Can't carry cell phone on your person

Md2drag

Today in our PCM we were told we can no longer carry a cell phone on our person, must be locked in back of package car and only when punched out oon meal is it to be touched.

1.they told us we can't leave diad in back of pkg car on meal due to heat, why do I have to put my iPhone back there for the same reason.

2. If there was a family emergency I can't hear it back there, checking phone every time go in bulk head door is not productive.

3.i am a swing driver so I am on a different route and use my phone for maps. Not while vehicle is moving of course.

4.3 of the 4 calls yesterday were from management.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
I check my phone periodically throughout the day but there is no chance in hell I'm leaving my iPhone to bake in the back. All communication I do with the center is mostly through Diad unless its a breakdown or something complicated. They don't provide me with a cell phone for UPS business so I'm not obligated to use my personal phone for UPS business.

CRASH501

LMAO! "GOOD LUCK" what do feeder driver do? and I guess now they have to worry about diads being robbed at lunch! I know 50+ drivers that will NEVER take it to meal

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My cellphone is clipped to my drink holder throughout the day. I don't carry it on my person as I feel it is unprofessional to have the phone ring or beep while making a delivery. It is my choice as to whether I use the phone for work.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As soon as I get in the car, it comes out of my pocket and it's on vibrate.
I don't talk and drive just like I don't drink and drive.
I check it occasionally when I stop.

HomeDelivery

u guys are lucky you can message the center via your DIAD

Express & Ground has that capability as well

HD will be upgrading our old gray scanners to a black sleek scanner similar to the DIAD V & hope they'll have messaging capability to our centers / hubs

in the meantime, my cellphone stays in my pocket (it's not a smartphone/ just a prepaid talk phone)

klein

Für Meno :)
Face it, people are abusing cell phones, and some text thru out the entire day.
Just look how many people are posting here while at work !

Someone needs to put a stop to it.
Family emergencies ? Well, they can call the center and be re-directed to you, like in the olden days !

over9five

Staff member
Some hazmat guy driving his little cart was texting yesterday. They can't even control the employees in the building, how they going to control people onroad???

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Some hazmat guy driving his little cart was texting yesterday. They can't even control the employees in the building, how they going to control people onroad???
The "'safety committee co-chair" is frequently seen texting while driving the little cart in the building, here.

HomeDelivery

Face it, people are abusing cell phones, and some text thru out the entire day.
Just look how many people are posting here while at work !

yea I have no idea how/why they're posting while working ?!? maybe they're on break?

I'm not a FT driver right now, so I can do this safely on my laptop while my baby's napping :P

in my state, though, the po-po is out there in force to get some revenue & it's the law now for them to stop anyone talking without a hands-free device / texting on a phone... so "commercial drivers" have more to lose if caught; PUT IT AWAY!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
yea I have no idea how/why they're posting while working ?!? maybe they're on break?

I'm not a FT driver right now, so I can do this safely on my laptop while my baby's napping :P

in my state, though, the po-po is out there in force to get some revenue & it's the law now for them to stop anyone talking without a hands-free device / texting on a phone... so "commercial drivers" have more to lose if caught; PUT IT AWAY!

Sage advice.

klein

I work with a lady that can't put her cell phone down. IT sucks, because I need to take up the slack.
She just sits there and textes, and even if she goes down the ailes, she textes, or goes to the bathroom, or even outside for a smoke.
She can't leave her phone out of her hands !

I would have fired her, personally.
And she only works 4 hrs a day, and can't keep her phone of her hands !

Oh well, she's been there for over 3 years, me only 3 months, just got a raise yesterday, and now earning as much as her, and boss promised me another raise in the near future, too.
Good thing it's not a union job, otherwise that (pay raises), wouldn't be allowed.

I work with a lady that can't put her cell phone down. IT sucks, because I need to take up the slack.
She just sits there and textes, and even if she goes down the ailes, she textes, or goes to the bathroom, or even outside for a smoke.
She can't leave her phone out of her hands !

I would have fired her, personally.
And she only works 4 hrs a day, and can't keep her phone of her hands !

Oh well, she's been there for over 3 years, me only 3 months, just got a raise yesterday, and now earning as much as her, and boss promised me another raise in the near future, too.
Good thing it's not a union job, otherwise that (pay raises), wouldn't be allowed.

Pay raises are allowed. You just have to be off the bottle long enough to stay around a company and earn one.

klein

Pay raises are allowed. You just have to be off the bottle long enough to stay around a company and earn one.

You don't even know how hard I work for a living. I work totally differents shifts each day, and on my day off(s), I do Grocery and liqour delivery.
Probably have a new contract with a Ukrainian perogy/cabbage roll place now, too (need to deliver those items to major grocery stores).

So, I work 7 days a week, from 7am to 1am, and only because of having early retirement in mind, and want to work as much as I can being healthy and fit.
Now, I'm suppose to sell hot dogs at major events, too. Got calls already to go to them - I have no more spare time ! I need to clone myself !

I been overwelmed with that problem, and bugs me every day !

But as a bonus, I got a liquor and pro-serve licence now, so now, I'm even legally allowed to sell beer and other alcohol at those events, which would add a fortune to my income, plus getting 15% off the costs of all of it !

P

pickup

You don't even know how hard I work for a living. I work totally differents shifts each day, and on my day off(s), I do Grocery and liqour delivery.
Probably have a new contract with a Ukrainian perogy/cabbage roll place now, too (need to deliver those items to major grocery stores).

So, I work 7 days a week, from 7am to 1am, and only because of having early retirement(THE PROBLEM IS THAT YOU TOOK EARLY RETIREMENT FOR THE LAST THREE YEARS OR SO AND NOW HAVE TO MAKE UP FOR LOST TIME) in mind, and want to work as much as I can being healthy and fit.
Now, I'm suppose to sell hot dogs at major events, too. Got calls already to go to them - I have no more spare time ! I need to clone myself(PLEASE!!!!!I BEG YOU . DON'T) !

But as a bonus, I got a liquor and pro-serve licence now, so now, I'm even legally allowed to sell beer and other alcohol at those events, which would add a fortune to my income, plus getting 15% off the costs of all of it !

Oh klein, your predicament reminds me of the same one Poor Patches faced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvfsfS6NVUc

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Family emergencies ? Well, they can call the center and be re-directed to you, like in the olden days !

My son broke his wrist when he fell off the monkey bars. My (ex) wife could not get ahold of me (she was working in Vermont) so she called her Dad who then took him to the ER. I did not find out about it until I called home later that day.

So, I work 7 days a week, from 7am to 1am, and only because of having early retirement in mind, and want to work as much as I can being healthy and fit.
Now, I'm suppose to sell hot dogs at major events, too. Got calls already to go to them - I have no more spare time ! I need to clone myself !

I have one word for you L O S E R.