Changes to the 2/3 rule to be voted on

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It was brought up at a recent local meeting that during the next convention they will be voting to change the 2/3 rule in the IBT constitution. Please talk to your delegates and make sure they know how you feel about the matter.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Both slates running in my local are voting to have it removed.

If the only way it will change is to remove it, I'm fine with that. But it had a purpose originally, which didn't include telling 50,000 Teamsters to take a hike. Clarifying it so that it only applies to very particular situations might be better.

M

MenInBrown

It was brought up at a recent local meeting that during the next convention they will be voting to change the 2/3 rule in the IBT constitution. Please talk to your delegates and make sure they know how you feel about the matter.
Will it take 2/3 to overturn the 2/3?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The only time that the over 50 percent UPS voter participation threshold occurred was right after the “97” strike ... Will that provision go along with the 2/3 one?

Only elected delegates to the IBT convention, vote on constitutional changes.

Members don't participate in that vote. They only vote for who their delegates will be.

(if it's not a white ballot)

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The only time that the over 50 percent UPS voter participation threshold occurred was right after the “97” strike ... Will that provision go along with the 2/3 one?

If the 2/3 rule goes, and unless it is replaced with something different, it will take a simple majority of votes cast to turn down a contract. I would be interested to see any new proposed language. I'd like to see if turning down a contract with a simple majority will automatically authorize a strike, or will a separate strike authorization vote have to be held?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
If the 2/3 rule goes, and unless it is replaced with something different, it will take a simple majority of votes cast to turn down a contract. I would be interested to see any new proposed language. I'd like to see if turning down a contract with a simple majority will automatically authorize a strike, or will a separate strike authorization vote have to be held?

It would put a lot of trust back to our new leadership if that happens...none of this “Dirty Deeds Done Cheap” business like the last two...

we all should be tired of being played...:felloforit1:

A strike authorization vote always has to be held separately, this only give the union permission to call a strike if it comes to that. Voting down a contract does not and will not, in and of itself, declare a strike.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
A strike authorization vote always has to be held separately, this only give the union permission to call a strike if it comes to that. Voting down a contract does not and will not, in and of itself, declare a strike.

If you read the 2/3 rule in the IBT constitution, you will see that if the contract is turned down by a simple majority of more than 50% of eligible voters, or by 2/3 of less than 50% of eligible voters, a strike is automatically authorized.

Article 12 section 2

"all votes cast as follows:
(1) If at least one half of the members eligible to vote cast valid ballots then a cumulative majority of those voting in favor of the fnal offer shall result in acceptance of such offer; and a cumulative ma‑ jority of those voting against acceptance of the friend‑ nal offer shall authorize a strike without any addi‑ tional vote being necessary for such strike authorization. A tie vote shall be resolved as pro‑ vided in Section 1(b)(l) of this Article�
(2) If less than half of the eligible members cast valid ballots, then a twothirds (2/3) vote of those voting shall be required to reject such fnal offer and to authorize a strike. The failure of such membership to reject the fnal offer and to authorize a strike as herein provided shall require the negotiating com‑ mittee to accept such fnal offer or such additional provisions as can be negotiated by it"

Strike authorization votes can be called earlier in the process to give the union more leverage in negotiations. If a strike wasn't already authorized prior to the ratification vote, they would need the threat of a strike to get the company back to the table. Last contract, UPS stated publicly they were willing to continue negotiations, and even with a previously authorized strike, Teamsters ratified anyway.