Cancel culture—-ON TOPIC

rickyb

It's not!
yea im gonna look up howard zinn on the civil war

Barresi brings up public apologies -- like Clinton's apology for slavery (Zinn says apologies substitute for real action) -- and then they segue into a discussion of the NAACP's fight to have South Carolina take the Confederate flag down from its statehouse, Barresi mentioning "but then there is the glaring contradiction of the American flag flying unquestioned." I've bolded Zinn's words.

HZ: That's interesting. If somebody suggested we take down the American flag...because the American flag was, for most of its history, really wrapped around the confederate flag... Right. In fact, it's more serious. The confederacy never invaded the Phillipines. We might call for a substitution of the confederate flag for the American flag! (laughs)

DB: It's interesting how that functions to "cut off' a part of the country, or a smaller population, to be left with the blame.

HZ: Yeah, that's a very interesting point. In fact, the whole national culture- well, especially in the North- is based on the fact that the South is racist and the North is liberal, and that slavery and racism were southern phenomena which the North was going to correct. Of course, it completely ignores the amount of racism in the North and the support of slavery by the federal government. One of the things I always tried to emphasize was that the Civil Rights movement was not a movement directed primarily against southern segregation. The fundamental problem was not the state legislatures, or the local police, or the state segregation laws. That whole network of racial segregation laws was supported by the federal government. The federal government simply refused to enforce the 14th and 15th amendments. Therefore, black people had to do it themselves.

So I would never get excited about whether the American or confederate flag is hanging or not hanging. I just couldn't care less about that issue... To me it's not an important issue. There are people on the left who get all wrapped up in the issue of "should we or should we not have the right to burn the flag?" I just don't care enough about it. It's a deflection from really important things that need to be said.

rickyb

I don’t really understand cancel culture but I do understand boycotts.

I mean if you’re a reprehensible d-bag who’s been doing a-hole things for a decade, why should people want anything to do with you? It’s like your freedom of speech. Say what you like. Doesn’t mean I have to listen or do business with you.

We have a local car dealership that goes out of its way to put fairly right wing religious billboards out front of their building. I certainly believe it’s their right to do so but I won’t shop there. Obviously they will still do good business.

So is it cancel culture when they finally offend enough people that it really hurts their business? Who’s fault is that?
we need to boycott divest and sanction israel and saudi arabia

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Seriously ... I think it's a bit ludicrous to have an "ON TOPIC" thread in Current Events.
I remember when we implemented that 'feature', we excluded Current Events and the Fed Ex forums.
Normally I agree with you but I get tired of all the threads, no matter what the topic, being turned turned into the same rambling threads, over and over, by the same few people. Case in point:

we need to boycott divest and sanction israel and saudi arabia

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Seriously ... I think it's a bit ludicrous to have an "ON TOPIC" thread in Current Events.
I remember when we implemented that 'feature', we excluded Current Events and the Fed Ex forums.
Well, you don't have to post in it if you can't control yourself. :teethy:

Currently, UPS discussions is the only on topic forum. Other threads in other forums can request on topic.... occasionally...

El Correcto

god is dead
Normally I agree with you but I get tired of all the threads, no matter what the topic, being turned turned into the same rambling threads, over and over, by the same few people. Case in point:
I would like more on topic threads honestly. I mean usually it’s whoever comes up with the quickest zinger or jab in the first couple comments to cut down the OP and derails from there into a childish name calling and one liners.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
4z8y5s.jpg

9bf14b4951e81bdd37032796901b8869.gif

She was fired for saying something as a private citizen and not in her capacity as a Disney employee. So yes, she might have a case there. If she had said Trump is a big poopy head like almost every other actor she'd still have her job.
I’m sure Disney has a speech clause in their contracts. UPS drivers have taken media training. They are told to say “no comment” when approached by media. Because, Drivers represent UPS.

A driver could possibly be fired for speaking in a matter unfavorable to UPS values. The training says nothing about weather you are working at the time, or any off limit topics.

What happened to the guy that was talking racial slurs in front of a ring doorbell. Did he get fired?

I’m sure trump would want EVERYONE fired for calling him a poopy poop head. But probably a time out or a long nap is more appropriate. 😄

vantexan

I’m sure Disney has a speech clause in their contracts. UPS drivers have taken media training. They are told to say “no comment” when approached by media. Because, Drivers represent UPS.

A driver could possibly be fired for speaking in a matter unfavorable to UPS values. The training says nothing about weather you are working at the time, or any off limit topics.

What happened to the guy that was talking racial slurs in front of a ring doorbell. Did he get fired?

I’m sure trump would want EVERYONE fired for calling him a poopy poop head. But probably a time out or a long nap is more appropriate. 😄
UPS drivers in their uniform on the job are in a totally different situation. The fact remains that Carano didn't say anything disparaging about Holocaust victims. She pointed out that the way Jews were treated by other Germans leading up to them being put in concentration camps is very similar to way conservatives are being talked about and treated on Twitter. This enraged the Left on Twitter as she was comparing them to racist Nazis. Didn't actually call them that, just noted the parallels. So they twisted her words and like many nervous corporations who are concerned about boycotts and profits Disney cut their ties with her. Cancel culture 101.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

She said people shouldn't act like Nazis.
Don't think UPS is going to be firing anyone for that.

It will be fine

UPS drivers in their uniform on the job are in a totally different situation. The fact remains that Carano didn't say anything disparaging about Holocaust victims. She pointed out that the way Jews were treated by other Germans leading up to them being put in concentration camps is very similar to way conservatives are being talked about and treated on Twitter. This enraged the Left on Twitter as she was comparing them to racist Nazis. Didn't actually call them that, just noted the parallels. So they twisted her words and like many nervous corporations who are concerned about boycotts and profits Disney cut their ties with her. Cancel culture 101.
The problem with your narrative is this wasn’t one incident. She made comments before and was told to cut it out. She’s a public figure and is popular because of her association with the Disney brand. She refused to behave on social media and failed to represent the brand to the standard required.

Training says nothing about wearing a uniform. An actor’s face is their uniform (so to speak). If you were interviewed about anything on a Sunday morning in your street clothes, and word came out you were a local UPS driver, any controversial statements could pose a problem for you in many ways.

vantexan

Training says nothing about wearing a uniform. An actor’s face is their uniform (so to speak). If you were interviewed about anything on a Sunday morning in your street clothes, and word came out you were a local UPS driver, any controversial statements could pose a problem for you in many ways.
Your company has a right to control what you say in your official capacity as an employee. In your off time they have a right to terminate your employment if you do anything that would reflect badly on the company, such as committing a felony. They do not have the right to take away your free speech rights in your off hours as long as you aren't doing things like yelling fire in a theater.

vantexan

The problem with your narrative is this wasn’t one incident. She made comments before and was told to cut it out. She’s a public figure and is popular because of her association with the Disney brand. She refused to behave on social media and failed to represent the brand to the standard required.
She got fired because the Twitter mob didn't like her characterization of them and Disney wimped out. There was nothing derogatory of Holocaust survivors said by her. If people can distort what you say and get you fired then is that the kind of country you want? Wait, forgot who I was talking to.