Changing Sorts

coolerguy

I was wondering how to change sorts without using school reasons. I was told by a full time supe that a letter in writing is required but wasn't sure if it had to be on school terms or not. I've been on the night sort since july 2007.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Simply write the letter citing the reason(s) for the request. School would be helpful but not mandatory. There may be someone on the sort that you want to work on that may also be looking for a change.

JonFrum

[This post was posted last night but later disappeared so I'm reposting it now.]

If you mean changing from one sort to another within your building, this National Master language applies:

Article 22 --- Part-Time Employees
Section 4
. . .
The following will be incorporated into the job selection procedures in the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum:

The Employer will fill all vacancies and permanent new jobs for part-time employees from the part-time selection list in all months except November and December.

Part-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority shall have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical, Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Carwasher, Loader and Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been established.

Part-time employees with less than six (6) months seniority shall have the right to bid a preferred job prior to the Employer hiring from off-the-street.

A maximum of twenty-five percent (25%) of the employees on a shift shall be allowed to change shifts in any one (1) calendar year. The employee obtaining the new position shall remain on that shift for at least six (6) months.

http://www.teamster.org/sites/teams...06 09 Final UPS Master Agreemnt 2008-2013.pdf

Check your Supplement for possible language as well.
http://tdu.org/node/1617

JonFrum

Ah! Just realized the original poster still has two nearly identical threads. I thought a moderator must have deleted one of them.