BeachBoy

Center and helper question. Five hours in the center, followed by 6 hours on a package car.
HR is claiming they are two different jobs, therefore no OT..
They show up on the same paycheck though.
Any thoughts, ideas, arguments before I file a grievance?
Thanks in advance for any real thoughts…

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Center and helper question. Five hours in the center, followed by 6 hours on a package car.
HR is right.

This comes up every year

MynameisNeigan

In my area anything over 5 hours in the same shift is OT. If doubling or working driver helper time restarts but any work in the same day over 8 hours is OT
. As per your time it would be 3 hours OT for that day, even for seasonal employees

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Management should be more upfront about this when asking for takers, that way expectations match reality. But ultimately It is up to you to find out. I was paid seasonal rates instead of my inside rate once. I had to take time out of my day job to do it, so I stopped helping once I found out.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?

Check with your steward, if they don’t have an answer and they may not due to changing classification midday, call your union hall and talk to a BA. It is more than likely a topic covered in your supplement. Chances are you’re SOL. The other thing to check is state law. For instance here anything over 40, in a week, is OT per state law. Most states have a labor department you can contact with questions like this.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Five plus six equals eleven unless you went to a liberal public school. That not withstanding, three hours of that job are overtime hours.

Same company, hours at each job does not matter.

BeachBoy

I spoke with my Union steward, he agrees. A bit of research on state law also back me up.
I talked with every employee I know that is working in the center and on a package car and we are all filing grievances on Monday.
I will update with a resolution, hopefully it can help others with the same issues.