Cancel culture—-ON TOPIC

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

And now it’s Dr. Seuss’ turn.

Just read up on the history of Seuss’s “Yertle the Turtle” and see just how pathetic this cancel culture is becoming.

I guess if you lower the bar of aesthetics everybody is equal. That is called mediocrity, Hitler was a true master of it: labeling non conforming more talented artists as “degenerates” while providing opportunities to “hacks”..

vantexan

Just read up on the history of Seuss’s “Yertle the Turtle” and see just how pathetic this cancel culture is becoming.

I guess if you lower the bar of aesthetics everybody is equal. That is called mediocrity, Hitler was a true master of it: labeling non conforming more talented artists as “degenerates” while providing opportunities to “hacks”..
I'm beginning to think this cancel culture thing is akin to something like the tulip mania in Holland in the 1630's. People are frothing at the mouth climbing over each other to get at their despised target. Wait, that sounds more like a zombie apocalypse.

Mutineer

I guess a story about unity despite differences is now right-wing extremism.

A perfect example of confession through projection. Racists calling everyone else racist.
At some point I realized that parody and reality have become indistinguishable.

Poe's law was originally applied to the subject of creationism. And it belongs only there.

For Poe's law to be relevant anywhere else is beyond disturbing.

El Correcto

god is dead
I'm beginning to think this cancel culture thing is akin to something like the tulip mania in Holland in the 1630's. People are frothing at the mouth climbing over each other to get at their despised target. Wait, that sounds more like a zombie apocalypse.
If you think this cancel culture is bad, you should of seen how Europe tried to cancel the Jews many times.

seriously though, I think “cancel culture”, social exclusion, has been around forever. It’s human nature. With technology advancing it’s just harder to escape from, but not as deadly as it used to be.

vantexan

If you think this cancel culture is bad, you should of seen how Europe tried to cancel the Jews many times.

seriously though, I think “cancel culture”, social exclusion, has been around forever. It’s human nature. With technology advancing it’s just harder to escape from, but not as deadly as it used to be.
Before all of this ability to communicate things took time. Word of mouth. By the time the pitchforks and torches were seen coming down the goat trail the accused had a reasonable chance to escape. Speaking of which many Jews in Spain ended up in New Mexico where outwardly they were Catholic but practiced their Judaism at home in secret.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
At some point I realized that parody and reality have become indistinguishable.

Poe's law was originally applied to the subject of creationism. And it belongs only there.

For Poe's law to be relevant anywhere else is beyond disturbing.

Never heard of Poe's Law. I read up on it, it sounds as though, even if this is not the original intent, it is being used to justify being offended without taking the time to understand context. Sure, people will use ambiguity to get away with stuff, but if it's just words, why is anyone getting upset?

I think that what we are seeing now is the unforseen consequences of people of differing cultures mingling so easily, with everyone assuming that everyone else shares the same values and conceptualizes everything within the same framework. That creates a lot of room for misunderstanding, and viewpoint supremacy, hence the woke crowd thinking it's their duty to police everyone's thinking.

I'd say that the solution to Poe's Law would be it's inverse, always assume someone is pulling your leg, or that you are missing something, until you confirm otherwise.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

In Psychology circles it's known as social sanctions. This used to apply to small communities wherein there were shared values and some level of trust and understanding involved. Take that and scale it to a global level, where people are generally misunderstanding the behaviors they are trying to sanction, or believe their views of appropriate behavior are supreme (ie viewpoint supremacy), and the result is cancel culture. We need to develop a better system to address the misunderstandings and viewpoint supremacy before we are left with nothing but a global monoculture of increasingly restrictive pc garbage.

Mutineer

Never heard of Poe's Law. I read up on it, it sounds as though, even if this is not the original intent, it is being used to justify being offended without taking the time to understand context. Sure, people will use ambiguity to get away with stuff, but if it's just words, why is anyone getting upset?
I do not interpret Poe's law as a reason to "justify" anything. It came out around the time of the introduction of the teachings of The Flying Spaghetti Monster. To know the FSM, is to know the purpose of Poe's law.

As a name to identify when the accepted explanation of an event or belief is no less absurd than a genuine parody.

bbsam

Staff member
She got fired because the Twitter mob didn't like her characterization of them and Disney wimped out. There was nothing derogatory of Holocaust survivors said by her. If people can distort what you say and get you fired then is that the kind of country you want? Wait, forgot who I was talking to.
Hey, that’s corporate America for ya! Thin skinned cry babies. I’m in a similar situation with a local driver. She’s made comments about a large shipper and that shipper has raised objections to the very highest levels of the company. It’s ridiculous, but it’s not about democrats or republicans. It’s the overly rich and powerful that do not want to hear anything negative about themselves. It’s crazy really.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
Hey, that’s corporate America for ya! Thin skinned cry babies. I’m in a similar situation with a local driver. She’s made comments about a large shipper and that shipper has raised objections to the very highest levels of the company. It’s ridiculous, but it’s not about democrats or republicans. It’s the overly rich and powerful that do not want to hear anything negative about themselves. It’s crazy really.

