Central States Retiree Insurance

dvrslim

I'm retiring on Feb.14 after 32 years as a feeder driver at UPS. I can get insurance through Central States for my wife and I. I have 3 kids at home ages 17,13,& 3. I can not put them on the Central States policy. Since the health care reform no insurance company writes a policy for children only. The only way to insure them is to put my wife or myself on a policy with them and pay about $1000 a month. I know I'm not the only one in this situtation. Has Central States ever been sued to put kids on the policy? Do you know of anything I can do? I'm drawing social security and can't make over $1180 a month. I hate to get a part time job just to pay insurance for my kids. Any help you can give me will be greatly appericated.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm retiring on Feb.14 after 32 years as a feeder driver at UPS. I can get insurance through Central States for my wife and I. I have 3 kids at home ages 17,13,& 3. I can not put them on the Central States policy. Since the health care reform no insurance company writes a policy for children only. The only way to insure them is to put my wife or myself on a policy with them and pay about $1000 a month. I know I'm not the only one in this situation. Has Central States ever been sued to put kids on the policy? Do you know of anything I can do? I'm drawing social security and can't make over $1180 a month. I hate to get a part time job just to pay insurance for my kids. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Don't retire ... darn, a 3 year old?
Seriously, everyone I know who has kids not out of college keep working.

raceanoncr

I guess that's my problem with this too. If your situation is that dire, why retire? I ain't dissing you here but if that is so much of an issue that you have to get another job just to pay for insurance, then....

dvrslim

The 3 yr. old is my Granddaughter that we adopted because the mother did not want her and my son was too young to take care of her. It wasn't something we planned.
After over 3 million miles in brown trucks my back, legs, and the rest of my body won't let me drive a truck much longer so I'm retiring while I can enjoy it.
Obama care is the reason that insurance companys don't write a policy for kids anymore.
Thanks for the advice but i think I'll retire.

klein

Für Meno :)
Option number 2:

Move out of the country. Immigrate to Canada, Europe, NZ or Aussieland, and some other 190+ countries that have national healthcare.
Your debit and credit cards still work internationally, and with direct deposit you're all set to live anywhere ! :)

P

pickup

Dvrslim(the original poster):

I got a few directions to go in, let me start with this as a foundation for some of my ideas:

If you've joined the millions of retired folks forced to seek extra income, make sure you're aware of the Social Security rules that can affect your benefits if you have outside income. Depending on your age, outside earnings can sharply reduce your current Social Security benefits. However, in a future adjustment, Social Security will later raise your benefits to restore part or perhaps all of what you lose, depending on how long you live.

Here's how it works, according to a Social Security spokeswoman. If you begin receiving Social Security benefits before what's called your "full retirement age" (that's 65 to 67 for most people) Social Security will deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 in outside wage earnings above an annual threshold, which in 2009 is $14,160. In the year you reach the full retirement age, the agency deducts $1 for every $3 you earn but only for the months before the month of your birthday. The earnings threshold, just for those months, is $37,680 in 2009. Once you've reached full retirement age, there is no reduction in Social Security benefits for outside earnings. Also at that time, if you've had your benefits reduced because of outside income, Social Security will raise them beyond what they were when you first began receiving benefits.

Okay, back to me. That statement in your original post said you can't make over 1180 a month . Well, i multiplied 1180 by 12 and got 14,160 which you see is the number quoted in my cut and paste up above. So my question is it a monthly limit of 1180 or a yearly limit of 14,160?

See i got this funny idea, if it is a yearly limit, retire, and go back as a casual for october ,nov, dec. I don't know if they hire casuals in your neck of woods, but if they do, and if the wages are what i think they are, you should be able to bang out about 14,000 grand in that time. so it is not really a part time job but a temporary one, one that you know how to do and one that they know you know how to do so you should have no problem dealing with the management unless you have a problem now. Need some overtime? and the overtime is coming down to the casuals, I am sure you can be first on line if you want.

