Christmas Eve excessive hours problem

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Can the union do anything to stop in the future what happened this year? Drivers way over dispatched, 12 hour day. I never seen it this bad, ever.

I know we have to work but historically, we worked a 8 hour day on Christmas Eve.

Can the union do anything to stop in the future what happened this year? Drivers way over dispatched, 12 hour day. I never seen it this bad, ever.

I know we have to work but historically, we worked a 8 hour day on Christmas Eve.

Do what? My sympathies but Xmas eve is not a holiday. We're in the package delivery business and this has been our busy time of the year since the beginning. Poor planning along with bad weather doesn't change the fact of what we do.

Ouch

Hey Wally it sucked here to. Talked to a couple buddies yesterday that said they were heavier yesterday than on peak day. Way understaffed, missed the projection by a mile. I dont know of anything the union could do if UPS played by the rules. I looked and cant find a contract violation at least out of my building, other than sups working.

Johney

Left my sister-in-laws with the family last night at 10:30 and passed a package car still 30 minutes from the building. At least it looked like he was heading back. Paid holiday or not that is wrong.

bumped

Do what? My sympathies but Xmas eve is not a holiday. We're in the package delivery business and this has been our busy time of the year since the beginning. Poor planning along with bad weather doesn't change the fact of what we do.

UPS has us designate closed businesses as closed holiday. So, it is a holiday.

Spicybrother

Well Wally, I know it's tough. You guys are the "horsepower" of the company. I don't have an answer but my hat is off to you all. I don't know what this company would do without as well trained and hard working guys as package car drivers. I once was but now am a fat ass feeder driver :D. I run down the road with a bunch of former package car drivers and we often look at the younger guys and say those guys are the heart of this company. Cheers! Merry Christmas! Count that big ole wad of money you made and I hope they plan better next year.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Are you asking the union to basically tell UPS how to run their company?

Yep! Another abuse the union should shut down. This was never a problem until the last couple of years. I never complain about working late, never, but when you miss being with the family because you get home at 10:30 on Christmas Eve, I'm sorry, but that's over the line.

Squint

No more work for me!
Historically, UPS has been good about getting people off the road on Christmas Eve. Always had a buffet spread for us with all the fixings. What the hell happened to this company? I've not driven since 2003 and been retired for almost three years but I've never heard anything like the stories I'm reading now. Once while I was driving on Christmas Eve I was the last one in the building and that was at 4 pm. I understand all about the weather but we had our snowstorms then too.

I.E. is notorious for loading up the drivers but it seems they really dropped the ball on this one.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Can the union do anything to stop in the future what happened this year?

No....

Not with the current contract language.

Are you asking the union to basically tell UPS how to run their company?

The 70% of members.... that didn't vote on the contract.... probably think so.

Yep! Another abuse the union should shut down.

The IBT isn't going to try and negotiate language, that would prevent the company from

making money during peak season. Thats why you make the "big" bucks.

DOT limits your hours. That's the way it is.

If more members participated in the Union.... things could be different.

-Bug-

some1else

Banned
I was out until 1030. I dont mind but i really think alot of these OT problems would be solved if
0-8hrs is 1x
8-9.5 is 1.5x
And 9.5-12 is 3x
And 12-over is 5x

If that was in a contract might be the first one id ever vote yes on

M

MenInBrown

This is my 14th Xmas and every year we talk about how it gets worst. You would think after a few xmas's, they would figure it out. At my center, one of the biggest problems is, that it's the physical flunkies who are supervisors now.

1pocket73

I had 375 stops.Luckily one of our drivers was light and done by 1pm,enabling him to take 100 off me over 3 meet points.Late air created extra meet points in the afternoon,causing me to drive throughout my area a second time.Helper(female) needed a bathroom break twice,so I had to break off for them.Had a tote full of air shoved at me in the morning that wasn't even mine,causing me to be even more inefficient.The first air pu meet point was the wrong location and had to double back in traffic to get to the right place,which proved to be worthless anyway because all of my stuff was at the nose of the truck! "Sorry,we'll have to meet later man!".....Complete waste of 25 minutes.
Did I mention what a nightmare my load was too??At least I got to spend a few hours with my family after that chaos!Fun times.......

Sent using BrownCafe App

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They were still delivering to my house after 8 pm last night.
Neither FedEx or UPS delivered to my house after Friday 12/20.
I have things in my cart at Amazon for a week now.
I held off to keep from adding to the problems.

If you were getting packages yesterday, you were part of the problem! :wink-very: