Casuals and unemployment

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do casuals get unemployment if they work for a certain period of time and are laid off ?

Are you talking about a casual driver who does not have seniority or their own route? If so, they are not technically laid off but rather are simply not scheduled. Here in NY, casuals who work two or fewer days in a week qualify for unemployment. This answer is based on my experience as a casual in 1989/90 so the policy may have changed.

The best thing to do is to show up to work everyday ready to go and let some of the senior guys see your face--9 times out of 10 someone will take the day off.

Indecisi0n

I didn't mean for days not worked. Say a casual works for 3-4 months then they no longer need him like after Xmas help. Would I be able to file in Jan when/if they don't call me back?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I didn't mean for days not worked. Say a casual works for 3-4 months then they no longer need him like after Xmas help. Would I be able to file in Jan when/if they don't call me back?

You are now talking about seasonal drivers, not casuals. I am not sure how unemployment would work with seasonal drivers.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
When it happens it doesnt hurt to file it. As long as you have 6 months employment between two jobs it's worth a shot.

Why not just get a new job? Couldn't hurt to look. Its worth a shot. How hard is it to find a job making what a temporary helper makes? Seems a little odd to be planning for unemployment benefits next January.

Indecisi0n

Why not just get a new job? Couldn't hurt to look. Its worth a shot. How hard is it to find a job making what a temporary helper makes? Seems a little odd to be planning for unemployment benefits next January.

If you haven't been without a job in the last year then you have no clue how hard it is finding a job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There aren't. And again if you haven't been unemployed then your comment means nothing to me.

I took a moment to peruse the "Help Wanted" section will waited for your expected response. There are 14 openings for CDL Class A drivers, two management positions, an opening for an experienced painter, openings for room cleaners at a couple of local hotels, FT and substitute teachers, waitstaff and a hairstylist.

I'm sorry my comments don't meet your expectations.

Indecisi0n

I took a moment to peruse the "Help Wanted" section will waited for your expected response. There are 14 openings for CDL Class A drivers, two management positions, an opening for an experienced painter, openings for room cleaners at a couple of local hotels, FT and substitute teachers, waitstaff and a hairstylist.

I'm sorry my comments don't meet your expectations.

Oh because the listing is in the paper its a guaranteed job. I didn't know that. Thank you so so much NY.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was a casual when I first started in 1989/90. I worked midnight-4am stocking shelves at a grocery store. I also worked at an auto parts store making deliveries on the days when I wasn't at UPS. My boss there knew UPS was first and worked around my schedule.

The best thing to do, if you can, is find a job that pays under the table, such as construction or landscaping, and is willing to work around your schedule.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Oh because the listing is in the paper its a guaranteed job. I didn't know that. Thank you so so much NY.

I don't know what your problem is, other than you are a member of Generation Me who wants to sit on their butts and have everything handed to them.

There are jobs out there--you just have to get off your ass and find one.

menotyou

bella amicizia
In our supplement, if you are not scheduled for two or more days in that particular week, you must be available for the sort you were hired for, preload, metro, or twilight. There by eliminating UPS' involvement in unemployment. Why do you feel the need to suck on the system instead of getting off your arse and work? Take a job, slug.

Indecisi0n

I was a casual when I first started in 1989/90. I worked midnight-4am stocking shelves at a grocery store. I also worked at an auto parts store making deliveries on the days when I wasn't at UPS. My boss there knew UPS was first and worked around my schedule.

The best thing to do, if you can, is find a job that pays under the table, such as construction or landscaping, and is willing to work around your schedule.

I've done many odd jobs so I am no stranger to work but my earlier point being: Just because you see a ton of listings doesn't mean anything. I have a college degree and have worked for a two fortune 500 companies in the past. I think when people saw what i made before they figured i wouldn't even want to job. It was like pulling teeth just to get a call back. You don't know how rough it is until your in the situation.

Sit on my butt and do nothing ? You have me all wrong guys. I work my @$$ off. Unemployment would be just in case there is down time between me being let go and finding another job. I wouldn't leech off the system. I don't understand who would since the money is crap anyway.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I've done many odd jobs so I am no stranger to work but my earlier point being: Just because you see a ton of listings doesn't mean anything. I have a college degree and have worked for a two fortune 500 companies in the past. I think when people saw what i made before they figured i wouldn't even want to job. It was like pulling teeth just to get a call back. You don't know how rough it is until your in the situation.

You don't know what tough is to you are in MY position! Try being on comp. If you are like me and can't sit still, it is an insanity maker!! You CAN'T work. I wish I could bag groceries, or better yet, go back to my truck. Quit whining!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You're right--when I left the military without a job waiting for me, after having sent out resumes for 6 months with not so much as a form letter in response, I have no idea how tough it is.

I also have a college degree--that plus $1 will get me a coffee at McDonald's.

You will run in to the "you are overqualifed" time and time agaiin--you simply need to tell a potential employer that you are willing to accept anything at this point. It's just a job--not your career.

You may also try a temp agency.