Center location dilemma

Sky777

Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of a dilemma in choosing which center to apply for (Handler position).

Currently, there's one center with openings, that is just over 20 miles from home (40 mins). From what I hear from a fellow forum member, the current wait time to become a driver is around two years.

Now, there's a much smaller center that is also much closer to home (10 mins). I asked my regular UPS driver how long it typically takes to be able to become a driver there, and he said it could take several years (took him two, but that was probably a decade ago). Although, he did mention that they hired almost a dozen FT drivers in the past two years.

I understand that anything can change and the two-year time to become a driver may turn into 5+ at any time.

I realize that ultimately, this decision falls solely on my shoulders. But, if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I'd love to hear them. :-)

clean hairy

Just based on the economics alone, the one closer to home means you put less of your check in your gas tank and have more $ for you.

UPSGUY72

Do you know if the two center fall under the same seniority list ? I would find that out so ask a driver in one of those building if they are allowed to bid into the other building. If so it doesn't matter what building you start in you can always bid back to the other building.

In my area there are 3 building all under the same seniority list when a position goes out to bid anyone in any of the building can bid on it.