Cheap shippers?

mavs972

Last week I covered a route for a week, I received a complaint that I didn't pick up at a place all week but once. It's a smart pick up, so I didn't go there every time they cancelled their PU. Yet the OMS sends me a message that the shipper called and I didn't pick up. I shouldn't be required to pick up there only it has a Y by the PU. I don't get any time allowance if I go by there anyway. Is the shipper doing this on purpose to get free pick ups?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They probably don't even know what they are supposed to do. If I got a message to pick up I would tell the oms to send me an on call pick up.

Ps who cares if you get time allowance or not?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You dont go unless its in your board so youre fine and you can have your sup explain what a smart pickup is to the oms. The shipper likely doesnt know they even have a smart pickup. I've had to educate a couple shippers who have it about how it works. They have to print a label from their shipper account that the smart pickup is on at least like 90 min prior to the pickup or it gets canceled in the board. If they don't ship that day and have an ARS or something we're not coming.

Sent using BrownCafe App

AKCoverMan

I have run into accounts where the smart PU gets cancelled but they have package going out. Turns out they sometimes have different shipper accounts for different divisions at same business. If they don't ship with the one linked to the smart pickup computer doesn't think they have anything.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You are to only do daily pickups from the addresses in your board. If a smart pickup comes out it isn't your responsibility to go by. If they have a problem with it they need to contact their account rep or the 1-800 number.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have 3 Smart Pickups on my area. Each of them are fully aware of the process. They all also have my cell phone number just in case they process something after the cutoff time.

To the OP---if the pickup dropped out of the pickup log you are not required to go there (that is the whole point) and should not worry about the concern as you did nothing wrong.

Z

ZQXC

It would seem that corporate intended to give those shippers a limited window to ship, in exchange for a lower cost.

You are providing full shipping privileges at a discount; shame on you.

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It would seem that corporate intended to give those shippers a limited window to ship in exchange for a lower cost.

You are providing full shipping privileges at a discount; shame on you.

Yeah, shame on me for taking care of the customers. Shame on me for going back to Gamestop in the afternoon because I think the corporate agreement to pick up and deliver at the same time (10 am) is stupid as hell. Shame on me for reattempting send agains that I drive by in the afternoon. Shame on me for giving my personal cell phone number to certain customers so they can meet me and get their stuff early. Shame on me for working with my Smart Pickups to make sure they are taken care of if they have a late order. Shame on me for making sure the UPS Store has Forever Bags to sort their smalls. Shame on me for separating the college delivery by students and facility or for going back to the bookstore during their busy season for a second unscheduled pickup. Shame on me for indirecting packages for schools that are closed for the day to the district office, which then shuttles them the following day. Shame on me for doing all of the little things that I do to take care of my customers.

Indecisi0n

I believe shipping RS's wont activate the smart shipping to "Y" either. If you are forced to go back get him to send you a pickup in your board or unscheduled it.

upschuck

Yeah, shame on me for taking care of the customers. Shame on me for going back to Gamestop in the afternoon because I think the corporate agreement to pick up and deliver at the same time (10 am) is stupid as hell. Shame on me for reattempting send agains that I drive by in the afternoon. Shame on me for giving my personal cell phone number to certain customers so they can meet me and get their stuff early. Shame on me for working with my Smart Pickups to make sure they are taken care of if they have a late order. Shame on me for making sure the UPS Store has Forever Bags to sort their smalls. Shame on me for separating the college delivery by students and facility or for going back to the bookstore during their busy season for a second unscheduled pickup. Shame on me for indirecting packages for schools that are closed for the day to the district office, which then shuttles them the following day. Shame on me for doing all of the little things that I do to take care of my customers.
All the things you do is fine except for the school one. They pay us to deliver to the address on the box, not someone else, and for them to take it to the intended place.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
You sound like a man in dire need of a week off. You seem to be a little grumpier than usual. No one will dispute your personal commitment to your customers but at times you need to walk away, sit on the deck, crack a cold one, and throw something on the grill.

Johney

What I find odd Dave is I believe you stated at one time you run -1.00 or more a day(please correct me if I'm wrong there). How in the hell can you run that far under yet do all these extra freebies for your customers? Certainly you don't get credit for unscheduled pick-ups,redelivering send-agains,taking time to talk to customers and arranging meet points for them,separating collage delivery's. All these things you get no credit for? Please let us in on your secret methods.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

All the things you do is fine except for the school one. They pay us to deliver to the address on the box, not someone else, and for them to take it to the intended place.

As for the schools I know ahead of time which ones are open or closed and indirect only the closed ones. The school system has a shuttle driver who then runs them off. Win/win overall.

Resident know-it-all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What I find odd Dave is I believe you stated at one time you run -1.00 or more a day(please correct me if I'm wrong there). How in the hell can you run that far under yet do all these extra freebies for your customers? Certainly you don't get credit for unscheduled pick-ups,redelivering send-agains,taking time to talk to customers and arranging meet points for them,separating collage delivery's. All these things you get no credit for? Please let us in on your secret methods.

I work quickly and smoothly.

Resident know-it-all.