Casual driver sent home 2-3 days a week

I'm really hoping someone can help.
I was hired as a Fulltime casual/temporary/seasonalpackage delivery driver back in late May. I did my 3 days of classroom training, followed by 2 days on the road training ending on a Friday.
The following Monday I got a call saying I had the entire week off, and that this was normal. Ok fine. The next week I worked on my own for all 5 work days.
I have not worked a full 5 day week since. I show up every morning by 815, go through WOW, and the. Told I "can have the day". This happens 2-4 times a week, every week, for the past 2 months.
My question is pretty simple. Is this normal, if not what recourse do I have?
I've been trained on only one route, and have not been told anything about making book.
Help please

Box Ox

Completely normal. At some locations, even the lowest cover guys on the permanent full timer seniority ladder are on layoff a few times a week. Temp drivers aren't even touched. You're lucky you're even getting to drive. But it sounds like you expected what HR probably made the gig sound like: a full time job.

All you're entitled to is an 8 hour guarantee on days you're sent out. That 5 days you worked was probably just a vacation heavy week.

ManInBrown

You're in the arsenal for peak. It's normal. You will work at peak. They wanted to see if you could handle the job. Thats why they worked you that full week. You either suck and they aren't saying, or they know you can do it and you will be used at peak

mrbrownstone

It is definitely normal for this time of year. I don’t have have senority yet because I am waiting for a position but I'm not a new driver either.

I go home usually 2 days a week but the route I'm on can be such a pain in the rear I don't mind.

In my center have seen guys with 3/4 years senority go home a couple of days week depending on vacations, call-outs etc.

I used to worry but have since learned to enjoy it because once you learn enough routes at least in my center you don't get to go home much.

Obviously, every center is different so ask other drivers what is normal in your center. Driver's in my center told me there could be times I only work once a week until I get senority. Fortunately, I haven't had that happen yet.

If you hang around on here enough and stay working at UPS you will learn that they tell you one thing then do another. They will act like you will work a ton then before you know it your aren't working as much as you would like. Or they will act like they want you to work by the book then tell you to fudge things so their numbers look good. It's the reality of UPS.

Just keep one last thing on mind. Look at it as doing your time. Most likely many guys in your center went through what you are going through before they either had enough senority to get their own route or learn several routes.

Box Ox

And I don't think off street seasonals make book. That's more a thing for permanent part timers who have the seniority/availability to run a route for at least 6 weeks. Makes them "fully qualified" to do air exception work as needed and skip the probationary period if/when they go full time.

If you want any real guarantees the only typical way is to become a part time permanent employee and work your way up the seniority ladder. Or get lucky as hell as an outside hire in the outside hire ratio. But from what I've seen, those slots typically go to favored PT sups who want to drive.

Gotcha. The nature of the beast. I don't like it one bit. If you're hired as Fulltime, you should work Fulltime. I understand seniority and all that, but if you cannot provide the hours for Fulltime, then call it what it is. Part time, or per diem. So you don't waste people's time. Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated

PT Car Washer

Gotcha. The nature of the beast. I don't like it one bit. If you're hired as Fulltime, you should work Fulltime. I understand seniority and all that, but if you cannot provide the hours for Fulltime, then call it what it is. Part time, or per diem. So you don't waste people's time. Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated
If UPS told you the truth nobody would want the job. You will work when nobody else is available until the end of the season.

Probably not. Was told again today I wasn't needed. Left, wrote a lengthy resignation later to HR, stating the reasons, and expressing my frustrations. They in turn passed it along to the center manager who called me just about an hour ago(9pm on a Friday) and asked for a second chance and a meeting Monday. I'll hear him out but not a strong chance I'll return

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
Probably not. Was told again today I wasn't needed. Left, wrote a lengthy resignation later to HR, stating the reasons, and expressing my frustrations. They in turn passed it along to the center manager who called me just about an hour ago(9pm on a Friday) and asked for a second chance and a meeting Monday. I'll hear him out but not a strong chance I'll return
Did you sign the resignation letter, "Sweet William"?

ManInBrown

Better then even money you return

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Didn't read all the responses. My question to you would be what are your other options, do you have a degree? How old are you. It sounds like you have a backup plan, I stay stick to your guns , tell them to kiss off , and move on with your life to a better, more stable, sane job, before you dedicate decades of your life to this place then realize what a mistake it was. Move on. Don't look back.

PT Car Washer

Bet he offers you a permanent PT job after the season (Labor Day) is over. Then an opportunity to work Christmas Season driving and back to PT in January. You must be a rock star to be given this opportunity. Sorry, jobs are awarded by seniority.