Casuals Driving Their Own Cars

MassWineGuy

Hey folks. I seen a couple of UPS delivery people using their own cars. How does this work in terms of insurance? What do they get paid? Much less?

nWo

Some locals have seasonal employees paying initiation fees and dues. Some locals only charge dues. Idk ask your BA. If you are in a RTW state i'd imagine a rather small percentage of seasonal employees are paying dues.

nWo

The 56 cents a mile is what the IRS says the cost of using your own vehicle for business is.

Karma...

make sure they have the DOT placard visible on their car converting their personal car to a temporary commercial delivery vehicle........also ensure that their own insurance company is aware of this.......

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
make sure they have the DOT placard visible on their car converting their personal car to a temporary commercial delivery vehicle........also ensure that their own insurance company is aware of this.......
I checked this insurance issue out thoroughly. Between my normal insurance and the POLICY UPS provided I'm good. Good as can be in a country full of sue happies.

Karma...

I knew a case where a driver was using his own car, got into a minor avoidable accident and ups wouldn't pay and the persons insurance company wouldn't pay meaning the company and insurance company pointed at each other to pay.....since the accident was termed avoidable ( no surprise ) the accident counted against his C.O.H. years......The driver position was since he was paying it shouldn't be counted against his C.O.H driving record .........The union did a good countenance but not good enough.....Its no wonder why accidents are hidden and drivers will take the chance.......Too bad..many great drivers have run afoul. of situations like this one and other similar ones.....

quad decade guy

I knew a case where a driver was using his own car, got into a minor avoidable accident and ups wouldn't pay and the persons insurance company wouldn't pay meaning the company and insurance company pointed at each other to pay.....since the accident was termed avoidable ( no surprise ) the accident counted against his C.O.H. years......The driver position was since he was paying it shouldn't be counted against his C.O.H driving record .........The union did a good countenance but not good enough.....Its no wonder why accidents are hidden and drivers will take the chance.......Too bad..many great drivers have run afoul. of situations like this one and other similar ones.....
Using his own car for what exactly? Why was he doing this?

Was he a Circle of Honor?

MassWineGuy

I was just curious. When I was a seasonal driver one peak, I had to pay initiation and dues. Since I wasn’t eligible for any contract benefits, this really sucked.

In my area UPS is paying $21/hour for personal vehicle deliveries. Almost $5 less than what I make at FedEx, though your benefits are light years better.

nWo

PVDs are seasonal positions though. Most of them are done. Some of them might work until Jan 15th. And they wouldn't have any benefits.

Big Babooba

Not too bad. Are they union, then? And does the company cover insurance

Some locals have seasonal employees paying initiation fees and dues. Some locals only charge dues. Idk ask your BA. If you are in a RTW state i'd imagine a rather small percentage of seasonal employees are paying dues.
Our local does PLUS the company has to contribute to the pension as well as the Health & Welfare fund for each hour worked.