Can you loan your 401?

UPS4Life

I was wondering if you are able to loan against your 401k to pay off a loan. The reason I ask is because I don't want to withdraw and get penalized but wasn't sure if you could loan against it and pay that back instead. Not sure if this may be different by location but Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPS4Life

Yeah that's what I was able to find out also. Reason being would be to pay off a home equity loan to sell a house but to loan a 401 it sounds like you need to be all but foreclosed.

Sent using BrownCafe App

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yeah that's what I was able to find out also. Reason being would be to pay off a home equity loan to sell a house but to loan a 401 it sounds like you need to be all but foreclosed.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Yes you can get a loan for down payment on primary home.

Under water?
Maybe?. Thats why I didnt understand the question.

As a side note to everybody. Dont take a 401k loan out,unless It's the very last resort. it may seem convient. but dont mess with your future.

I know a few people that have taken out loans,that they shouldn't have.

Lost their job and couldnt pay it off. got hit with income taxes and penalties.

Future

Victory Ride
I was wondering if you are able to loan against your 401k to pay off a loan. The reason I ask is because I don't want to withdraw and get penalized but wasn't sure if you could loan against it and pay that back instead. Not sure if this may be different by location but Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Maybe?. Thats why I didnt understand the question.

As a side note to everybody. Dont take a 401k loan out,unless It's the very last resort. it may seem convient. but dont mess with your future.

I know a few people that have taken out loans,that they shouldn't have.

Lost their job and couldnt pay it off. got hit with income taxes and penalties.
Thank You!