Chance to make feeder senority on a sleeper team

ArcherUTR

Does he fart much?

I'd say do it. 3 days off in between. Seniority. Mucho casho.

Maybe take a small amount of melatonin about an hour before rack time? Or talk to other sleeper teams for advice.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I had lunch today with a sleeper team driver from Houston. He told me they had added 20 sleeper team jobs at SW in Houston in the last month or so. I believe you can gain seniority while on this job. Hopefully you can get this job. Beats on call coverage. He told me if you sign up for a sleeper job, you have to stay on it for a year before you can bid off. Good luck to you on your new endeavor. This is the building I retired from. My friend Horseshoe took one of these west coast jobs, but I think he only works like 3 days a week. If you see him, tell him crunch said hello .

HollandMan73

Think about it....All day Fri, Sat, Sun and most of Monday off! Whats not to like? You'll get used to sleeping in the berth....most truck stoo showers are real nice now....some are even free. If you get a good partner you got it made.....

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
truck-stop-women2.jpg

raceanoncr

Was on sleeper for 5 yrs, here. Now, again, notice when I'm writing, I'm writing about what happened HERE. It may not apply to every district, center, hub.

"A" driver picks his/her partner, now known as the "B" driver. If you do not have feeder seniority but are IN feeders and just covering, if "A" driver picks you and you ACCEPT, you now gain seniority. Yes, it's happened here. Some even coming off the street, as "A" drivers friend. Yes, again, it HAS happened here. Nobody wanted it, "A" driver wanted it so Company agreed to take on off-street "B".

If NOBODY wants sleepers, which never happened here, they can FORCE bottom drivers to go, whether you want it or not. Yes, it's happened.

Yes, you DO have to stay a year, at least til next bid. NOTHING can force you off, unless it's by mutual agreement or serious violation.

I was "A" driver. I trusted my "B" driver explicitly. Exceptional driving record, before UPS and during. Careful, methodical.

Sleeping? No problem. Took me about 1 hour to get used to it. Many times, MANY times, he'd have to wake me up to take over. But with other events in my earlier life, I've learned to sleep whenever and wherever you can.

At the time, DOT regs are different now, I think, many were driving 5 on and 5 off. I don't know how they did it but they did. We drive, almost, max hours a day, each stint. When DOT expanded driving to 11 hours, many times we'd be at 10 3/4 for the day. Exhausting? Yes, but it sure helped when time to sleep. Besides, don't you do that on a regular feeder run?

We had everything we needed. TV, CD, XM, fridge, the works. Always something to do.

We had run that was about, if I can remember right, 5,000 miles a week. During peak, we'd take extras as our hours would allow, if fact we'd take extras ANY time they came up, and get over 6,000 miles a week. Most of the time, we were gone 6 days.

No, I don't think it's for family person. I was single and could do it. I would NEVER encourage anyone to do it that has family.

I'm leaving many parts out, I know, but if you have anymore specific questions, I think, after 5 years of sleeper and going almost everywhere, I can answer em.

Almost forgot, yes, we DID shower at truck stops. At the time, cost about $7. Very clean and nice. At least the ones we went to. And, NO, not coed. Comes off taxes too. Along with daily food allowance.

ReLooped

I'm utility...AGAIN!?
some senior sleeper drivers put nice mattresses in the berth. make sleeping much easier. falling asleep qont be too hard after 11 hrs of continous driving...just get some good ear plugs...and an extra blanket, hang it off the top bunk to be the 2nd curtain. works for me.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
At our barn you don't get your seniority for being the B driver. Too many older drivers were making cash deals to take out the bottom seniority guys just to get them their seniority. So if you don't have the seniority to win the A driver bid you don't get seniority for going out on sleeper team.
That's pretty pathetic that a probably 30+ year sleeper employee would feel like they need more money and make the low guys pay.