Can you go from P/T Sup to friend/T Driver

King Of Queens

Yes you can go from p/t sup to friend/t driver the way it works where I am from in the west is 6 to 1 every 6 union guys promoted to driver 1 non union employee gets hired. Check with the union to find out

pissedoffmanager

Just that... no one answered my other questions but, if I become a part time sup... can I ever change to become a driver?

Some areas of the country require as a PT Sup you are required to have at least a 4 year degree to be a driver.....no joke, other parts of the country do not. You will still be an off the street hire, so it is whatever the ratio is now, 6 or 7 to 1? Something like that.

pissedoffmanager

I know of 3 who did just that.
Just for the record 2 of the 3 were below avg. drivers.

Lol, that doesn't surprise me at all, the ones that go from PT Management into driving are usually far below average drivers, but then end up being FT Driver Sups......that is what I did, and I was actually a good driver, but when it comes to about 9 out of 10 coming up that way.....they suck....simply because they are used to giving orders and not working. The best story I have ever hear from UPS was a PT Sup in the Southeast who was required to have a 4 year degree to go driving.....he enrolled in college for a about a month, and told management and was given the next "off the street" drivers job, and was promoted to driver sup less than four days later....the kicker....he quit college the same day he started FT as a Sup, so he screwed UPS over big time.........................

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Lol, that doesn't surprise me at all, the ones that go from PT Management into driving are usually far below average drivers, but then end up being FT Driver Sups......that is what I did, and I was actually a good driver, but when it comes to about 9 out of 10 coming up that way.....they suck....simply because they are used to giving orders and not working. The best story I have ever hear from UPS was a PT Sup in the Southeast who was required to have a 4 year degree to go driving.....he enrolled in college for a about a month, and told management and was given the next "off the street" drivers job, and was promoted to driver sup less than four days later....the kicker....he quit college the same day he started FT as a Sup, so he screwed UPS over big time.........................

Is that screwing UPS? Doesn't UPS screw enough people over to make a buck or try to control. Plus, do you really want someone educated as driver sup? barking orders and drop kicking diads are the 2 qualifications, maybe a football player type is the best fit. :)

It is funny to hear how someone 1-upd the system on that end though.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
At the corner by our building is a dead end sign. I tell part time sups that's not there because the road stops. It describes the opportunities for a p/t sup in our center. As a side note, the latest rumor from feeder central is that South Fla. district is cutting 40% of all part time supervisors by June.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I did it !!

Managed 3 years on the preload and I enjoyed it to a point. My concern was seeing FT-sups working 12 hour days and always battling something. I couldn't see myself in their positions, though I covered vacations for the FT preload sups and learned the inner workings of the hierarchy.

I had great relationships with the higher management team in our building. I talked with the center manager a lot and the DM always had an open door policy. I wouldn't want to call it a dead end job, but to be in FT management you have to drink the Kool-aid, like the Kool-aid, and want more of the Kool-aid.

The center manager knew I wanted to get out and when he moved to a different center, he called me and told me he could get me in over there as a driver. The only catch was to get me release from the DM. It took me 3 months over the summer asking for it. Finally, he came up to me and said he'd let me be a driver but I had to do it in this building not the other one.

8 1/2 years later, I'm still driving and enjoy it a lot. The thing that helped me the most was working well with upper management. They will help people they like over PT sups they'd like to have quit. All PT-sup must complete 30 days on-road as a driver to go into FT. Also, the 6-1 ratio applies at all times, 6 pt union employees given the chance to drive over an outside hire. You are considered the outside hire because you are not in the union.

Also, when you go from union to management, always go to the union hall and get your withdrawal card. It stops all the dues and if you do get back in the union, you won't have to pay back all the dues you missed while supervising.

I did it !!

Managed 3 years on the preload and I enjoyed it to a point. My concern was seeing FT-sups working 12 hour days and always battling something. I couldn't see myself in their positions, though I covered vacations for the FT preload sups and learned the inner workings of the hierarchy.

I had great relationships with the higher management team in our building. I talked with the center manager a lot and the DM always had an open door policy. I wouldn't want to call it a dead end job, but to be in FT management you have to drink the Kool-aid, like the Kool-aid, and want more of the Kool-aid.

The center manager knew I wanted to get out and when he moved to a different center, he called me and told me he could get me in over there as a driver. The only catch was to get me release from the DM. It took me 3 months over the summer asking for it. Finally, he came up to me and said he'd let me be a driver but I had to do it in this building not the other one.

8 1/2 years later, I'm still driving and enjoy it a lot. The thing that helped me the most was working well with upper management. They will help people they like over PT sups they'd like to have quit. All PT-sup must complete 30 days on-road as a driver to go into FT. Also, the 6-1 ratio applies at all times, 6 pt union employees given the chance to drive over an outside hire. You are considered the outside hire because you are not in the union.

Also, when you go from union to management, always go to the union hall and get your withdrawal card. It stops all the dues and if you do get back in the union, you won't have to pay back all the dues you missed while supervising.
Good post Heff. Getting the withdrawal card keeps you in good standing (not owing them money on back dues)with the union. Without the good standing you can not collect any pension you may have coming from the union.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Good post Heff. Getting the withdrawal card keeps you in good standing (not owing them money on back dues)with the union. Without the good standing you can not collect any pension you may have coming from the union.

I brought that up because it happened to me. Everyone that goes into management feels they will be there forever. That is so far from the truth its absurd. It is easy just to go down and sign the form whenever you leave the union for whatever reason. You may return to a union job in the future and be able to jump back into the union no strings attached.

I had to payback 3 years of part time dues to return in good standing. I believe I lost those years of service for my pension regardless. (I don't think I had enough union hours in the first and last years of supervision anyways)

BOTTOM LINE - Never burn bridges anywhere you go, you may need them again !!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have to disagree with those who say that you can go back to driving if you do not care for mgt. We had a driver who went in to supervision and wanted to go back to driving and was not allowed to. She nows works for the telephone company. This may be unique to my district or contract supplement.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I have to disagree with those who say that you can go back to driving if you do not care for mgt. We had a driver who went in to supervision and wanted to go back to driving and was not allowed to. She nows works for the telephone company. This may be unique to my district or contract supplement.

You are absolutly correct. There is no formula to go back into the union. Most times downright impossible. But is it possible? yes

I was friends with everyone, union and non-union alike. I used my friendships to get back, and always worked well with the Teamsters when I was on the otherside.

Timing is the key here !! I went back when UPS was growing and needed more drivers. Now, UPS is dropping drivers and keeping the roster leaner than ever. Could I have made my move this year compared to 2000? I would have to guess no.

It is standing policy here that you can go from PT hourly, to PT sup to FT driving and then....if you've lost your mind completely to FT sup. Of course all the cards have to be played right at the right times for it all to happen. We've had several PT sups go into driving and a couple then to FT management even after two-three years.
FT sups returning to union work, no.