Casual Handler

boxndocPST

Hey everybody, new to the forum. I was hired as a “casual” part time handler back in mid November at FedEx Express. I’ve been working Mon-Fri ever since. I come in for the PM shift to load up the air containers for 3-4 hours and do other warehouse work. Casual is a temporary position correct? I’ve been getting mixed responses from management and co workers. I was told that my station does not hire PT handlers because it’s a smaller building and that only courier positions are open. I have another job and working as a FT courier is out of the question. What exactly is a “casual” handler. Should I start looking for another job?

Also on a side note, I thank all the couriers/drivers for working hard driving during these times. 👍🏻

falcon back

Hey everybody, new to the forum. I was hired as a “casual” part time handler back in mid November at FedEx Express. I’ve been working Mon-Fri ever since. I come in for the PM shift to load up the air containers for 3-4 hours and do other warehouse work. Casual is a temporary position correct? I’ve been getting mixed responses from management and co workers. I was told that my station does not hire PT handlers because it’s a smaller building and that only courier positions are open. I have another job and working as a FT courier is out of the question. What exactly is a “casual” handler. Should I start looking for another job?

Also on a side note, I thank all the couriers/drivers for working hard driving during these times. 👍🏻
You need to ask your manager. Only they know for sure if PT handlers are in the future. You won't get any answers on here from anyone that knows the correct answer. Just get ready for all the negative answers from people that hate life in general.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

A casual handler is hired on an “as needed” basis. Meaning, if FedEx needs you, they’ll work you. If they don’t, they won’t. That said, they’re obviously using the casual handler to avoid having to hire a permanent handler because they’d have to pay benefits.

Every station has different needs. My station is getting ready to hire 5 permanent handlers because we can’t keep them. If you’re fine working on an as needed basis without benefits, stick around and see if anything changes. If not, quit.