Centers adding Saturday delivery

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So I don’t know if it’s nationwide or regional or local but seems Saturday delivery is in the plan for most centers by me by end of summer.

What I’m wondering is how the “18 months after ratification” is being interpreted around the country?

Here we are being told it is 18 months after the center starts Saturday delivery. So essentially the bottom 25% of our RPCD are being told they’ll be moving to a tues-sat schedule. Some of these guys have 5+ years seniority and suddenly are being told they will be moved to tues-sat.

The way the contract reads is that all RPCD should stay on a M-friend schedule and any Saturday work would be offer from the top force from the bottom.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
9A6601D8-080B-4E17-BBD9-682BD5EF0692.jpeg

Mst3k

work as directed, file 8 hour requests on Saturday. File 9.5 grievances, contract violation grievances, article 37 grievances, supervisor working grievances. Just bury them in grievances

I think the company has the right to work you Tuesday to Saturday if they wish. However since they are out of the 18 to 24 month window that the contract afforded them, I believe that they have to pay you premium pay for Saturday and they may owe you Monday pay since that is your contractual work day.

Last edited:

Whither

Scofflaw
What I’m wondering is how the “18 months after ratification” is being interpreted around the country?

Here we are being told it is 18 months after the center starts Saturday delivery. So essentially the bottom 25% of our RPCD are being told they’ll be moving to a tues-sat schedule.
We've had Sat ground delivery for more than 2 years now. 'Due to Covid' my local agreed to extend the company's 18 and 24 month (the latter for RPCDs hired into T-S, and presumably 22.4s who became RPCDs) windows. The extension for the 24 month window ends at the end of this month. The BA actually has kept pressure on the center manager, and there's only a few RPCDs still working Sat. Of course they've still just been trying to force M-friend drivers in on Sat and coding call-ins as occurrences.

Who is saying the 18 month window begins once Sat ground begins? Just the company or also your local?

Brownslave688

We've had Sat ground delivery for more than 2 years now. 'Due to Covid' my local agreed to extend the company's 18 and 24 month (the latter for RPCDs hired into T-S, and presumably 22.4s who became RPCDs) windows. The extension for the 24 month window ends at the end of this month. The BA actually has kept pressure on the center manager, and there's only a few RPCDs still working Sat. Of course they've still just been trying to force M-friend drivers in on Sat and coding call-ins as occurrences.

Who is saying the 18 month window begins once Sat ground begins? Just the company or also your local?

BA says that’s what labor says. He also says he doesn’t agree with that interpretation of the language. I said well if he doesn’t agree let’s file on it.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

On some Saturdays my center has so many OT hungry RPCDs come in that the 22.4s barely get 8.5 hours. Then they use that to try to guilt us into coming in on Monday...

iruhnman630

In our building anybody who calls in during the week can be forced in on Saturday, on less than 24 hours notice.

We seem to be the exception as most locals see M-friend schedules as being just that

Brownslave688

In our building anybody who calls in during the week can be forced in on Saturday, on less than 24 hours notice.

We seem to be the exception as most locals see M-friend schedules as being just that
Yeah they used to try that here for stuff like sat air until a high seniority steward filed a grievance for not being offered extra work and got paid a pretty penny.

charm299

They can hire 22.4s for that.
Our first 22.4’s were hired into m-friend in January and now ups is refusing to hire more 22.4’s. They have been using part timers to run Saturday ground. they fought so hard to have 22.4 drivers in contract now they refuse to hire them because they don’t want more drivers. I’m turning in my grievance this morning

Brownslave688

What supplement ?
I know we clash plenty but can you give me any insight into the intent of the 18 month language or how it’s being interpreted other places?

Local 688 Rider hasn’t been opened in decades so anything that’s happened in the central should be applicable.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I know we clash plenty

Just different perspectives. I don't take it personal.

BrownCafe would be pretty boring.... if we all agreed on everything.

but can you give me any insight into the intent of the 18 month language or how it’s being interpreted other places?

You have to look at the "clear and plain" meaning of the language.

How that's being interpreted.... is an opened ended debate. That's what the grievance procedure is for.

Union members on the National committee, would be a better source of information.

Local 688 Rider hasn’t been opened in decades so anything that’s happened in the central should be applicable.

I'm not going to touch that one.

That's a Local issue.

;)

-Bug-

542thruNthru

I know we clash plenty but can you give me any insight into the intent of the 18 month language or how it’s being interpreted other places?

Just different perspectives. I don't take it personal.

BrownCafe would be pretty boring.... if we all agreed on everything.

How that's being interpreted.... is an opened ended debate. That's what the grievance procedure is for.

Union members on the National committee, would be a better source of information.

I'm not going to touch that one.

That's a Local issue.

;)

-Bug-
I don't know how the Central/688 panels work. If they are a state or area panel or if monthly or quarterly but I would assume a grievance would be allowed to be filed for interpretation. This seems like the first thing the BA would do is file a ET AL grievance on the issue as soon as the contract has been violated. Then if need be send it to national panels.

I can't help but think something like this has already been done. If so wouldn't his BA be able to get the decision?

Brownslave688

-Bug-

But I thought that’s why they recorded the contract negotiations this time so “how it’s interpreted” would be fairly easy to verify.

Surely some has filed on this already.