Christmas as a ups driver.

Ouch

Amongst all the hustle of the holiday season, I usually lost out on Christmas traditions. It was hard for me to really enjoy the Christmas season. I refused to let the long days and sometimes 6 day work week interfere with one tradition we do. Cooking smores on an open fire and riding around with the kids and looking at Christmas lights in nearby neighborhoods. Quality family time while singing Christmas carols in the car. I know may sound cheesey to some but its alot of fun judging the light shows and listening to my son sing out of tune lol lol. So here is your chance, give me one tradition you refuse to give up no matter how tired or how many days or hours you've worked.

The one thing that Xmas as a ups driver has consistently given me inside is hate. I know hate is a strong word but I don't know any other to use.

I hate how I'm treated from the highest mgmt person to the lowliest customer.
I hate how it builds up inside and makes me treat others less than how I should treat them.
I hate how at its essence it all revolves around one thing. Some it's the money it makes them. Some it's the things it brings them. Some it's the complete disregard for every thing else in the world other than " where's my package?"
I hate it when I see a once great company look like a bumbling fool every year.
It's like a blackness. A poison invading my soul.

The good of it is I've come to recognize it when it's in me. I leave work and once I punch out my goal is to rid myself of the hate every chance I get. It might be to get someone's car jump started in the parking lot even though I'm dead tired and want to go home. I treat the idiot drivers on the way home with a little more compassion because I know they just want to go home too. Be a little more polite to strangers. Give a little more to the bell ringers. Treat my neighbors a little more neighborly. Treat my wife like the husband she deserves. Treat my kids with love and enthusiasm and admire their complete naivety of the real world around them that let's them still be kids.
And by the time I turn in hopefully the blackness has gone and I can get enough rest to let me get up and face it all over again and somehow find a glimmer of hope that the next day as a ups driver might go a little better.

Future

Victory Ride
The one thing that Xmas as a ups driver has consistently given me inside is hate. I know hate is a strong word but I don't know any other to use.

I hate how it builds up inside and makes me treat others less than how I should treat them.
I hate how at its essence it all revolves around one thing. Some it's the money it makes them. Some it's the things it brings them. Some it's the complete disregard for every thing else in the world other than " where's my package?"

The good of it is I've come to recognize it when it's in me. I leave work and once I punch out my goal is to rid myself of the hate every chance I get. It might be to get someone's car jump started in the parking lot even though I'm dead tired and want to go home. I treat the idiot drivers on the way home with a little more compassion because I know they just want to go home too. Be a little more polite to strangers. Give a little more to the bell ringers. Treat my neighbors a little more neighborly. Treat my wife like the husband she deserves. Treat my kids with love and enthusiasm and admire their complete naivety of the real world around them that let's them still be kids.
And by the time I turn in hopefully the blackness has gone and I can get enough rest to let me get up and face it all over again and somehow find a glimmer of hope that the next day as a ups driver might go a little better.
Holy Crap this is almost biblical?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
We used to try to make Christmas Eve mass but as our peaks have gotten more insane the rushwas not worth it. By the time I got home it would be time to go to the in laws. After celebrating at their house, we would get home and I would be totally exhausted. We found that attending mass on Christmas day was perfect. It was relaxing but most of all it became a joyful celebration of the season. May I wish all my brothers and sisters in brown a joyous and blessed Christmas and a safe and sane New Year.

iruhnman630

Christmas, at least the secular part of it, has been destroyed for me as their is nothing good in it anymore. I very much believe in the the birth of Christ and what that means, but as for the secular celebration of Christmas, there will come a day when my parents are gone and I will never again celebrate the holiday.

Ironically I posted this just a few moments after a picture popped up on my facebook page of little kids singing in the Christmas program on the very same baptist church stage I grew up having so much fun at Christmas time.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Peak season is the best time of year for me. : no routes are cut so i have a tighter delivery area,cooler weather,helper,and none of the stupid 'numbers' BS,no whinging about Telematics, and I dont have to spend much quality time with my mangement team. I'd keep things like this year round of i could

542thruNthru

Wearing my Santa hat and my helper wearing his reindeer hat. (always gets a lot of tips that I pass on to my helper. Plus I give him his xmas bonus that day.)

Peak to me really is what you make it. I go out ready to make some people happy and make myself happy when an annoying customer needs to be brought down a peg or two. :devil3:

Merry Christmas Everyone!!:biggrin:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
With this job you cant enjoy xmas at all. All you do is work late as balls every night and get up early as balls every morning. Sleep deprived like a mother. Real enjoyable stuff gettin whooped like a dog for now it seems like 4 to 6 weeks for peak. And people wonder why you cant enjoy xmas.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I hate the little yellow, blue and peak sweetener packs all mixed together.
I arrange them ordered peak, blue and yellow.
I feel better then.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown

Aren't you a feeder driver?

Sent from Nexus 7 using BrownCafe mobile app