Carrying a Knife

Marne Vet

I wouldn't advise carrying a knife. Any knife. We had a driver a few years ago get into a fight right after work, and he used his knife on the guy killing him. Went to jail for 6 years, and lost his job. Leave the knife at home. Stuff happens in the heat of the moment. If it's not there to use, it's not there to lose your job over.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Back in the dark ages of using paper, one needed a knife for COD tags.

(BTW, I never go anywhere without a small pocketknife. Usually a little Gerber lockback.)

UPSGUY72

Is there anything in the contract about carrying a knife on the job as long as it meets all the legal requirements?

IF you want to carry a pocket knife I don't see a problem if your talking about carrying a knife for protection I would advise you not to. First in for most you don't bring knife to a gun fight.

If your get held up let them have what ever they want there is nothing in that package car or in your wallet that is worth getting killed over.

BigBrown609

I ask because two weeks ago I was robbed at gun point on the job and last week was involved in a bank robbery on the job. I realize a knife wouldn't have done me any good in either situation but they keep sending me into terrible neighborhoods at night and I want to have something in case I get attacked.

Marne Vet

I ask because two weeks ago I was robbed at gun point on the job and last week was involved in a bank robbery on the job. I realize a knife wouldn't have done me any good in either situation but they keep sending me into terrible neighborhoods at night and I want to have something in case I get attacked.

What are you gonna do with a knife when a gun is pulled on you? I taught self defense as an MP, and guy, taking a knife to a gun fight is the fastest way to have a family party in your late honor. Don't even consider it! Second, if you use a knife to defend yourself you WILL lose your job. Point blank, that's a fact. We just had a guy fired the first week of Peak for "defending" himself against a mob that went after him Long story, not gonna get into the details, but he used "something" to defend himself but that "something" was on the Ban List. Automatically arrested and sent to jail. Use a knife, and you're going to jail.

BigBrown609

Ok, that's what I wanted to know, if there was some kind of ban list I wasn't aware of. And I realize the knife to a gun fight thing, that's why I said it would've been useless with those previous two incidents. The cop that responded to me getting held up said it was too bad I didn't have a knife and I could've stabbed the guy. He was serious. I have a wife and two kids though, I'm not trying to be a hero unless I'm actually attacked.

Marne Vet

Ok, that's what I wanted to know, if there was some kind of ban list I wasn't aware of. And I realize the knife to a gun fight thing, that's why I said it would've been useless with those previous two incidents. The cop that responded to me getting held up said it was too bad I didn't have a knife and I could've stabbed the guy. He was serious. I have a wife and two kids though, I'm not trying to be a hero unless I'm actually attacked.

I hear ya. When I got into my altercation at work some years back when two d-bags tried to steal a package, I reacted on instinct, and not what I should've done. I could've been killed if they were armed. We literally just had a guy fired that thought bringing "something" to work with him to defend himself, because he knew something was coming, was a good idea. The police locked him up at the scene of the fight. If he had used his hands to defend himself in the fight, he wouldn't have been arrested, and he would still have his job. He still has to go to panel, but at this point I highly doubt he's getting his job back. Also sounds like the cop that responded to your incident was an idiot. You pull a knife on a guy holding a gun and they're bagging your body. Just give them your keys and tell them all the good stuff is in the truck. Let the a-holes take the whole thing. Be safe!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Leave the knife at home !!

Talk to your steward and business agent IMMEDIATELY !!! If they don't know already, they can force UPS to deliver that area only during sunlight hours or in extreme cases, any low income housing units with a bad history can be postcarded.
SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY
They preach it to us SO START FORCING THE ISSUE

wayfair

swollen member
We just had a guy fired the first week of Peak for "defending" himself against a mob that went after him Long story, not gonna get into the details, but he used "something" to defend himself but that "something" was on the Ban List. Automatically arrested and sent to jail. Use a knife, and you're going to jail.

link please

wayfair

swollen member
Link for what? This didn't make the News, and I wouldn't "link" a story here to something that happened to a driver I know. I still hope he gets his job back, but using the banned item that he did, he probably won't.

it's for information... it helps, ya know.... I know a driver that carries mace because he's been bitten 7 times...

Marne Vet

it's for information... it helps, ya know.... I know a driver that carries mace because he's been bitten 7 times...

I understand, but since I discuss a lot of things that irk me about the company, sometimes the stuff that happens in my own center, I won't risk giving up info that puts me in the building or center in-which I work. Plus, this guy is a good driver. Had a lot of "personal" stuff happening on the outside that came to his area and found him. Can't really elaborate more on it without the possibility of exposing who it was, and where it happened. The item he used was "banned", not by UPS, but the State we work in. If you get caught using this solid item on someone you go to jail. Use a fist, OK, use this "thing", and right to jail. We should know by February if he's coming back or if the company is standing firm on his discharge.

Mace will get you fired if you use it on someone even if it's for defense. We're not allowed to carry it.