Charity

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I've been donating for over a year now but just found out only a small % actually gets used
so I am going to stop
I stopped decades ago .
Right after I found out that my p/t sup had signed up everyone in his group without permission . One call to payroll and it was stopped , of course they won't refund my money.

It's always been a scam.
The company " donates " employees to help promote the idea that UW is the one charity to give to. Then they use the donated time as a tax write off.

Had an fellow employee , who always gave a lot , who had a stroke and was on hard times. So he approached UW for help and they turned him away . Instead we fellow employees ( all p/t ) took up a collection for him for several years to enable him to as he put it " buy some steaks ".

Boston25

My father donated to United way for years. When he worked for New England telephone he was on strike for 17 weeks and I was just born. My parents went to them for help and they turned them down. Stopped donating once I found that out.

clean hairy

This was years ago, but there was a woman with a young child had to get away from her husband and had nothing.
Came to work at UPS and was directed to UW for assistance.
They decided since she worked at UPS she did not need assistance.
Said they only helped those who really needed it.

Ghost in the Darkness

If a sup ever enrolled me on a payroll deduction I can tell you it would be WWIII and I wouldn't stop until that person lost their job.

My advice if you do give is to never allow a payroll deduction and give only via one-time donation personal check made out directly to whichever designee... never make out to UW directly.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I’m sure United Way does help those in need, but every time I hear a story about someone that’s down on their luck and needs a hand up, they turn a blind as as if they aren’t in bad shape enough.

Does United Way just want to wait till these people hit rock bottom before giving them something to barely live on? Most people who had some serious problems work it out but just need some margin in their life to get things straight until they do. It’s harder when you get behind on everything versus treading water where you can maintain a job that’s barely paying the bills.

F

Frankie's Friend

Poor CEO of United Way barely makes it too:
Ranked #13 in 2015 highest paid non-profit CEOs..........
20180211_074657.jpg

Thanks for your (gullible and pressured) support.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
we stopped after the UW scandals hit the news. upon further research found that only a small percentage of your donation makes it to people in need.

it was a royal PIA getting it stopped. payroll would not do it until I contacted the union.

we give locally. scouts, food banks , humane society ,etc. nationally you can't go wrong with St. Judes and Schriners.