Changing Our Holidays

JonFrum

You guys in the Northeast can now quit whining about the high cost of living. You get 16 hours more pay than us poor saps in the Mid-west.:peaceful:
Maybe not.

We do get 16 hours straight time pay for the two holidays. We do get time-and-one-half for all hours worked on those days. And almost everyone is required to work.

But our Top Rate for Package Car Drivers is currently $29.965. I think most other areas make a few cents more per hour all year long. In effect, we "bought" those holidays by accepting a lesser hourly rate.

Year's ago we also gave up Washington's Birthday (now President's Day) to have a different holiday off. (Either the Day After Thanksgiving or December 31st, can't remember which.)

It's amazing how many improvements in the Contract are bought by us, rather than won from the Company. And then there are the improvements that are bought by one group in the bargaining unit by shortchanging another less powerful or less aware group. Or bought for the current members by selling out the "unborn."

rod

Retired 22 years
Maybe not.

We do get 16 hours straight time pay for the two holidays. We do get time-and-one-half for all hours worked on those days. And almost everyone is required to work.

But our Top Rate for Package Car Drivers is currently $29.965. I think most other areas make a few cents more per hour all year long. In effect, we "bought" those holidays by accepting a lesser hourly rate.

Year's ago we also gave up Washington's Birthday (now President's Day) to have a different holiday off. (Either the Day After Thanksgiving or December 31st, can't remember which.)

It's amazing how many improvements in the Contract are bought by us, rather than won from the Company. And then there are the improvements that are bought by one group in the bargaining unit by shortchanging another less powerful or less aware group. Or bought for the current members by selling out the "unborn."

Dang- you guys are like Govt. workers out there. Consider yourselves lucky. I don't believe the pay scale for any full time driver is over $29.965 an hour. I could be wrong on that and I'm sure someone will let me know it if I am.:happy2:

rod

Retired 22 years
$30.09 here

all right!!!! I wonder how that compares to the $6.75 an hour I got in 1971. All I know is that between the $6.75 I got and the $3.50 my wife was bringing in working for the State we were on top of the world. Saved up enough ($10.000) the 1st year we were married to put a healthy down payment on a 3 bedroom lake house. (Total price of the house was $18,000.) My house payments were $96 bucks a month and that included taxes and insurance. Fuel oil was 16 cents a gallon.

all right!!!! I wonder how that compares to the $6.75 an hour I got in 1971. All I know is that between the $6.75 I got and the $3.50 my wife was bringing in working for the State we were on top of the world. Saved up enough ($10.000) the 1st year we were married to put a healthy down payment on a 3 bedroom lake house. (Total price of the house was $18,000.) My house payments were $96 bucks a month and that included taxes and insurance. Fuel oil was 16 cents a gallon.
Those were the days.

rod

Retired 22 years

I just Googled it and it said that our combined income of $10.25 an hour in 1971 would be the same as $55.62 an hour now. Wow!! It really was better back then.

bl04a

i don't know about the rest of the country, but in Philly we don't get paid for Columbus Day unless we work it. And then just straight time

Big Babooba

We get paid for the day as a holiday. Then we get paid to work on that day. That's my reasoning in saying we are paid double. I was under the assumption we all had those 2 days referred to as "working holidays" Maybe that is only up here in New England. ??
Heff, you're cheating yourself. We get the holiday pay - 8 hours @ regular rate, plus time and a half for all hours worked.

TheKid

We get paid 8 hrs. holiday pay for both Columbus Day and Veteran's Day plus 1.5 X for hours worked.
Works out to about $75.00 / hr. for the 1st 8 hrs

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
In the next contract, we are getting October 27 off as well . It's a New England holiday to celebrate the Red Sox winning the World Series after 86 yrs of being a bridesmaid !!!! We are trying to get Bill Belichick "s birthday off too!!!