Maybe a crazy idea . I don't know. As you see in the my "cut and paste" , once you hit full retirement age , there is no limit for outside earnings. So the question that you know the answer to is how old are you.? You don't need to tell me or anyone here but do you see? the closer you are to what 67?, the less worry you need to have about outside income eating at your social security money.

Okay, just curious, I know about no children policies since the implementation of ObamaCare , but why would an insurance company write a family policy(5 people) for 1,000 dollars and not one for 3 kids at let's say, $800?

I don't know if you got the answer for that one or not.

Anyway, think about my original idea. Thinking about it now, would the union have a problem paying the pension while you work the job? I heard a few things about working another job after retiring.

Anyway, maybe i did help you seeing the outside income limits in a different light.

I am tempted to delete this half baked cake of a post but it is already done so here you go.

moreluck

golden ticket member
When our grankids lived with us for 2 years,.....we didn't adopt them (which may make the difference), but they were covered under the state of CA. for medical. The state offered lots of things that we turned down because we weren't unable to provide for them, we just wanted the medical in case there was something catastrophic that might happen.

P

pickup

Option number 2:

Move out of the country. Immigrate to Canada, Europe, NZ or Aussieland, and some other 190+ countries that have national healthcare.
Your debit and credit cards still work internationally, and with direct deposit you're all set to live anywhere ! :)

Not a bad idea, here is a better one. Give up your u.s citizenship, move to mexico "on paper" where your pension and social security will be mailed, sneak over the border with all your other mexican country men
and enjoy free healthcare where ever there is an emergency room.

Good luck, Pedro.

dvrslim

I know all about the Social Security deal. It is $1180 a month.
Living out of the country is out of the question. I saw enough of the world when I was in the service to realize that the USA is the only place I want to live.
UPS down here does not know what casuals are. Once you are out of UPS you don't come back.

I guess my only question is why can't Central States insure my kids?

You Wrote: Okay, just curious, I know about no children policies since the implementation of ObamaCare , but why would an insurance company write a family policy(5 people) for 1,000 dollars and not one for 3 kids at let's say, $800?

I guess ObamaCare says they can't. I really don't know and I really don't understand.

klein

I was watching "bottom line" on CNN this morning, according to them, as of Jan1, 2011, every insurer MUST have your kids in the policy.

Not sure when you looked into it, but maybe try again ?

And in the near future, you can always just dump the UPS insurance, get on the subsidized obamacare plan.
But according to the new law, they should cover your children !

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was watching "bottom line" on CNN this morning, according to them, as of Jan1, 2011, every insurer MUST have your kids in the policy.

Not sure when you looked into it, but maybe try again ?

And in the near future, you can always just dump the UPS insurance, get on the subsidized obamacare plan.
But according to the new law, they should cover your children !

Klein, the OP is retiring which I have to think is why his kids won't be covered under Obamacare.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Does anyone know the size of the spiders in Australia !!! Yikes!!! Most poisonous snakes too. Wouldn't live there if you paid me.

The reason there aren't U.S. cities on that list is we keep our goodies secret. We don't let outsiders experience certain cities.....because they are the best and we're not sharing!

klein

Does anyone know the size of the spiders in Australia !!! Yikes!!! Most poisonous snakes too. Wouldn't live there if you paid me.

The reason there aren't U.S. cities on that list is we keep our goodies secret. We don't let outsiders experience certain cities.....because they are the best and we're not sharing!

See, that's what some believe about the US, too.
Crododiles in the swamps of Florida, deadly snakes in the California and Arizona desserts and so on.
But, the number 1 fear, is the crime and the shootings.It's reason #1, some people will just not travel to the US.

A lot of international TV, worldwide, also show the poor ghettos/slums in the US. And, that's scary, too.
Like, I'm not sure if I would feel 1 bit compfy, riding in a NY subway train.

P

pickup

See, that's what some believe about the US, too.
Crododiles in the swamps of Florida, deadly snakes in the California and Arizona desserts and so on.
But, the number 1 fear, is the crime and the shootings.It's reason #1, some people will just not travel to the US.

A lot of international TV, worldwide, also show the poor ghettos/slums in the US.

Yes, no other countries, such as England, Italy, France, etc. have such things.