Liberals: the system is racist.

@MAKAVELI

"Cuckservatives": the system is classist.

vantexan

In Carano's case she wasn't criticizing corporate America. She expressed an opinion that one group was demonizing another group which had an eerie similarity to what happened to Jews before WWII when they were verbally assaulted, then physically assaulted, to the point that the Nazi government started segregating them. And ultimately hauled them off to concentration camps and killed them. It's a bit of hyperbole to be sure, but a reaction to liberals openly saying Trump supporters need to be deprogrammed, their kids taken from them, etc. Ronald Reagan said something to the effect that we have to be ever vigilant because we're just one generation away from losing our freedom. Whether you believe it or not, like Reagan or not, you have to have noticed that the Dems have openly talked of creating new states with enough liberal senators to tip the balance. Of putting a high number of justices on SCOTUS with the new appointees being liberal. There's only one reason to do such things. To give Democrats an insurmountable control of our government. To essentially have one party rule. You might think that's a great idea but if such moves are made there won't be a shrug and acquiescence by Republicans. There will be open revolt. People with children ought to think about the path that would put the country on. It's crazy that this idea has even come about but the hyperventilating on the internet seems to drive it. Be careful what you wish for.

MAKAVELI

In Carano's case she wasn't criticizing corporate America. She expressed an opinion that one group was demonizing another group which had an eerie similarity to what happened to Jews before WWII when they were verbally assaulted, then physically assaulted, to the point that the Nazi government started segregating them. And ultimately hauled them off to concentration camps and killed them. It's a bit of hyperbole to be sure, but a reaction to liberals openly saying Trump supporters need to be deprogrammed, their kids taken from them, etc. Ronald Reagan said something to the effect that we have to be ever vigilant because we're just one generation away from losing our freedom. Whether you believe it or not, like Reagan or not, you have to have noticed that the Dems have openly talked of creating new states with enough liberal senators to tip the balance. Of putting a high number of justices on SCOTUS with the new appointees being liberal. There's only one reason to do such things. To give Democrats an insurmountable control of our government. To essentially have one party rule. You might think that's a great idea but if such moves are made there won't be a shrug and acquiescence by Republicans. There will be open revolt. People with children ought to think about the path that would put the country on. It's crazy that this idea has even come about but the hyperventilating on the internet seems to drive it. Be careful what you wish for.
Freedom of speech does not= Freedom from consequences.

vantexan

Freedom of speech does not= Freedom from consequences.
Nor does it allow tyranny of the powerful. Only now with mob psychology it appears to.

There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware

I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong...

Buffalo Springfield

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I do not interpret Poe's law as a reason to "justify" anything. It came out around the time of the introduction of the teachings of The Flying Spaghetti Monster. To know the FSM, is to know the purpose of Poe's law.

As a name to identify when the accepted explanation of an event or belief is no less absurd than a genuine parody.

That was just what I gathered from the articles I read explaining Poe's Law. It does seem to me that the thinking behind Poe's law encourages that sort of thought superiority by which people use their perceived superiority as the sole basis for mocking ideas that are different than ones they believe. It's judgmental at its core, to declare something as absurd rather than to say you find something absurd.

Stating opinion as fact, that is a big problem today, many people don't understand the distinction, or why it's important. In a way, you could say Poe's Law is driving cancel culture. Sorry, not trying to beat a dead horse, this idea has pretty wide ranging implications, and I'm just trying to wrap my mind around it.

bbsam

Staff member
Do you pay attention to what you write? There is one party that openly insists that if they do not win, it is because of fraud.

There is one party that will openly demand that hundreds of thousands of votes be declared invalid in areas not favorable to them.

There is one party that will insist on claiming fraud in the court of public opinion but refuses to show evidence of fraud in court.

There is one party that will violently attempt to end a democratic process on the whims of a single political blow hard. Cult? Maybe.

I am not in favor of one party rule. We probably need more than two. I’m not sure that today’s Republican Party needs to be one of them.

vantexan

Do you pay attention to what you write? There is one party that openly insists that if they do not win, it is because of fraud.

There is one party that will openly demand that hundreds of thousands of votes be declared invalid in areas not favorable to them.

There is one party that will insist on claiming fraud in the court of public opinion but refuses to show evidence of fraud in court.

There is one party that will violently attempt to end a democratic process on the whims of a single political blow hard. Cult? Maybe.

I am not in favor of one party rule. We probably need more than two. I’m not sure that today’s republican party
Well Bubba if y'all would just stop cheating. This isn't hard.