Can UPS Parcel driver helpers ever eventually work for Freight?

Boonie

I'm going to start my first day of an on-call driver helper tomorrow, but am looking into eventually having a long-term career with Freight. Is this possible or have I just screwed myself?

Boonie

In the long run, which would you say is better (benefits, pay, etc.) - driving a TT for Freight or Parcel? For me, Freight is an hour away, but Parcel is two hours away.

UPSGUY72

I'm going to start my first day of an on-call driver helper tomorrow, but am looking into eventually having a long-term career with Freight. Is this possible or have I just screwed myself?

They are totally different divisions of UPS not having anything to do with each other. IF you want a job at Freight you have to apply at specifically under Freight on UPSjobs.com

you working as a helper for package will have no bearing on your ability to get a job a UPS Freight.

Boonie

They are totally different divisions of UPS not having anything to do with each other. IF you want a job at Freight you have to apply at specifically under Freight on UPSjobs.com

you working as a helper for package will have no bearing on your ability to get a job a UPS Freight.

Yeah, I realize that the first part of what you said is true, but there are people saying that once you work for one division of UPS (either Parcel or Freight), UPS has a policy that they can't hire you for the other. Just trying to find out for sure if just being a driver helper automatically disqualifies me for the Freight division. It's good to know that Freight won't consider being a driver helper as actually working for Parcel even though Parcel will be giving me a paycheck.

O

OldSnake63

Yeah, I realize that the first part of what you said is true, but there are people saying that once you work for one division of UPS (either Parcel or Freight), UPS has a policy that they can't hire you for the other. Just trying to find out for sure if just being a driver helper automatically disqualifies me for the Freight division. It's good to know that Freight won't consider being a driver helper as actually working for Parcel even though Parcel will be giving me a paycheck.

you can still work for freight . if you get terminated UPS has a no rehire policy . i know this for a fact because my service ctr has a few dockworkers that were seasonal workers for ups pkg in ontario ca . they even kept the same employee # . good luck !

Boonie

Thanks, OldSnake63.

So...does the no-rehire policy also mean that you can leave one for the other as long as you left in good standing?

O

OldSnake63

Thanks, OldSnake63.

So...does the no-rehire policy also mean that you can leave one for the other as long as you left in good standing?

yes , also you can not work for both at the same time . if i were you and had enough time to wait it out i would stick with small pk . the health and welfare and pension is second to none .what ever you decide look far down the road not just whats going on right now . life moves forwad and if you are working as seasonal helper try your hardest to get hired on . i know the pay isnt great but it does get better ALOT BETTER !!!

Boonie

Thanks, OS! However, I didn't mean work for both at the same time; I meant is it possible to actually quit one later down the road to work for the other? Just curious, even though I know it's better to stay at one for a long-term career, which is my goal.

Boonie

Oh, by the way, the supervisor at the small terminal where I got hired on as a driver helper said to contact her in April to see about getting hired on as a seasonal package car driver. However, the driver I work with says that she knows that there are some seasonal drivers who have been doing that for four years so far. I'm 38, have a family, and don't have ten years to pee away just to get an entry level position as a tractor-trailer driver, and these seasonal positions at this small terminal aren't going to come with insurance, of course. My hope, according to another poster's suggestion, is to get on with one of the larger hubs in Louisville, Ky, to get a better chance of moving up quicker.