Change Of Ops in Northern Cali

The Natural

Yeah. I brought up those points to her... you know how wives are if you have one. Going south of where we are now is not gonna happen. She grew up in the bay area and won't go anywhere close to there. And I played ball in Visalia for a couple years and would never go back. I'm screwed . In Lathrop I would be high seniority too. Maybe it's time to have that shoulder surgery I've been putting off for years. Our package cars sups are a bunch of functioning retards. Hard to work for guys like that.

The Natural

and why are they trying to eliminate the Redding Feeder Dept?? In my area if you have 11 drivers its not a Dept its just drivers assigned to a building.
Originally the department had over 35 runs. Over the years the scheduler has moved those jobs to Roseburg . Sacramento and now Eureka and Lathrop. So... we are down to 11. Welcome to my world.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS is slowly but surely trying to run feeders out of the hubs and have a limited amount of them in extended centers.
I agree with that.
I remember being in a planning meeting in 1985 and that was discussed.
There are many advantages, especially in terms of flexibility, from having a feeder driver dispatched out of the hub than a stand-alone center.
The biggest obstacle is volume availability.
I don't see how UPS can ever eliminate domiciled feeder drivers in a center with the service commitments we have.

The Natural

They're slowly but surely doing it. By running over allowed miles and drivers willing to run on paper and cheat on their time cards. I see it everyday.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This company has always been overly supervised
Management's main responsibilities are to Plan, Organize but primarily to Execute.
One of the primary aspects of execute is the ability to control.
Controlling the operations and reducing exceptions is the key to smooth operations.
One of the main reasons for how screwwed up operations has become, IMHO, is that the reduction in the span of control has been increased from 7 or 8 to 20 or more drivers.
This reduction in Operations management has resulted in more uncontrolled operations with more exceptions due to less local planning.

The Natural

Management's main responsibilities are to Plan, Organize but primarily to Execute.
One of the primary aspects of execute is the ability to control.
Controlling the operations and reducing exceptions is the key to smooth operations.
One of the main reasons for how screwwed up operations has become, IMHO, is that the reduction in the span of control has been increased from 7 or 8 to 20 or more drivers.
This reduction in Operations management has resulted in more uncontrolled operations with more exceptions due to less local planning.
Blah. Blah. Blah. The point that's being missed is UPS is about the people that make it run. Not the numbers that determine it's worth. That has been totally lost and lives are being strongly effected. Not for the better.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Blah. Blah. Blah. The point that's being missed is UPS is about the people that make it run. Not the numbers that determine it's worth. That has been totally lost and lives are being strongly effected. Not for the better.
Well hell ... we all know that and it's discussed here in ad infinium.
I'm trying to help you understand why.
Basically it sucks to work for any Corporation ... sigh ... it is what it is.
Carry on, I'll let you rant freely ... we all feel that way too.

Overpaid Union Thug

I agree with that.
There are many advantages, especially in terms of flexibility, from having a feeder driver dispatched out of the hub than a stand-alone center.
I don't see how UPS can ever eliminate domiciled feeder drivers in a center with the service commitments we have.
I agree if it's actually more economical. But in the case of my center it wouldn't be. And most CPU runs are likely going to be more economical when they are based out of the centers the pickup's are serviced from in package.

blkmamba

You obviously have no clue as to our geographic location. We are perfectly located to be a meet point . There is no hub closer then Sacramento. The scheduler consistently builds jobs that run past us and go over the max miles allowed. It's self serving managers and schedulers that are more concerned with their numbers and bonuses then the people that make this company what it is..
The hub in Lathrop is much closer to Sacramento, Sonia the one in Ceres.

blkmamba

The OP said that the cost of living would be about twice what he is paying now.
Having lived in the area for a few years, I can honestly tell you that is 100% not true. The cost of living area is almost identical, just slightly higher in the area he would have to move to.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You should have followed the work and rented a crash pad during the week. It sucks but packages suck worse.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I agree with that.
A planning meeting in 1985... Lmao.. Was Jim Casey there telling you boys to shape up or ship out???

The Natural

You should have followed the work and rented a crash pad during the week. It sucks but packages suck worse.
I'm still considering that. I have 2 more days to decide. Hard to tell an 11 yr old son who counts on me for coaching his baseball team and being a dad that I'm only gonna see him 1 day a week.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Originally the department had over 35 runs. Over the years the scheduler has moved those jobs to Roseburg . Sacramento and now Eureka and Lathrop. So... we are down to 11. Welcome to my world.
I do know they were hiring off the street feeder drivers in roseburg because none of the pc rats wanted the work ....

The Natural

I do know they were hiring off the street feeder drivers in roseburg because none of the pc rats wanted the work ....
Yeah. They are doing that. Problem with that is their rider is horrible. No medical for retirees and not as good a contribution. I've done homework on that and know guys who followed work from our center up there..