Carbon Neutral Ripoff

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I can't believe customers are falling for this ripoff. I guess UPS is making money off this gimmick. I wonder how much they are making? I bet plenty! Al Gore sure is raking it in with all his BS.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I had a pack and ship that used it. The cost was passed along to the customer. It's kind of funny when you see the wasted miles as well as reams of wasted paper every day.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I can't believe customers are falling for this ripoff. I guess UPS is making money off this gimmick. I wonder how much they are making? I bet plenty! Al Gore sure is raking it in with all his BS.

It is a voluntary program and my thoughts is it is a bunch of hooey.

I don't think UPS makes much or anything on it ... UPS has to do all kinds of programming, maintenance, certification and participation to be certified.

As you can imagine, not that much participation.

​I think it is more of a PR thing than any money maker or actual impact on the environment.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It is a voluntary program and my thoughts is it is a bunch of hooey.

I don't think UPS makes much or anything on it ... UPS has to do all kinds of programming, maintenance, certification and participation to be certified.

As you can imagine, not that much participation.

​I think it is more of a PR thing than any money maker or actual impact on the environment.

Much like most green initiatives at any company.

worldwide

Since UPS is purchasing carbon offsets with the fees from this service to balance out the the CO2 impact from the emissions of the trucks and airplanes, it is not making any money. This service was developed because customers asked UPS to develop a carbon offset option - not all customers will take advantage of it, but many are. There is clearly a market demand as DHL and FedEx now have similar options available to their customers.

The option costs an additional $0.05 per ground package and $0.20 per air package so it's hardly a major impact in the cost of shipping.

You could always learn more about the option since it appears you don't know anyting about it:

Reduce carbon footprint: UPS

It's the hat wearing chihuahua in the dog and pony show.

"Msg sent from a 12 year old tractor that dumps clouds of diesel soot at anything more than lite throttle. Green, yea sure"

raceanoncr

Don't know what this is as to pertaining to UPS but it reminds me of one of my last rides (which, BTW, was only a month from retiring and they KNEW that but had to get it in anyway. Another waste of time and money).

Ride was uneventful because supe knew I didn't care and wasn't going to be there any longer. Was upstairs, about ready to go over the whole ride (just a formality, a very well paid formality, BTW) when another desk supe, happily, runs over and announces, "UPS is going GREEN!". Me: "You mean you're painting all the trucks GREEN?" No, it wasn't that. It was United Way time also and the groovy presentation was on 'puter. NO PAPER! I was so excited. Groaned thru that, ride-supe drags out about 10 pages of stuff to go over about ride!

Now, I remember when first hired and had rides (we used to have about 3 a yr, right?), there was ONE paper to go over and sign (if you did that).

NOW, thirty years later, UPS is going GREEN and there's 9 MORE pages to go over? Been retired 3 yrs now. Probably MORE papers to sign, right?

Tell me again, how UPS is going GREEN!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Don't know what this is as to pertaining to UPS but it reminds me of one of my last rides (which, BTW, was only a month from retiring and they KNEW that but had to get it in anyway. Another waste of time and money).

Ride was uneventful because supe knew I didn't care and wasn't going to be there any longer. Was upstairs, about ready to go over the whole ride (just a formality, a very well paid formality, BTW) when another desk supe, happily, runs over and announces, "UPS is going GREEN!". Me: "You mean you're painting all the trucks GREEN?" No, it wasn't that. It was United Way time also and the groovy presentation was on 'puter. NO PAPER! I was so excited. Groaned thru that, ride-supe drags out about 10 pages of stuff to go over about ride!

Now, I remember when first hired and had rides (we used to have about 3 a yr, right?), there was ONE paper to go over and sign (if you did that).

NOW, thirty years later, UPS is going GREEN and there's 9 MORE pages to go over? Been retired 3 yrs now. Probably MORE papers to sign, right?

Tell me again, how UPS is going GREEN!

UPS started using green paper last year ... and it is 80% recycled paper as well.

texan

Sounds like a 444e. Excess oil in the intake being consumed. Disconnecting the battery probably won't stop it. The air intake needs to be blocked off. Pull the filter element out and stuff the nearest basketball inside. Eventually everything green turns brown.

A basketball is wise.

I have seen people use rags, and guess what? whoop sucked down in a nano second.

bbsam

Staff member
Sounds like a 444e. Excess oil in the intake being consumed. Disconnecting the battery probably won't stop it. The air intake needs to be blocked off. Pull the filter element out and stuff the nearest basketball inside. Eventually everything green turns brown.

that's white smoke, isn't it? To me, that means raw fuel not oil.