Center Managers

rod

Retired 22 years
Yep for 1 1/2 years Sept 77 - Feb 78. Best job I ever had at UPS.
Lots of whiny drivers back then ... some things never change ... I still whine today except I hide it behind a facade of sarcasm and cynicism. :wink2:

So why give up being a driver if you liked it?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So why give up being a driver if you liked it?

Money and for 25 years that was the case and to some extent, still is.

As is typical, one has to look back over the years to determine which job one liked best.

I never hated any job I ever had but the one I liked least was working in the Region office.
The job I have now is a very good, intresting job but the commute is brutal.

ol'browneye

I understand they are just doing their job, but is lying to drivers and not following through on things part of the job? Don't tell me what you think I want to hear, just tell me how it is!

Our center manager just fired a driver for not delivering everything that was in EDD even though he never had those stops on his truck! He even called in those stops to the on-car and gave her the tracking #'s telling her they were never on his truck. It was a split that never made it to his car.
But I guess when you have a division manager out to make a name for himself and once said "I think every driver should be fired at least once", you better do what he says! After all, I guess management can get fired for failure to follow instructions too, no matter how asinine the instructions are.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Did you guys ever think how much pressure management is under? In my previous life, I was a retail manager and had to get out. I was tired of all the crap. My life mentally has been leaps and bounds better since becoming a driver. Not even close. Yes management sucks sometimes, but give them a little break. Think about all the whiny drivers. Trust me, we are not the easiest to deal with. I always said, I would rather be a manager at a retail store managing teenagers than most of our drivers. To me, most of the stupidity in this company comes from much higher. I know some sups that have apologized to me after they quit, saying they were just doing their job

Is a managers job to do what the higher ups tell them? Or is it to manage his people? Unfortunately UPS forces their managers to do things no one likes. That doesn't mean that the manager has to take out their aggression on their drivers. I couldn't think of a faster or dumber way make my job harder. Do what you have to do. Do the hard things you're told to do. Take it out on your supes and OMS's. Have a counselor on speed dial. Don't take it out on the people who have direct control over your raises and bonuses (if they ever come back.) We have 2 fantastic Center Managers in Spokane. We have 1 most people don't care for. The one no one likes has terrible numbers, high blood pressure, and two heart episodes. The other two have better numbers, but still have the blood pressure and I'm sure the heart episodes are still coming. Drivers go further for the manager that doesn't arse hole them because they're stressed from their job. I don't know why you'd make your job harder.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Yep for 1 1/2 years Sept 77 - Feb 78. Best job I ever had at UPS.
Lots of whiny drivers back then ... some things never change ... I still whine today except I hide it behind a facade of sarcasm and cynicism. :wink2:
lol old man,, that was when ups management was a creative force,, long before the IE push ruined us and our profits... thanks Mr Davis!!!!!

Bad Gas!

1)
Maybe the center manager has Bad Gas...I've had it before and it's not pleasant..uh..for anybody who is around...LOL

2)How many times a week do sup's and center manager's get their job threatened?...Probably often in our building...Our DM is a real charmer...

randomUPSISer

lol old man,, that was when ups management was a creative force,, long before the IE push ruined us and our profits... thanks Mr Davis!!!!!

Between that and the CONSTANT UNENDING cost cutting Id say that guy has about failed at everything he has done since taking on CEO.

Even worse, the guy apparently doesnt realize that UNHAPPY WORKERS ARE NOT GOOD WORKERS. You cant **** all over your people and then expect them to go above and beyond whats being asked of them.

Seriously.... how much longer is that :censored2: going to be leading the company? :sad-very:

purplesky

I understand they are just doing their job, but is lying to drivers and not following through on things part of the job? Don't tell me what you think I want to hear, just tell me how it is!

Our center manager just fired a driver for not delivering everything that was in EDD even though he never had those stops on his truck! He even called in those stops to the on-car and gave her the tracking #'s telling her they were never on his truck. It was a split that never made it to his car.
But I guess when you have a division manager out to make a name for himself and once said "I think every driver should be fired at least once", you better do what he says! After all, I guess management can get fired for failure to follow instructions too, no matter how asinine the instructions are.

What was the reason given for firing a driver that called in stops that were in EDD but not on car? Thats happens in the thousands nationwide so why is this driver being singled out?

ol'browneye

Apparently, a pkg did not get delivered. It was perishable. The customer called in a complaint to corporate and that's where it went downhill. I guess if there is a corporate complaint, somebody's head has to roll somewhere.

Driver called in said pkgs to on-car supe. That supe had the day off on the day the crap hit the fan. Management assumed that the driver was guilty, like usual, without checking out his story by talking to the on-car supe. He was fired but re-instated the next day with back pay when the truth was found.
It gets better! The day the first driver was re-instated, the same management tried to fire another driver for the same thing. That driver had to point out to them that he was off on an optional holiday on the day in question!
How do some of these people sleep at night!

brownrodster

It gets better! The day the first driver was re-instated, the same management tried to fire another driver for the same thing. That driver had to point out to them that he was off on an optional holiday on the day in question!
How do some of these people sleep at night!

Unless asked the proper questions I would not have willingly told management I was out on an optional day. LOL. I'd take the firing and let the fact that I was on an optional that day pop up eventually and just enjoy my paid vacation.