RIP, Cheryl and Tony are together again

35years

Gravy route
This site has been invaluable to me and many others. From learning how to defend myself against harrassment, learning what is B.S. when dealing with management, to hearing what is going on in different regions, the info saved my job more than once.

At this point, after 40 years at UPS, the guys come to me when they need advice. The advice others on this forum have shared gets passed on to the young guns so they don't get harassed or canned.

It would be a tragedy if the site folds.

wkmac

With a heavy heart, I have to announce that the owner of Brown Cafe has left us. Tony Express passed away from cancer on May 7 and Cheryl passed on May 22. I don't know the reason and it doesn't really matter, I would like to think maybe it being from a broken heart. They met in high school and were together ever since. They both led a full life and had many adventures from what I know.

Cheryl's daughter announced this to the mod staff a couple of days ago and is now trying to decide what to do with her site. I spoke with her today and she would like to find somebody to continue her mother's vision. The Brown Cafe was her first website and started on October 12, 1999. It came about because Cheryl was involved with a Motely Fool UPS discussion board and didn't like how people were disrespected and bullied on there. Her idea was to have a place where people could have mature discussions about the company. She didn't care if you were a union member, management, liberal, or conservative. Cheryl just wanted a place where ideas could be discussed in a reasonable way. To this day, I never have known what her political stances were. Personally, as a moderator, I feel like I have failed her. Moderating a discussion board is a very difficult task I have found. I don't know the reason or who actually started disputes among different members. So for now, let us try to enjoy this place as long as it lasts. I currently don't know the future of what will happen.

Man I hate to hear this. Being retired I pop in every several months or so for a minute to read what people are thinking/saying about work life and then to read this. Tony and Cheryl were wonderful people and I do remember those Motley Fool days and the frustration Cheryl had with Motley Fool mods and their heavy handedness when people dared to even post a sniff of anything internal. They claimed "insider information" which is funny when the deleted post was someone bitching about a supervisor or some such nothingness. Cheryl had enough and here we are.

For all practical purposes I no longer post as I've gone on to other things in life, which I'm enjoying immensely away from Big Brown but I just wanted to say a big thanks to Cheryl and Tony and just hope somehow this site can continue as memoriam to them and also for UPSers so they can connect to one another. I always thought that this was the best thing about BC. RIP Cheryl and Tony, job well done. Wishing all of you the best, a long and healthy life and so much happiness you just can stand yourself. :laugh:

Take care all!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
On behalf of all the FedEx community on this site, I wish to thank Tony and Cheryl for their generosity in allowing the competition a room to stay in her house. The sense of loss at the news is sobering. May God send His angels to comfort their family, knowing they are enjoying paradise in God’s presence.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I haven't been to this site in a long while...

This is a good site to vent/joke about the job and share information. A way to decompress...

but alas, the next generation is moving on to other platforms as the Internet is ever-evolving

Ever since i had to make a life choice in helping my lil brother acquire a specialized wheelchair van, i went off to a different platform since those owners only use that to share their experiences with the maintenance of that out-of-production vehicle.

thank you OP for sharing this sad news

RIP Cheryl & Tony

AKCoverMan

I’ve posted on and off for my 17ish years with UPS…but I’ve been on a couple months hiatus. I was very sad to hear this news. my condolence to the families and my thanks for this wonderful forum!

Brown Buddy

UPSnBrowns
God bless them and if anyone in the family needs an ear, arm or anything else I can do please reach out anytime and let me know.

I would love to help keep the site alive and support the brown cafe. Who are the current mods? How can I help?