Changing Our Holidays

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I was thinking today about our UPS holidays while delivering during election day. UPS considers Columbus Day and Veterans Day as working holidays. It makes no sense on any level to consider Columbus Day a holiday, but UPS pays us double to work that day.

Here's my idea : Move our working holiday to MLK day in January. More businesses are closed that day anyways and actually since UPS is based out of Atlanta (a big civil-rights city), a better PR move would be to make it a non-working holiday. This would force more businesses to close for the day and turn it into a national holiday on the lines of Thanksgiving and New Years Day.

I know it would have to be structured in a new contract but I think it's a trailblazing idea and would have to make Fed-Ex take that day off too (BAD PR) so we wouldn't lose business anyways. Postal service is off regardless.

Just a thought

bumped

I was thinking today about our UPS holidays while delivering during election day. UPS considers Columbus Day and Veterans Day as working holidays. It makes no sense on any level to consider Columbus Day a holiday, but UPS pays us double to work that day.

Here's my idea : Move our working holiday to MLK day in January. More businesses are closed that day anyways and actually since UPS is based out of Atlanta (a big civil-rights city), a better PR move would be to make it a non-working holiday. This would force more businesses to close for the day and turn it into a national holiday on the lines of Thanksgiving and New Years Day.

I know it would have to be structured in a new contract but I think it's a trailblazing idea and would have to make Fed-Ex take that day off too (BAD PR) so we wouldn't lose business anyways. Postal service is off regardless.

Just a thought

I'm not part of the "us" :(

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
We get paid for the day as a holiday. Then we get paid to work on that day. That's my reasoning in saying we are paid double. I was under the assumption we all had those 2 days referred to as "working holidays" Maybe that is only up here in New England. ??

BrownArmy

I'm outside of Boston. Here we get paid for a holiday on Columbus Day - I have no idea why, since I can't imagine why it's an actual holiday.

(You think he's cool in Kindergarten, until you learn some facts...).

If you don't work, you just get paid for the holiday.

If you work, you really do get paid double.

It's sort of silly...

JonFrum

You don't get holiday pay for Columbo Day dude. I'd like to see that paystub or I call BS.
The New England Supplement has had the following language in it for years:

"ARTICLE 60 SUNDAY - HOLIDAYS - SICK LEAVE
Section 1
The following shall be recognized as paid holidays and all full-time seniority employees shall be paid eight (8) hours straight time pay therefore: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and December 31, irrespective of the day on which the holidays fall. Part-time seniority employees will be paid four (4) hours for the holidays."

Is "Columbo Day" in honor of the New York La Cosa Nostra Organized Crime Family, or the yogurt?

tracker2762

Years ago we had Columbus Day off and the rest of the week was worst than peak. We traded that holiday for a personal
day. We've (my center) had the day after Thanksgiving off even before this change.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
My area south of Boston gets paid 8 hours plus hours worked for columbus day, and veterans day.

So it is like double time for the first 8 hours, then you just get time and half after 8 hours.

MLK and presidents day are just paid as normal day.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You guys in the Northeast can now quit whining about the high cost of living. You get 16 hours more pay than us poor saps in the Mid-west.:peaceful: