comes down to it, should you sheet them as missed or just bring them in.

7. Call the center before pickups (aprox 3 p.m.) and tell them how many you will be bringing back. Ask them if you should sheet them as missed or just bring them back. Tell them the deadline time they have to meet in order to take stops off you, if they so desire. Send a diad text saying how many you can't get done and will have to bring back.

8 Before bringing them in call the B.A. and tell him you will be bringing them back to the building. Send a diad text to the center that you are out of time and are now bringing back X number of stops.

9 Sheet the stops as missed if they want you to. If no response sheet them by default. Good service crosses on every package. Put the diad in the cradle and drive back to the center. Put the missed stops where ever the center normally puts missed stops.
Punch out

Only takes a time or two for them to realize you are not kidding around. They will adjust your dispatch each time you say so in the morning.
You may have to repeat the process with new managers.

In the Central your B.A. knows this is the way it works. Confirm it with him. The company prefers this to the penalty pay grievances anyway.
Jesus H Christ, I don’t know why you guys put up with that crap. Come to feeders. Oh, and order 2 sizes up, you’ll grow into it.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
And how many 8 hr days do you get in feeders?

Exactly
It’s been offered to me more than you would think but I always turn it down. There’s even days you can leave before 8 and not even have to burn any meal.