Can you turn off telematics?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Telematics was always a big thing in my Center, we were updated during just about every PCM about them. I don't understand drivers trying to cheat the system. It shows everything you do and in what order every time you make a stop. I've seen the reports when working on the Safety Committee. They show how fast you are driving, when you touch the ignition switch, when you undo and put on the seatbelt, if the bulkhead door is open or shut, and how far and fast you go in Reverse. These guys sitting on their seatbelt really take the cake. While you can't be disciplined on technology, your management team knows who to go out and observe and catch in the act. It has got some drivers out of trouble by showing they weren't at a place or there at a certain time with false customer accusations.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Those drivers don't work for Amazon anyway, they work for a contractor, so unplug what you want.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Telematics was always a big thing in my Center, we were updated during just about every PCM about them. I don't understand drivers trying to cheat the system. It shows everything you do and in what order every time you make a stop. I've seen the reports when working on the Safety Committee. They show how fast you are driving, when you touch the ignition switch, when you undo and put on the seatbelt, if the bulkhead door is open or shut, and how far and fast you go in Reverse. These guys sitting on their seatbelt really take the cake. While you can't be disciplined on technology, your management team knows who to go out and observe and catch in the act. It has got some drivers out of trouble by showing they weren't at a place or there at a certain time with false customer accusations.

It was big here, too.

Did you get the big lie when it was first introduced that it was just an automotive tool?

542thruNthru

It was big here, too.

Did you get the big lie when it was first introduced that it was just an automotive tool?
We got that also. My center manager at the time was a pretty straight up guy and right after he said that lie he stopped and said. "Guy we all know why this program is really here. So be smart about it." That's when they also told us what would happen if we tampered with it.

Its also why I laugh when people put the info notice on the monitor. If it was really a camera do you think UPS would allow that... I mean come on.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It was big here, too.

Originally it was designed for automotive to keep up with engine temps and oil pressure, although our shop didn't seem to pay attention to that. UPS realize a few extra sensors could easily be added to the system to show driver behavior so those got added. At the same time, we were told that cars couldn't be modified in anyway for warranty issues, so they pulled the cig lighters out so we couldn't charge our phones and radios.

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
Let's see. UPS invested a bazzillion and two dollars developing the Telematics and associated infrastructure. If you ask your Center Manager really nicely I am sure he or she would say that it would be fine to turn it off.

Seriously - Just do the job the right way and let them watch...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Lol, UPS says they can instantly track you at any time, unless you have an off route, then they "can't find you", "you have to deliver it"...

oldngray

nowhere special
Originally it was designed for automotive to keep up with engine temps and oil pressure, although our shop didn't seem to pay attention to that. UPS realize a few extra sensors could easily be added to the system to show driver behavior so those got added. At the same time, we were told that cars couldn't be modified in anyway for warranty issues, so they pulled the cig lighters out so we couldn't charge our phones and radios.
It was never designed to be just for automotive. It would have been a waste of money to include extra capabilities that were never going to be used. They were tracking some things a lot earlier than they admitted to. And of course added more sensors later.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Absolutely.

s-l400.jpg

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Actually there's another way...

Play with your diad..

You will find it.

AND!!!!!!!!!!!

They will call you about an hour later to "correct the prompt"...

0*Qs17rFSyHBz8pbkr

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Wonder if telematics shows me yanking my bulkhead door off the bottom track because I couldn’t get inside the truck