Carwash

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
How often does your truck get washed? I'm a new driver coming up on a month and last night was the first time it had ever been washed since I started driving. Do you clean your own side window/mirrors? I've been having a rough time seeing out my driver side window & mirror and I've never seen anyone else spend any time cleaning their own window/mirror but just wondering if anyone does or just sucks it up.

So far the only thing I've cleaned is my rear camera lens. I've had to wipe the camera every couple of hours with my gloves for the last few days with the crappy weather.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our cars are washed at least once a week. I will rinse off the windshield, front of the pkg car and the floor of the cab area as needed. I think I wiped off the camera lens at least 6 times today.

barnyard

KTM rider
I wash my windshield, side windows and mirrors whenever it needs it when I am fueling. As part of your DOT inspection, you are responsible for those items. I guarantee if you hit something and blame it on a dirty window, dirty side window or dirty mirror, you will get a warming letter at a minimum.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When I had my own route I would give the whole cab a thorough cleaning once a week. Depending on the weather some weeks I would wash the outside every morning.

Now that I'm back to cover its amazing how disgusting some guys let their trucks get.

U

uber

Our cars are washed at least once a week. I will rinse off the windshield, front of the pkg car and the floor of the cab area as needed. I think I wiped off the camera lens at least 6 times today.

You have the time to clean off your camera lens 6 times in a day? Your numbers must suck.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

When I started, back in the dark ages, our cars were washed every night. If they weren't, there was h*ll to pay for the car washers.

Now, with I believe 20 hours allotted for 40-50ish cars every day, I'm lucky if mine gets washed once every two months.

I will not do it myself until carwash comes out and helps me deliver.

barnyard

KTM rider
When I had my own route I would give the whole cab a thorough cleaning once a week. Depending on the weather some weeks I would wash the outside every morning.

Now that I'm back to cover its amazing how disgusting some guys let their trucks get.

I do not have my own route, but when I am on a route for an extended time, I do the same. I was on a route late last summer and I tried washing out the back. There was so much dust in the corners, it turned to mud and I had to get a shovel to scoop it out. Once it was clean, a quick wash on Friday was enough to keep it that way. It seems to keep the cab cleaner if the cargo compartment is a little cleaner.

If the truck was really dirty on Friday, I would spell out my name on both sides with the washer thingy after I was done with the inside. 9 times out of 10, it would still be there on Monday.

The thing that irritates me the most is covering a route long enough to have some vacation, come back I can tell what the cover had for lunch every day by all the crap in the back.

rod

Retired 22 years
In the "old days" our trucks were washed every night. Everyone of them. Even if they weren't dirty. I always took an extra 15-20 minutes once a week or so to sweep and hose out the inside of the truck. Yes, management would complain but I refused to work in a pig pen. Before I would leave in the morning I would use window cleaner and paper towels on my windows and mirrors-- if they needed it. Other than the public viewing UPS as just another sleezebag delivery company with filthy trucks there probably isn't anything that can be done about the outside appearance but dirty windows and mirrors are a safety issue. If they bitch about you taking time to clean them tell them you want it in writing why it is ok for you to operate a vehical in this condition.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We used to hose out the insides of the trucks. Mechanics in my hub said they no longer do it because of all the telematics wiring throughout the vehicles.

Buck Fifty

How often does your truck get washed? I'm a new driver coming up on a month and last night was the first time it had ever been washed since I started driving. Do you clean your own side window/mirrors? I've been having a rough time seeing out my driver side window & mirror and I've never seen anyone else spend any time cleaning their own window/mirror but just wondering if anyone does or just sucks it up.

So far the only thing I've cleaned is my rear camera lens. I've had to wipe the camera every couple of hours with my gloves for the last few days with the crappy weather.

What ever you decide to do, make sure your on the clock getting paid. I wipe the dash down and will do the inside of the windows as needed. Some more of the easiest money I make.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When I started, back in the dark ages, our cars were washed every night. If they weren't, there was h*ll to pay for the car washers.

Now, with I believe 20 hours allotted for 40-50ish cars every day, I'm lucky if mine gets washed once every two months.

I will not do it myself until carwash comes out and helps me deliver.

i hate washing my cars at home. At time and a half at work is a whole nother story.

UPSER110

We had a few guys at peak wash their cars in the morning saying there wasnt 360 degrees of visibility.. hard to see the reflective tape when its covered in mud and salt.. plus it is unsafe when the windows are filthy

Indecisi0n

We had a few guys at peak wash their cars in the morning saying there wasnt 360 degrees of visibility.. hard to see the reflective tape when its covered in mud and salt.. plus it is unsafe when the windows are filthy
I am a cover and do the same thing. No one cleans are windows so when I get in a dirty ass truck before I leave everyday I hit the car wash. Doesn't matter if it causes late air or not its a safety issue.