Changing Positions

Guru

Hello, I've been a package handler for over a month now and I wanted to ask you experienced folks a few questions. Is it possible for me to get a different job within UPS as an unloader without going through the whole process (training), and is it possible to get a different shift?

BLACKBALLED

First off you just started, normally you should stay at your current task for at leat 6 months, what most sups try to do is move employees with more seniority around if feasable, you cant move shifts before your 6 months is up and if you need to move to another center that is between you and your manager. I give this advice because I learned the hard way! If you are a hard worker and show this than your sup will recognise it and do their best to put you in a more productive area. why do you want to move?

Guru

I don't really know how it is in different locations but from what I've heard from my location is the harder you work, the more they pile on you. The guy to the right who works with me has been here for over 3 years and he does 5 cars sometimes. I don't have a problem with that nor do I have a problem with preloading, I just wanted to know what the rules were regarding this. Because one of my old partners became a loader and was a preloader like myself.

BLACKBALLED

A good tip, get out of preload asap. Preload in UPS is a death sentence!

I kinda agree with Orly, preload is the toughest only because that is the crucial times for the trailers to get unloaded and the trucks to be loaded for proper departure times, You have all of the sups including the Center Managers breathing down your neck and more than likely yelling at you making your nerve shake and threatning you and all of the other wonderful things that they feel the need to in their minds make you work faster.

Guru

Exactly!

Someone tell me how to get out of it. My friend just sucked, plain and simple, he was terrible at it so instead of firing him, they just moved him to unloading. He told me how easier it is and so I want to give it a try. Who should I speak to regarding this?

BLACKBALLED

Your Supervisor and your Center Manager! Do it with good intentions dont make it sound like you dont want to work, they will eat you alive if you do!

BLACKBALLED

There are other areas in preload, unloading trailers, shifting or you can ask if you can move to another shift, again you are new so it might not be feasable, you may get lucky and the manager may be under pressure to cut hours and staffing from his Boss it has happened. Just ask is there any other areas that you need help in and see what they say! Let them know your skills if you have any and how that may benefit them in other areas, remember its all about what can you do for them becasue they need to produce.

Guru

As a rule of thumb I always try to get in about three positions before it's over but this all depends on what kind of mood mrs. 407 is in.
I don't get what you mean by three positions before. I think you talk to the manager when the actual job I want is posted but that wouldn't work out for me seeing how the only jobs that are posted as an entry level position is preloader (package handler). My trainer even said they had a high number rate which left the preloader position and even UPS because the labor was to intense for them.

I'm willing to do anything to get out of the preloader position. It's annoying at times and I rather be doing something else that I enjoy, like unloading.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I don't get what you mean by three positions before. I think you talk to the manager when the actual job I want is posted but that wouldn't work out for me seeing how the only jobs that are posted as an entry level position is preloader (package handler). My trainer even said they had a high number rate which left the preloader position and even UPS because the labor was to intense for them.

I'm willing to do anything to get out of the preloader position. It's annoying at times and I rather be doing something else that I enjoy, like unloading.

Think about it.

I don't get what you mean by three positions before. I think you talk to the manager when the actual job I want is posted but that wouldn't work out for me seeing how the only jobs that are posted as an entry level position is preloader (package handler). My trainer even said they had a high number rate which left the preloader position and even UPS because the labor was to intense for them.I'm willing to do anything to get out of the preloader position. It's annoying at times and I rather be doing something else that I enjoy, like unloading.
When you are married for twelve years someday you will understand. You gotta take what you can get.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
There is still pressure in the unload, if not more than in preloading cars. In my center, the unload is a starting position, and one most loaders don't want to go back to. I'm more surprised that your friend prefers it to loading. There are no fun jobs at UPS per se, only some people that make them seem fun. Will your friend get your preload spot if you go to the unload?